• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Keep getting this email from GoFundMe: Wondering what the scam is?

Hi Melanie, Welcome to GoFundMe! Please click the button below to confirm your email address.   Confirm Email  Have questions? Contact us here. Welcome!The GoFundMe Team 

Hi Melanie,

Welcome to GoFundMe! Please click the button below to confirm your email address.

Have questions? Contact us here

Welcome!
The GoFundMe Team

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What is the actual links goes to?

If it's actually from GoFund me, then someone might just mis-typed their address while trying to register on the site. In that case, contact GoFund me from their home page.

rated:
Is your name Melanie, or do they even have the wrong person?

If you don't recognize it as something you initiated, I'd ignore it if it's just an email, especially if that isn't even your name.

Be careful when opening emails that you don't recognize/expect, and do NOT click through that link within the email (the link that you've posted here).

If you do decide that you want to contact the organization about this issue, contact them through their main method of contact that you can discover by going independently to their website.

rated:
Call 911

rated:
oppidum said:   Is your name Melanie, or do they even have the wrong person?

If you don't recognize it as something you initiated, I'd ignore it if it's just an email, especially if that isn't even your name.

Be careful when opening emails that you don't recognize/expect, and do NOT click through that link within the email (the link that you've posted here).

If you do decide that you want to contact the organization about this issue, contact them through their main method of contact that you can discover by going independently to their website.

'
wrong person...  Got a suspicious activity email, account reset from Groupon at the same time...

rated:
You reset the groupon email directly on their website and didn't click the link in the email. I hope.

I would also check your email login activity, just to be safe. Gmail, for example, can shows your last few login IP address and time if you go through the web interface. It's on the lower right side.

rated:
Change your passwords to be safe.

Do you have a @yahoo.com email address?

rated:
I had a Gmail account when it was still in beta in 2003/2004... so I have a very short email address. I get these mistaken emails several times a week for websites catering to purveyors of anime, adoption, sodomy meetups, mental health services, et al.

rated:
Crazytree said:   I had a Gmail account when it was still in beta in 2001/2002... so I have a very short email address. I get these mistaken emails several times a week for websites catering to purveyors of anime, adoption, sodomy meetups, mental health services, et al.

Good times. I registered as many Vanity accounts as possible for resale when it launched in 2004.

rated:
know my Macys account is also locked

Do any retailers except WalMart store CC's w/o CID verfiication?

rated:
vickh,

You must not follow any links from within emails that are sent to you telling you that anything needs to be reset. These are often sent by scammers. (Did you change your Groupon account details from within the email that you got which was purportedly from Groupon?)

If you want to change your account details anywhere, you need to go to each website directly, from a clean browsing session and without being logged in to anything (preferably from a different computer too, if you think yours might have a virus or keylogger on it), and update your details that way.

If you are getting all these strange-sounding emails and you now find that you have a locked account at Macy's, etc., this is the time for action -- you need to change all your passwords, user names, security questions, contact email address, etc. -- check to see if there are any unauthorized charges on your credit cards, maybe change your credit card numbers with your cc companies, maybe put a freeze on your credit at the main credit reporting agencies, etc.

If you are looking for detailed steps of what to do and what to think about, there are many sources out there on the internet.  One place to go for step-by-step instructions when your online information has been stolen is at www.krebsonsecurity.com (see the sidebar listing of his most popular posts).

You can also look at some of the online-info advice on this recent thread: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1542853

rated:
I'm pretty sure GoFundMe IS the scam.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017