• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have international call blocking enabled on all my cellphone lines &  is also confirmed by me calling CSR that international call block in place.
My dad uses google voice to call internationally. But somehow the calls went through tmobile even though I have international call blocking enabled. 
Now tmobile is charging me over $1000 for overseas calls. 
I contacted the csr but they are willing to offer only a max of $250 credit. 
Is there is any legal course of action as it is tmobile's fault that the calls went through even after placing international call blocking. 
Any helpful advice is much appreciated. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
No - this is not true at all. Hangouts dialer exclusively uses data.

The Google Voice application will throw texts and ca... (more)

churningisdead (Feb. 18, 2017 @ 7:11p) |

Yes, you definitely can have the ability to make international (perhaps not Canada)
calls (while in the US) turned off.

xoneinax (Feb. 20, 2017 @ 11:29a) |

You need to talk to people higher up. $250 might just be the limit of the person you talked to, not the max of what the ... (more)

scrouds (Feb. 22, 2017 @ 9:23p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
deleted

rated:
Umm, why not just hand him the bill? And what carrier do you use and what country did he call? My carrier's international rates are as low a 2 cents an hour (UK) so to talk $1000 worth a month he would have to be on the phone more than 24 hours a day!

rated:
Not an expert in any of this but speaking from success in dealing with large companies when I have a major issue.
I realize how frustrated you are and I am only trying help.

I recommend to make noise.
Look online and find all email addresses of Tmobile corporate and look for high up members if possible.
Put an email explaining the situation and that you are a pissed off customer and will be closing your account and telling your friend, calling the news stations to get them on the Hall of Shame etc. Then tell them you are not paying this.

Next call customer service, then call again and again.
Keep calling until you get someone who will help.
Ask to speak to the retention department.
Then go off on them, then ask to speak to a manager.
Just keep complaining don't give up.
They are required to try to make you happy on the phone.
So don't let them.
This sound ridiculous but it works, don't give up.
In the end it is not about the money, it is principal.
I take this type of action for everything.

Good luck, keep your head high and keep bitching, if the road you are taking don't work, take a different road.
You will find a road where someone will listen.

rated:
Hmm, wonder if he was somehow roaming? If so, then you are SOL.

"This service does not block outgoing international calls when roaming domestically. All charges are considered valid in this scenario."

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-7192

rated:
Tweet at John Legere.

rated:
atikovi said:   Umm, why not just hand him the bill? And what carrier do you use and what country did he call? My carrier's international rates are as low a 2 cents an hour (UK) so to talk $1000 worth a month he would have to be on the phone more than 24 hours a day!
I think you mean 2 cents a minute.  

rated:
tennis8363 is correct. There is no way to block international calls when you are within the US. I had tried to do that before and was told it wasn't option. The option you are referring to is only when you are roaming internationally.

rated:
Sigh... just another reason never to use post-paid service.

rated:
Tmobile has been a NIGHTMARE for me! I signed up for a couple of lines when they where running the free Iphone 7 promo last year. Somehow they didn't add the promo to my account and refused to change it when I called so I canceled and shipped the phones back. Despite the tracking number show they where delivered, it took 2.5 months, many hours and many phone calls to clear it up. They charged the full amount of the Iphines to my credit card and when I filed a charge back they sent it to collections. Two days after receiving a letter from collections I get an email they found the phones ... Never again. If they are the last cell phone carrier, I would rather go without.

rated:
OP good luck.

rated:
File a complaint via BBB and negotiate the bill down in arbitration. You'll usually get someone with the authority to do more than the average CSR.

rated:
Once again a reminder: If you use Google voice from a mobile phone, the call still goes through your carrier and is billed / handled through your carrier, unless you are using a separate app like hangouts.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Once again a reminder: If you use Google voice from a mobile phone, the call still goes through your carrier and is billed / handled through your carrier, unless you are using a separate app like hangouts.
  From https://support.google.com/voice/answer/141923

Confirm that your paid call is using Google Voice
If your call isn't free, you’ll hear or see a message from Google Voice. The message will say how much the call costs or that the call is being routed through Google Voice.If you don't hear or see a message, your call isn't using Google Voice. Your cell phone company might charge you.Check that your call settings haven't been changed by a recent app update or another app that's conflicting with Google Voice.

rated:
montee4 said:   tennis8363 is correct. There is no way to block international calls when you are within the US. I had tried to do that before and was told it wasn't option. The option you are referring to is only when you are roaming internationally.
That is not how I read it. However, I don't have T-Mobile, just did a quick internet search.

I took it as you can block international calls, however, if you are "roaming" within the US, they will allow you to make the calls. In other words, you are connecting to the towers of someone else and T-Mobile has no way of stopping the call from happening.

rated:
it looks like your stuck paying this bill,at least they reduced it by $250 don't let it go to collections pay it and move on, in the mean time look for a dial around service like onesuite.com i like them and I've been using them for the last 10+ years.

rated:
Ask T-Mobile to add an international plan to your account retroactively. The plan costs $15 per month plus taxes and fees and covers calls to landlines and cell phones in a few dozen countries and landlines only in many more. Although it was for much smaller numbers, I had no problem making a similar change to one company's phone plan. If the first person refuses, ask to speak to a manager.

T-Mobile 

rated:
hmm' i have tmobile prepaid plan at $40 a month; unlimited voice,text and data; limited on overseas calls ; never have to worry about bill being over $40; seems like a great plan to me to avoid surprise costs;

rated:
cosmition said:   I have international call blocking enabled on all my cellphone lines &  is also confirmed by me calling CSR that international call block in place.
My dad uses google voice to call internationally. But somehow the calls went through tmobile even though I have international call blocking enabled. 
Now tmobile is charging me over $1000 for overseas calls. 
I contacted the csr but they are willing to offer only a max of $250 credit. 
Is there is any legal course of action as it is tmobile's fault that the calls went through even after placing international call blocking. 
Any helpful advice is much appreciated. 

and how did this magic trick happen? 

PYBD!

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
atikovi said:   Umm, why not just hand him the bill? And what carrier do you use and what country did he call? My carrier's international rates are as low a 2 cents an hour (UK) so to talk $1000 worth a month he would have to be on the phone more than 24 hours a day!

Yes, my bad, 2 cents a minute. Now there are 43,200 minutes in a 30 day month. At 2 cents a minute, that's $864 if dad is on the phone 24/7 for a month. So if OP says the bill is $1,000, my troll senses are on alert.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Once again a reminder: If you use Google voice from a mobile phone, the call still goes through your carrier and is billed / handled through your carrier, unless you are using a separate app like hangouts.

Even if you use the hangouts dialer, it will still route through your carrier (weird). The only true way to guarantee that the call is going through GV or Hangouts is to remove the sim card and then make the call (assuming you're connected to wifi).

rated:
atikovi said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

Yes, my bad, 2 cents a minute. Now there are 43,200 minutes in a 30 day month. At 2 cents a minute, that's $864 if dad is on the phone 24/7 for a month. So if OP says the bill is $1,000, my troll senses are on alert.

If you don't have an international plan (OP obviously didn't) then they can really charge you a lot for overseas calls depending on the nation.

for example with Tmobile and no international plan : UK, China and India are $1.99/ min.    Thats just 8.3 hours to hit $1000.
OTOH Mexico & Canada is generally free. 

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   

Even if you use the hangouts dialer, it will still route through your carrier (weird). The only true way to guarantee that the call is going through GV or Hangouts is to remove the sim card and then make the call (assuming you're connected to wifi).

I had the same issue. There is a setting when you login to your Google Voice (using a browser, not the app) that forwards all incoming/outgoing calls to the cell phone. That box needs to be unchecked in order to completely separate Google Voice from the host cell phone number.

Picture showing setting 

UPDATE: You will need to have the Google Hangouts Dialer app installed on the phone to then send/receive calls.

rated:
I had this happen exactly ONE time, courtesy of my SO. We've been on prepaid ever since.

rated:
Unless you go to the press, or get the attention of executive resolution team, you will have to pay the bill.
ExecutiveResponse@T-Mobile.com

Have you considered buying a Nexus 5x, and moving to Google Fi?
It uses T-Mobile/Sprint/US Cellular's network, but has google voice rates for international calling built in.

rated:
ryeny3 said:   Ask T-Mobile to add an international plan to your account retroactively. The plan costs $15 per month plus taxes and fees and covers calls to landlines and cell phone in a few dozen countries and landlines only in many more. Although it was for much smaller numbers, I had no problem making a similar change to one company's phone plan. If the first person refuses, ask to speak to a manager.

T-Mobile

THIS!

rated:
jerosen said:   
atikovi said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

If you don't have an international plan (OP obviously didn't) then they can really charge you a lot for overseas calls depending on the nation.

for example with Tmobile and no international plan : UK, China and India are $1.99/ min.    Thats just 8.3 hours to hit $1000.
OTOH Mexico & Canada is generally free. 

My cell doesn't require no stinkin international plan. It has the same rates for everybody starting at 2 cents a minute for UK, Sweden, Thailand, Singapore, India, etc. https://ting.com/international_calling

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   

No - this is not true at all. Hangouts dialer exclusively uses data.

The Google Voice application will throw texts and calls thru your phone plan (e.g - if you have your GV # setup to forward to your cell number AND you use the application to dial out). Chances are, his Dad may have had the GV app configured incorrectly and never actually called out using Google Voice but his T-Mobile number.

I am on T-Mobile's $30/month plan with 100 minutes and use Google Hangouts exclusively. I could have it forward to my TMobile number (no idea what it even is) if I wanted.

rated:
montee4 said:   There is no way to block international calls when you are within the US. I had tried to do that before and was told it wasn't option.Yes, you definitely can have the ability to make international (perhaps not Canada)
calls (while in the US) turned off.

rated:
You need to talk to people higher up. $250 might just be the limit of the person you talked to, not the max of what the company can do to fix this.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017