Camera needed to catch vandals. Pls help!

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Vandals repeatedly keying car I am using while owner travels. Police expect me to get picture/video of vandals. Car parking is not in view of my apartment and cannot install cameras on property. So I think I need night vision, motion activated tiny camera or cameras, somehow installed inside the car. Have mild TBI and no luck sorting out on /Amazon-and really no budget. Suggestions on how to solve, please. Am female senior. Thank you, K

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Now with less kids FootLocker!

Sorry about that.  A hiccup on our backend caused some issues.  I removed all of the Foot ... (more)

MVP9596 (Feb. 15, 2017 @ 11:19a) |

not sure what happened just above, but the post that the mods edited doesn't add anything or even make sense the way it ... (more)

oppidum (Feb. 16, 2017 @ 11:26p) |

watch Cops. you'll see that certain types of people are targeted, since they're likely to be committing felonies, ones a... (more)

yizazar (Feb. 17, 2017 @ 3:37a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A basic old-school video camera in the dash (or the dash of a car parked close to yours) will record until the tape runs out.  Short of sitting in a car across the street and taking pictures manually, that is as good of an option as you are going to get, unless you have tech skills or money.

I key my own car.

I'm sorry this happened to you. If this happens in your apartment parking lot. I would 1st talk to your apartment about installing security cam.

Dashcam Talk is my go to place for dash cam info. Here's a discussion on it:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/parking-mode.2887/

GearBest carry the mini-0903 which is one of the cheapest with parking-mode at about $75

If you have a local car-stereo place like Car-Toy, they can help you as well.

qcumber98 said:   I key my own car.
  In Soviet Russia, car keys you.

Crazytree said:   
qcumber98 said:   I key my own car.
  In Soviet Russia, car keys you.

is that why russians love having dashcams?

If you can get wifi at that location you coukd try using the Alfred camera app on an old phone and maybe hook it up to some kind of usb battery pack for more life.

several dash cams with a power bank can record for a while and you can cycle it every 12 hours, keep in mind though they need to be in normal mode, not parking mode as keying would not set them off. One issue however is you will see suspects, but you won't get a shot of them actually keying the car unless its the hood.

Try instead, a spy website that offers a covert spy cam you can hide outside. If you set it up at night, you should be able to hide anything in the foliage without worrying about the grounds keepers.

Trail cam?

jeffmd said:   One issue however is you will see suspects, but you won't get a shot of them actually keying the car unless its the hood.
  Nissan has an around-view monitor on some vehicles.  I wonder if those cameras could be utilized somehow when the vehicle is parked.

cajundavid said:   Trail cam?

Was thinking that could be ideal. 

OP:  Know anyone that hunts?  If so, check with them to see if they happen to use or know where you could borrow (or get cheap) a trail camera (used mostly to find out where game is by hunters.)  They are designed to be used outdoors, can be easily hidden in bushes, make pics at night, and make very good night/available light pics.

ETA:  Trail cams are triggered by movement, so they should make a series of pics while vandal is at work.

eBay has some dashboard camera video recorders (Advanced Search criteria: buy it now, free shipping, shipped from US warehouse) for as low as $10.86. They have night vision and automatic recording when motion is detected.

The problem with  trail-cam is they need to be mounted outside the car and unless it's high up someone can just take it. It's because PIR (passive infrared) sensor can't see through glasses.

Ex girlfriend???

put on black clothes, paint face black, sleep in back seat til they come again

To record from inside your car the best option is one or more dashcams with Parking Mode.  Parking Mode is implemented in a couple of ways:

Motion Detection - When the camera detects motion it starts recording.  You need one with prebuffering, otherwise you'll miss the first couple of seconds after motion is detected.  

Timelapse - The camera takes a still picture at a regular interval, like one per second.  

On most cars the cigarette lighter socket shuts off with the ignition so your camera will need to be wired in or you will need an external power source.  It will also need a low voltage cut off, either built in or in a hardwire kit to shut the camera down if the battery's voltage gets low.

In addition to dashcamtalk.com, mentioned previously, techmoan.com is a great place to get info and education about dashcams.

Not sure how having a photo/video will help police arrest a vandal?  Prosecute yes, apprehend, no, unless you recognize one of them and know where they live.

robby69 said:   Not sure how having a photo/video will help police arrest a vandal?  Prosecute yes, apprehend, no, unless you recognize one of them and know where they live.
If others in the neighborhood are also having vandalism incidents they may also be video-recording this bad guy(s). Repeated incidents, several victims...our local TV stations like to put those videos on the air during the eveningnews. When that happens, it's likely that someone will recognize the perps.

Not guaranteed, but it seems better than having no information at all.

People talk about this sort of thing on Nextdoor.com all the time. Find out if any of your neighbors have already recorded this type of activity so you can share it w/ the cops.

Maybe a video surveillance sticker may stop them from doing it? Do you have choices on where to park?  If it was me, my first choice would be to avoid further keying, rather than catching on tape them go town on your car again.

Keyboard said:   Maybe a video surveillance sticker may stop them from doing it? Do you have choices on where to park?  If it was me, my first choice would be to avoid further keying, rather than catching on tape them go town on your car again.

a video surveillance sticker? they just have to disguise themselves. more than likely, they're already doing that (and parking some distance away, possibly with license plates obscured).  if that's the case, even 10,000 cameras would prove fruitless

apartment owner needs to hire at least two nightwatchmen.  but good luck with that, since it's expensive.

talk to your police dept. about assigning a couple undercover reserves (aka volunteer cops) to your location at night for a couple weeks.  that might turn up something.  but, then again, don't expect your request to do anything other than spark uproarious laughter from law enforcement.

you might need to move.

"police expect me to get picture/video of vandals"

They want you to do their job for them?  That answer would seriously piss me off.

once a car has been "repeatedly keyed", each additional keying has less of an marginal impact on your opinion of the vehicle.

defjukie said:   "police expect me to get picture/video of vandals"

They want you to do their job for them?  That answer would seriously piss me off.

What do you expect them to do? Post an officer for surveillance? Send a detective to take fingerprints? Resources people, resources.   

kachina said:   Vandals repeatedly keying car I am using while owner travels. 
Did you (or the vehicle owner) do something to piss someone off?  Do you think it is someone you know?  Is this just happening to this vehicle, or are other vehicles being vandalized?  How many times is "repeatedly?"  

I think I'd be complaining to the apartment management to take some steps to increase security rather than trying to do something on my own.  And I'd start looking for a better place to park.    

I doubt the police will do much. It's usually juveniles and even if they throw the book at them, the punishment isn't much.

Much thanks to fat wallet community!

Will make list of suggestions and do my best to sort them out.

I was at a dead end. Property management has told me to install cameras inside vehicle.

Thanks for helping me!!!

Drew510 said:   

What do you expect them to do? Post an officer for surveillance? Send a detective to take fingerprints? Resources people, resources.   

From my experience, most police departments have a lot of officers just patrolling, or engaging in other activities of questionable value.  Personally, I would rather a police officer investigate or try to prevent a real crime (e.g. vandalism), than sit on the side of a road in hopes of catching someone going 10mph over the speed limit, for example.

defjukie said:   
Drew510 said:   

From my experience, most police departments have a lot of officers just patrolling, or engaging in other activities of questionable value.  Personally, I would rather a police officer investigate or try to prevent a real crime (e.g. vandalism), than sit on the side of a road in hopes of catching someone going 10mph over the speed limit, for example.

"just patrolling" is a deterrent.  that motivates some criminals to do their crimes elsewhere.  it also allows for quick responses to crimes in progress, and for quick responses to calls for backup, so that some cop doesn't get his face blown off when he's outnumbered 4:1.

"other activities of questionable value"  like what?  how do you know they're of questionable value?  does your chief/sheriff/constable send you cost-benefit reports every quarter?

"sitting on side of road hoping to catch someone going 10mph over"  is more sophisticated than you might believe.   "10mph over" is often just a reason for a traffic stop (people have civil rights and what not.  cops need a reason to detain).  a stop for an infraction allows a cop to see who you are, how you're behaving, what's in your vehicle, whether you've got a warrant, and what you're up to.  more than a few "10pmh over" stops turn into arrests for felonies.  if you don't believe me, see several episodes of Cops.  watch a common escalation from "I'm gonna stop this vehicle in front of me because its license-plate light isn't working" to "you're under arrest for possession of illegal drugs and stolen firearms."

What I tried to post, once I saw your reply and the fact that you registered just to post it, was:

Found the police chief!
yizazar said:   
defjukie said:   
Drew510 said:   
defjukie said:    "police expect me to get picture/video of vandals"

What do you expect them to do? Post an officer for surveillance? Send a detective to take fingerprints? Resources people, resources.
  From my experience, most police departments have a lot of officers just patrolling, or engaging in other activities of questionable value.Personally, I would rather a police officer investigate or try to prevent a real crime (vandalism), than sit on the side of a road in hopes of catching someone going 10mph over the speed limit,for example.

"just patrolling"

yizazar said:
"sitting on side of road hoping to catch someone going 10mph over" is more sophisticated than you might believe. "10mph over" is often just a reason for a traffic stop (people have civil rights and what not. cops need a reason to detain). a stop for an infraction allows a cop to see who you are, how you're behaving, what's in your vehicle, whether you've got a warrant, and what you're up to. more than a few "10pmh over" stops turn into arrests for felonies. if you don't believe me, see several episodes of Cops. watch a common escalation from "I'm gonna stop this vehicle in front of me because its license-plate light isn't working" to "you're under arrest for possession of illegal drugs and stolen firearms."

So in other words, you're arguing that cops' time is better spent randomly searching for potential crimes, rather than investigating/preventing a reported crime. Sorry, but I disagree.

defjukie said:   

What I tried to post, once I saw your reply and the fact that you registered just to post it, was:

Found the police chief!
yizazar said:   
defjukie said:   
Drew510 said:   
defjukie said:    "police expect me to get picture/video of vandals"

What do you expect them to do? Post an officer for surveillance? Send a detective to take fingerprints? Resources people, resources.
  From my experience, most police departments have a lot of officers just patrolling, or engaging in other activities of questionable value.Personally, I would rather a police officer investigate or try to prevent a real crime (vandalism), than sit on the side of a road in hopes of catching someone going 10mph over the speed limit,for example.

"just patrolling"

Now with less kids FootLocker!

Sorry about that.  A hiccup on our backend caused some issues.  I removed all of the Foot Locker garbage, but I think I might have snipped some of the quotes.

not sure what happened just above, but the post that the mods edited doesn't add anything or even make sense the way it currently looks.
====

OP - Kachina - what has happened in the last few days, have you made any progress?

defjukie said:   yizazar said:
"sitting on side of road hoping to catch someone going 10mph over" is more sophisticated than you might believe. "10mph over" is often just a reason for a traffic stop (people have civil rights and what not. cops need a reason to detain). a stop for an infraction allows a cop to see who you are, how you're behaving, what's in your vehicle, whether you've got a warrant, and what you're up to. more than a few "10pmh over" stops turn into arrests for felonies. if you don't believe me, see several episodes of Cops. watch a common escalation from "I'm gonna stop this vehicle in front of me because its license-plate light isn't working" to "you're under arrest for possession of illegal drugs and stolen firearms."

So in other words, you're arguing that cops' time is better spent randomly searching for potential crimes, rather than investigating/preventing a reported crime. Sorry, but I disagree.

watch Cops. you'll see that certain types of people are targeted, since they're likely to be committing felonies, ones a patrol officer can address in real time.  (compare that to spending countless hours figuring out who keyed Bertha's '78 Granada last night, with neither surveillance footage nor eyewitnesses to help you narrow your search from potentially tens of thousands of people).

in my state, vandalism under $5k is a misdemeanor.  lol @ wanting to waste time hunting down teenagers for paint damage (that Bertha could get fixed for $99 @ Maaco), when cops could be stopping dangerous felons and putting them in jail before they commit additional SERIOUS crimes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017