• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I got in a car accident in august of last year where the other person was 100% at fault. I just now finished the claim where the other persons auto insurance covered all my medical expenses. Will my health insurance send me a subrogation letter now? I have not received any letters or requests nor been notified of any liens and the other partys auto insurance has not been notified either. Obviously i'll set aside how much my health insurance covered but when do I know i'm safe from such action? I mean its been about 5 months since the accident. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
stephenparakletos said:   So I got in a car accident in august of last year where the other person was 100% at fault. I just now finished the claim where the other persons auto insurance covered all my medical expenses. Will my health insurance send me a subrogation letter now? I have not received any letters or requests nor been notified of any liens and the other partys auto insurance has not been notified either. Obviously i'll set aside how much my health insurance covered but when do I know i'm safe from such action? I mean its been about 5 months since the accident. 
  Did you, or anyone on your behalf (e.g., doctor's office, hospital) file a claim with your medical insurance?
Do you have any outstanding medical bills or anticipate any in future, resulting from this accident?
Did your medical insurance pay any money for medical services?
Did you pay anything out of your pocket for medical services?

rated:
nobody filed a claim with my medical insurance.
I have no future bills resulting from this accident however I still need to pay the co-pay for the visit which I plan to do once I receive the settlement.
my medical insurance did cover the majority of the hospital bill.
I payed nothing out of pocket accept I will have to pay the co-pay for the hospital visit.

rated:
unless you mean a claim for the hospital bill with my health insurance if that is the case then yes they did that was processed and covered, sorry miss read the first question

rated:
Then most likely you will get a bill from your insurance company once they get wind that you got cash.

rated:
do they always wait until settlements are finished without any prior notice?

rated:
stephenparakletos said:   do they always wait until settlements are finished without any prior notice?
  Always?  No
Sometimes?  Yes
Wait a year, don't spend the windfall.
Or just call them and they will send you the bill now.

rated:
You should make a claim for your hospital co-pay with the at fault person's car insurance.

If you got paid directly from the car insurance company for your hospital bills (which your medical insurance already paid to the hospital), then you can expect to get a letter from the medical insurance to be reimbursed back.

rated:
My insurance company can take up to 18 months to send the subrogation letters out.  When I was in a similar situation, rather than drag the process out, I called them and informed them which visits I needed to pay back.  I think it was a lot easier to take care of while our memory was fresh, and could drive the process a bit on which visits to pay for (there were other unrelated visits mixed in).

rated:
(Removed... re-read and saw OP had already answered my question)

rated:
You will be contacted to reimburse the medical insurance provider to pay them back .You will want to negotiate down the bills to save you some money.Your idea to inform

your insurance of your doctor visits of the dates you got medical attention from the accident.You will get another question regarding accident related bills,there is

always a doctors office that submits a bill after two years.I hope you are receiving enough to cover your medical bills.Many times the at fault driver is under insured .

or uninsured.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017