• filter:

Which CC has the best warranty extension?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I will be taking a  calculated risk w/ Samsung washer again (thanks to their recall rebate terms). They have a full 1 yr manu. warranty . Which CC has the best warranty extension for this purchase (paperwork, payout ease etc)? 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You'll find your answer in this thread. The user of interest is "EradicateSpam":
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance... (more)

sfchris (Jul. 25, 2017 @ 11:28p) |

I'm another enthusiastic vote for AMEX. Over the years my family has submitted a few claims for cell phones that have m... (more)

arctann (Jul. 26, 2017 @ 1:59a) |

Citi may have the best terms of extending a warranty 2 years, but I know Citi uses a third party insurance company for c... (more)

quickstrike (Jul. 26, 2017 @ 3:42p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
citi adds 2 years to any manufacturer's warranty on eligible items.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Extended-Warranty

rated:
Tresh said:   citi adds 2 years to any manufacturer's warranty on eligible items.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Extended-Warranty

Thx! Are they claim friendly?

rated:
Costco Citi is 2+2, but only if you buy at Costco

rated:
JavaCoder said:   Costco Citi is 2+2, but only if you buy at Costco
  Where do terms say only things bought at Costco?

rated:
How does Discover compare to Amex for claims processing?

rated:
bobley said:   

Java is saying costco will warrant 2 years (if mfr is less than 2 years).  And citi adds to any extended warranty so therefore it's 4.  Citi adds to extended warranty from elsewhere or to longer than 2yr mfr warranty too.
Citi limits to 7yr total (with the up to 2 year extension).

rated:
Amex is the best, and their claim process is pretty good.

rated:
Praveen22 said:   Amex is the best, and their claim process is pretty good.

Citi blows away everyone.

Most credit cards double manufacturer warranty, up to a year, including Amex.

6 month warranty, they make it a year.
1 year warranty they make it 2 years.

Many do this up to a 3 year warranty, Amex does it to 5 years.

5 year warranty, Amex makes it 6, many others add nothing.  

Amex only does this on a manufacturer's warranty. 

Citi adds 2 years to everything.  THIS IS THE BEST OF ANY CARD.

6 month warranty, Citi adds 2 years, making it 2.5 years.

Citi also includes extended warranties, like Costco.  No one else does that.

Buy a TV with a 90 day warranty at most stores.  Amex and others make it a 6 month warranty.  Costco makes it 2 years, plus the Costco Citi card makes it 2 more years.  6 months vs 4 years.

Plus Citi Price Rewind.

rated:
how much is warranty worth to you? ie, how much lower price would you need to forgo 2 years of warranty?

rated:
rufflesinc said:   how much is warranty worth to you? ie, how much lower price would you need to forgo 2 years of warranty?

Don't know who this is directed at, but I'll answer.

It is irrelevant.

Find the item at Costco for $600.  On the same day, find the item on Amazon for $500.  

Buy the Costco, let's say it's a TV, and use the Costco Citi Card.  Pay $600 (less 2% cashback).

Make a screen print of the Amazon price and save it on your computer.  If you want, setup a CamelCamelCamel alert for the TV as well as setting up alerts from Fatwallet for the item you bought.  

Register the purchase on Citi Price Rewind at the price of $600.  

After 60 days, see what the best price that Citi Price Rewind came up with.  If it isn't less than $500, fill out the PDF form with your receipt and Amazon screen print (unless you found a better price than $500) and fax them to Citi Price Rewind (or email or mail), and they refund $100 to your credit card.

You end up paying $500 minus $12 cashback (no, the $100 credit to your card does not reverse the cashback) plus sales tax on $600 for the TV, and receiving a 4 year warranty.  

Winner!

Note - Citi Price Rewind could use substantial improvement, but I got money back on a TV ($40), a portable A/C unit ($52.69), Milwaukee hand tools ($130), cable modem ($10), two thermostats ($25.68), two tablets ($2.30), and soon a Dirt Devil vacuum ($12.47, Amazon 1 day lightning deal, I paid 75.5% more from Amazon a month prior which was a good price). That's $273.14 in 6 months.

Full disclosure - only some of these items were from Costco, so I got the normal warranty plus 2 years.  

rated:
Thanks for the reminder EradicateSpam. I forgot about price protection on credit cards. I don't have Costco's Citi, but I know my other cards have something similar.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   
rufflesinc said:   how much is warranty worth to you? ie, how much lower price would you need to forgo 2 years of warranty?

It is irrelevant.

It's still relevant but usually a pretty small amount.
If I put it on one of my citi cards, I get 1% rebate. (I don't have a costco citi, and no, it's not worth forgoing an $800+ bonus to open a card that gets me 1% more on purchases I make for citi warranty)
If I put it on chase, I get a minimum of 1UR/$, worth a minimum of 1.5cents. So, I pay a minimum of 0.5% more to put something on Citi.  Most larger items that fall into this category would warrant a 0.5% premium for 2yrs extra warranty (Just bought a laser printer from eBay /Adorama last night, and I paid with Citi).

If it was available through chase shopping portal, potentially another 5UR/$ foregone (likely just 1-2 though), or up to ~8% purchase price. If that's the case, I put it on Chase with the shorter warranty protection because it's not worth 8% to me.
If the purchase is available at on office store, I also get 5UR points/$, which makes it a no-brainer for me not to pay the extra to use Citi for the warranty.
If I had infinite time and wasn't tired of gift cards, most places are covered by that 5UR due to gift cards that could be purchased at the office supply store (or grocery store or pharmacy when Freedom has 5UR/$ for the quarter).

Although the citi has a better warranty extension, I thus end up rarely using it because it does cost me more. But I do use it sometimes, on purpose.

rated:
Based on my experience with CC extended warranties, I only use Amex to buy warranty-related items. I recently used Discover's claim service and then Fia's claim service (old Fidelity card). Both of these processes are based on giving this message: "Never use us again". They do everything to deny your claim, they don't process any documents unless you call them after sending the documents (but don't call them immediately, because they did not "look at it yet".) 3 months, maybe 10 calls later, I finally got a check for a $40 item. Definitely not worth for anything less than $100 IMO.

Another $40 item failed from Discover just a few days ago, and no, I will just eat the cost and won't bother again.

rated:
oko said:   Based on my experience with CC extended warranties, I only use Amex to buy warranty-related items. I recently used Discover's claim service and then Fia's claim service (old Fidelity card). Both of these processes are based on giving this message: "Never use us again". They do everything to deny your claim, they don't process any documents unless you call them after sending the documents (but don't call them immediately, because they did not "look at it yet".) 3 months, maybe 10 calls later, I finally got a check for a $40 item. Definitely not worth for anything less than $100 IMO.

Another $40 item failed from Discover just a few days ago, and no, I will just eat the cost and won't bother again.

Good to know Discover is a nuisance. Too bad as I read their price protection is the best. Amex is amazing for warranty and would likely not even ask questions on a $40 claim.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
bobley said:   

Java is saying costco will warrant 2 years (if mfr is less than 2 years).  And citi adds to any extended warranty so therefore it's 4.  Citi adds to extended warranty from elsewhere or to longer than 2yr mfr warranty too.
Citi limits to 7yr total (with the up to 2 year extension).

Costco 2+2 is only on items with a two year warranty to begin with. Costco gives a two year warranty on TVs for example.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   

It is irrelevant.

Find the item at Costco for $600.  On the same day, find the item on Amazon for $500.  

Buy the Costco, let's say it's a TV, and use the Costco Citi Card.  Pay $600 (less 2% cashback).

Make a screen print of the Amazon price and save it on your computer.  If you want, setup a CamelCamelCamel alert for the TV as well as setting up alerts from Fatwallet for the item you bought.  

Register the purchase on Citi Price Rewind at the price of $600.  

After 60 days, see what the best price that Citi Price Rewind came up with.  If it isn't less than $500, fill out the PDF form with your receipt and Amazon screen print (unless you found a better price than $500) and fax them to Citi Price Rewind (or email or mail), and they refund $100 to your credit card.

You end up paying $500 minus $12 cashback (no, the $100 credit to your card does not reverse the cashback) plus sales tax on $600 for the TV, and receiving a 4 year warranty.  

Winner!

Note - Citi Price Rewind could use substantial improvement, but I got money back on a TV ($40), a portable A/C unit ($52.69), Milwaukee hand tools ($130), cable modem ($10), two thermostats ($25.68), two tablets ($2.30), and soon a Dirt Devil vacuum ($12.47, Amazon 1 day lightning deal, I paid 75.5% more from Amazon a month prior which was a good price). That's $273.14 in 6 months.

Full disclosure - only some of these items were from Costco, so I got the normal warranty plus 2 years.  

No need to wait 60 days. You can claim and get paid and claim any difference again with Citi. 60 days to find the price. 180 to claim.

Citi has been shady with promo codes that many stores use for sales (40% of coats, enter code, for example). They are changing the terms to reflect this, but denying claims in the interim. Be careful with this. They are also shady about consumables claiming just about anything they can falls into this category. And their process is less than ideal if you need to track many claims.

rated:
so citi seems to have the best time period. How's their claim process?

I can vouch for their price rewind ease online

rated:
I didn't have a bad experience with Discover. I bought a cell phone for each of 2 kids for christmas one year. One I bought with Amex, one with discover. They both failed within a month of each other about 18 months after purchase. I had never used the extended warranty on credit cards, but contacted Amex with so little info, I did not expect an answer or at least a followup asking for more info. Nope, they just credited the price back to my card within days. So I decide to contact Discover. They had a form to fill out and requested some additional documentation, including copy of warranty, receipt, and copy of statement the sale appeared on. I sent them those items ( I forget if I copied and emailed them or faxed them). They also refunded the amount I paid for the phone.
Amex was much simpler. I basically told them little more than hey this doesn't work anymore.  I remember it was a short one sentence with virtually no info.   Discover involved a few minutes of work, to find receipt, etc and scanning the info and submitting.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   

Buy a TV with a 90 day warranty at most stores.  Amex and others make it a 6 month warranty.  Costco makes it 2 years, plus the Costco Citi card makes it 2 more years.  6 months vs 4 years.

Plus Citi Price Rewind.

Citi's terms are the undisputed winner.  But there are two other important components to extended warranty coverage - (1) the likelihood they pay out a valid claim and (2) the ease of the claim process. Admittedly, (2) has subjective value.  But if one company requires multiple calls of 30+ minute duration, getting a repair estimate from a local shop, etc., and the other allows me to file a claim online and pays out with little followup, to me there's a value differential of their warranties.  To be clear, in my experience the former is Chase and the latter is Amex.  I can't comment on Citi's performance on warranties, but my expectations are tempered in that I've never heard of a company with more positive warranty claim experiences than Amex.

rated:
dukerau said:   
EradicateSpam said:   

Plus Citi Price Rewind.

Citi's terms are the undisputed winner.  But there are two other important components to extended warranty coverage - (1) the likelihood they pay out a valid claim and (2) the ease of the claim process. Admittedly, (2) has subjective value.  But if one company requires multiple calls of 30+ minute duration, getting a repair estimate from a local shop, etc., and the other allows me to file a claim online and pays out with little followup, to me there's a value differential of their warranties.  To be clear, in my experience the former is Chase and the latter is Amex.  I can't comment on Citi's performance on warranties, but my expectations are tempered in that I've never heard of a company with more positive warranty claim experiences than Amex.

Agree with AMEX experience.
we have 3 Citi cards, but no experience with warranty claims using those cards.

rated:
I had a $150 router go bad after 3 years. Filed a claim on my AMEX and was credited the full amount within 3 days. I didn't even have to provide a receipt or send it to them. I was very impressed! They add 1 year to the warranty up to 5 years. Other CC's may offer a longer warranty but you need to make sure they will honor it.

rated:
Whole bunch of innuendo that Citi's responsiveness to a warranty claim may not equal Amex's, but not a single instance of where that has been the case.

rated:
I bought my last big ticket item with my Citi card, as a 'just in case' move.

I do have a question related to price protection, though. Does any card provide price protection on E-bay, for example? I'm looking at a $700 item that doesn't change much on retail sites, but varies quite a bit on eBay.

rated:
Logan71 said:   I bought my last big ticket item with my Citi card, as a 'just in case' move.

I do have a question related to price protection, though. Does any card provide price protection on E-bay, for example? I'm looking at a $700 item that doesn't change much on retail sites, but varies quite a bit on eBay

No.  Think about it.  Your buddy Fred puts an item up for sale on eBay at 1/2 the going price, and you send that in as proof.

rated:
The catch on the Citi + Costco is what happens if they switch cards again? I bought items at Costco with my Costco Amex that should be under the Amex warranty period but since they canceled that card, I no longer have coverage.

rated:
wadewood said:   The catch on the Citi + Costco is what happens if they switch cards again? I bought items at Costco with my Costco Amex that should be under the Amex warranty period but since they canceled that card, I no longer have coverage.
  If it's still covered under the previous Amex warranty, Citi has stated they will cover it.

rated:
nomdeplume said:   I didn't have a bad experience with Discover. I bought a cell phone for each of 2 kids for christmas one year. One I bought with Amex, one with discover. They both failed within a month of each other about 18 months after purchase. I had never used the extended warranty on credit cards, but contacted Amex with so little info, I did not expect an answer or at least a followup asking for more info. Nope, they just credited the price back to my card within days. So I decide to contact Discover. They had a form to fill out and requested some additional documentation, including copy of warranty, receipt, and copy of statement the sale appeared on. I sent them those items ( I forget if I copied and emailed them or faxed them). They also refunded the amount I paid for the phone.
Amex was much simpler. I basically told them little more than hey this doesn't work anymore.  I remember it was a short one sentence with virtually no info.   Discover involved a few minutes of work, to find receipt, etc and scanning the info and submitting.

how's discover's price protection?

rated:
agentshiv said:   
wadewood said:   The catch on the Citi + Costco is what happens if they switch cards again? I bought items at Costco with my Costco Amex that should be under the Amex warranty period but since they canceled that card, I no longer have coverage.
  If it's still covered under the previous Amex warranty, Citi has stated they will cover it.

While the switch was in progress, I asked a Citi rep about it and was told I would have to go back to Amex.  Amex told me to go to Citi.  I have not needed to use the warranty so moot point for me as of now.

rated:
Are there any no annual fee Citi cards that offer the 24 month extended warranty that also have no forex fees?
thanks

rated:
I have only used Discover and it's been a nightmare every time. For a stupid dead $40 sound bar it took way longer than it was worth to get it reimbursed.

Now I only use my Amex card on big ticket items even though I have the Costco card, I haven't heard anything good nor bad about the claims process. I just don't want tod real with the guilty until proven innocent feeling I get with discover.

rated:
beethovengirl said:   Are there any no annual fee Citi cards that offer the 24 month extended warranty that also have no forex fees?
thanks

I cannot think of any Citi card that does not have their standard 3% foreign transaction fees. Unless you go with their Citi AAdvantage I think but that has a $95 annual fee.

So don't buy items on which you want the 2 years extra warranty overseas.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   

Thanks for the info! I looked into the fine print found two things:
• Not all the Citi cards have this benefit and some Citi Cards (E.G., the Costco Anywhere Visa Business) only add 1 year (source: https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html)
• There is a limit of 7 years of warranty coverage so if the purchased item includes a 7 year warranty Citi won't add anything, if the purchased item includes a 6 year warranty Citi will only add 1 year, etc. (can't link to source as it's behind a login. Can be found in your terms & services)

Thanks again for the info!

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   Whole bunch of innuendo that Citi's responsiveness to a warranty claim may not equal Amex's, but not a single instance of where that has been the case.
Agree. We should be more concerned with denial of valid claims.  Although I'm the first one to rely on Amex for big ticket items, then basically ignore everything else. Not worth the work to file for a $10 kitchen pot whose lid broke within a year.  

rated:
Bend3r said:   If I put it on Chase, I get a minimum of 1UR/$, worth a minimum of 1.5cents.

I'm sitting on 200k UR points and can transfer to many airline programs through Ink.
How do I convert those points into $3k?

rated:
taxmantoo said:   
Bend3r said:   If I put it on Chase, I get a minimum of 1UR/$, worth a minimum of 1.5cents.

I'm sitting on 200k UR points and can transfer to many airline programs through Ink.

400k points here.  I'd like to know too. I have a few planned uses though at some point.

rated:
Bend3r said:   
taxmantoo said:   
Bend3r said:   If I put it on Chase, I get a minimum of 1UR/$, worth a minimum of 1.5cents.

400k points here.  I'd like to know too. I have a few planned uses though at some point.

use them for travel booked thru Chase

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
Bend3r said:   
taxmantoo said:   

use them for travel booked thru Chase

Not enough vacation time yet.  I only get. ~3 1/2 weeks.  Singapore Airlines Suites look good if I end up taking a trip to one of those available destinations.

I always check travel site but have not yet had luck with hotels.  The hotels I've booked have either been 10-30% more pricey and/or more restrictive on cancellations when going through portal.

rated:
This thread took a confusing turn.

Skipping 29 Messages...
rated:
Citi may have the best terms of extending a warranty 2 years, but I know Citi uses a third party insurance company for claims. Just from that fact, Amex is still the easiest and most lenient. But I suspect making a claim will be comparable to making a claim through a typical visa/mastercard where you still have to get a repair invoice, repair receipt, etc.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017