• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
See last year's thread here: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1480084 

Hello FWF, last year's thread got a lot of positive feedback, so I though I would share my year 2 update. I will try to follow the same format as last year. The biggest update that I have is that I am finally living in Switzerland! I moved in August of 2016. In February 2016, I had my annual review at the UK company. My VP told me that I was doing a great job, and he wanted to put me on a management track, but I turned it down, as that opportunity would have required me to remain in the UK and I would rather move to Switzerland. I ended up turning in a 3-month notice in June, however the following week, my landlord gave me a 2-month notice to vacate my apartment, so I moved up my resignation date. My boss wanted to retain me, and he went out of his way to offer me a remote, professional services consultant job on a contract. I was working as a PreSales engineer at the time, so this would have been moving down in my career. PreSales wasn't an option due to not speaking the local language. In the end, the money just wasn't enough, so I left the UK with no prospects at all. For the first time since I started working at 15, I was without work. I was in for a shock. In the UK, recruiters were contacting me almost on a weekly basis with job opportunities. Nobody was interested in me in Switzerland. I applied anywhere and everywhere. In November, I basically took the first job that came along. Important to note, I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with getting approved for a work visa this time! 

Income
2014 salary (last year in the US) - $106.5k, no bonus
2015 salary - £58k + £7k car allowance + £12k bonus
2016 salary until August - £60.5k + £7k car allowance + £12k bonus (slight raise)
2016 salary from November - 115k CHF + 6k CHF bonus (not positive on the amount) + health insurance for both myself and my girlfriend (even though we're not married or registered partners!) worth 10.5k CHF/year 

All in all, my total income for 2016 was £47,935.54 + 20,044.60 CHF, which in dollars, using the IRS average conversion rate (keep in mind that the GBP nose-dived in 2016), that works out to $79,298.80. Not great, especially considering that I lived in two cities with extremely high cost of living. Such is life. On this amount, I paid £10965.65 ($14241.10) in taxes to the UK government, and 4,243.30 CHF ($4,139.80) to the Swiss government. I am required to file a tax return in Switzerland, and I may receive some sort of refund. It is also important to point out that Switzerland taxes residents on global wealth, I believe 0.5% of your worldwide assets. I will have more information on this in the next couple of weeks, after I file my taxes. At the current amounts, my effective tax rate in the UK was 22.88% and 21.17% in Switzerland, for an overall effective tax rate of 23.20% for 2016. Effective tax rate for 2015 was 28.6% and around 22.5% in 2014. 

Career
In the short term, from a career perspective, moving to Switzerland was a bad move. I didn't have any good career options, I just had to take the first job that came along. I am underpaid by probably 10-15k CHF per year. The company bought me the lowest spec laptop on the market, and the cheapest smartphone they could find. I am writing this from a bus. I had to leave my house this morning at 5:30 am to catch a bus, which took 4 hours to meet with a client. I left at 5:30 pm, and will arrive home after 10 pm. All because the company doesn't want to pay mileage for using my personal vehicle. The 4 hour bus trip + 30 minute tram ride each way could have been done in 2 hours with a car.
In the meantime, I am launching a consulting company with a business partner. My employment contract doesn't allow me to have a second job, so when they find out, they will almost certainly terminate my contract. To be honest, I don't really care. The job isn't great, and nobody else seems to be interested in hiring me for a full-time position. I probably need another year until my language skills don't hold me back. In the meantime, I need a paycheck, so I will try to keep both going for as long as I can. 

Housing
In the UK, I was paying £1150 (1493.50) per month for a 1 bedroom apartment. In Switzerland, I am sharing a studio apartment with my gf. Our rent is 1280CHF ($1248.78) + some utilities. I have been giving my gf 700 CHF ($682.93) per month. Overall, housing cost is way down for both of us. At first my gf was hesitant about sharing such a small space, but eventually she got used to it. I absolutely love our little apartment. It's in a great location, she is able to walk to work, and i work from home. Gigabit internet is also a huge plus. It is also important to point out, that my gf was nice enough to not charge me any rent during the 3 months I was unemployed! 

Overall housing spend for 2016 $11,576. This takes into consideration 3 months of no rent, plus my deposit refund from my UK apartment. 

Housing prices in Switzerland are extremely high if we were to buy. A 3 bedroom apartment outside of the city would start at a minimum of 1MM CHF. With a 20% downpayment, the bank will give you a 10-year loan at 1-1.5%. It is also important to note that during these 10 years, you only pay off about 10% of the principal. After the 10 years, you have to refinance at the current rates, and pay off probably another 10% of the principal. In Switzerland, you never really own your own house, even if you have been living in it most of your life. Depending on how our careers work out, if we end up staying in Switzerland, we will probably be in a position to buy something in about 2 years. 

Transportation
I sold my RHD drive when I left the UK. I had a really tough time selling the car, in fact I sold it less than 24 hours before I left the country! I paid £2,200 pounds for my car in June 2015, and in August 2016 I sold it for just £800. During the 15 months of ownership, I drove 8,498 miles with the car. This compares with 39,282 miles of driving during my last year in the US. Luckily, I didn't have to put any money into repairs, just a single oil change + inspection. The emissions system was on its way out when I sold the car, and that would have been a rather expensive fix on a Diesel
I did not own a car in Switzerland from August until January of this year. Even though we live in one of the best places on earth for public transportation, it's still not as efficient as a car is. Trains are also not cheap, especially with two people traveling. In January, I got the itch to buy a car. After owning crappy cars for the past 7 years, I decided to buy something nicer. After talking to my gf, we decided, that as a step forward in our relationship, we were going to buy the car together, since we would both be benefiting from it, almost equally. We started looking around, we wanted a 5-year old 3-series BMW, Audi A4 or C-class Mercedes, preferably all of them in station wagon form. We wanted to spend around $20k. We quickly realized that getting a car loan was not an option, at least not at a reasonable rate. We would have been paying 8% interest. I wanted to save my cash, since my job prospects for the rest of the year are questionable. Eventually we bought a 9-year old hot hatch for $5k cash. Even though it had 130k miles, it was 1-owner in mint condition, with separate summer and winter wheels. It should do over 150 mph on the Autobahn, I'll find out in the Spring  

Transportation costs for 2016
Gas - $1,396
Car Insurance - $1,401
Tolls - $247
Service/Parts/Registration - $229
Parking - $84
Public Transport - $1,149
Total: $4,506

Car insurance, registration and parking for the new car will be included in next year's post, as they were paid in 2017. 

And here is how it compares with 2015:
Gas - $1,253 (this includes rental cars when I was traveling)
Car Insurance - $1,708
Tolls - $40
Service/Parts/Registration - $619
Parking - $346 (there is no such thing as free parking in Europe!)
Public Transport - $1701
Total: $5,667 

Looks like overall transportation costs are a bit cheaper compared to 2015, although it definitely feels like we traveled more this year. 

Travel
In 2014, I spent $4,301 on travel. This included one European trip (Spain and Switzerland) and several trips in the US.
In 2015, I spent $7,683 on travel, although some of this was pre-paying 2016 vacations.
In 2016, I spent $5,903 on travel. Some of the highlights from this year:
- Scotland road trip. Drove up all the way to the northern-most point in Scotland. Awesome driving roads, a lot of them just a single lane in both directions! You have to use pullover areas when there is oncoming traffic
- 2 days in Venice, followed by a 12-night mediterranean cruise (costs were counted for 2015 spend, as that's when it was paid for), followed by 4 days in Rome
- multiple day trips in the UK, such as Durdle Door, White Cliffs of Dover, etc
- 2000 mile European road trip in a RHD car. This was when I was moving my belongings to Switzerland. I got to drive Stelvio pass, visited Como, Italy, Genova, Italy, Monaco, Saint-Paul-de-Vence, France, Marseille, France, Bordeaux, France, Saint-Georges-d’Oleron, France, Grandcamp-Maisy, France
- 2 weeks in Vietnam + 2 days in Dubai - this was a solo trip. When the offer from the company finally came in, I had 3 weeks before the job started, so I immediately booked this trip. One of the best trips that I have ever taken 

Food
In 2014 I spent $2,957 on groceries and $2,211 on eating out.
In 2015 I spent $2,659 on groceries and $1,928 on eating out.
In 2016 I spent $2,855 on groceries and $1,671 on eating out. 

Even though food prices are higher than in the US, we're able to keep our costs down by home cooking just about every meal, except when we are traveling. Now that we're living together, we roughly split food costs 50/50. 

Healthcare
I got screwed on this one pretty badly. In Switzerland, everyone must purchase private health insurance. I was in Switzerland in May one weekend, where Monday was a UK holiday, but a regular workday in Switzerland. I decided to apply for a temporary residence in Switzerland. Even though I went to the UK until August, Switzerland backdated my mandatory health insurance coverage to May 1st! I spent months trying to argue with the government that I didn't need this coverage until August, they would not budge at all. This was very discouraging because I had to pay this amount right when I was out of work.Overall healthcare spending in 2016 was $5,469. This includes payments on my dental correction from the UK plus health insurance premiums in Switzerland. 

Clothing/Shopping
In 2014, I spent $2,202. 
In 2015, I spent $3,569.
In 2016, I spent $6,074. When I was in Vietnam, I had 3 top quality suits custom tailored. Also bought a new Macbook and a DSLR camera, that's why the huge jump. 

Entertainment
In 2014, I spent $542.
In 2015, I spent $817.
In 2016, I spent $841. 

Was it all worth it?
The big question. To be honest, last year this time I wasn't feeling too good, mostly because of the long-distance relationship with my gf. However, I had a good job that I absolutely loved. My outlook for the future was uncertain last year.This year, I am in a great mood, and feel great about the future! The distance between my gf and I is finally solved and we're living together. The job isn't the best, however I am really excited about the business that my partner and I are launching. So was it all worth it, this year the answer is a definite yes!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Like I said, you don't know bad.

Sure people may prefer Bellevue but that alone surely isn't evidence that Seattle is... (more)

jerosen (Feb. 19, 2017 @ 5:08p) |

Thanks for your input and info.   Comparisons are always difficult, even 2 years or 20 years later

Talki (Feb. 19, 2017 @ 5:39p) |

Yeah, that just shows that Bellevue is better than Seattle but not that Seattle is worse than, say, Dallas.  Or Detroit.... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Feb. 20, 2017 @ 6:09a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
pagenation!

rated:
My eyes!

rated:
Sorry, formatting was lost during copy and paste. It's fixed now.

rated:
your employer sounds like a dbag

rated:
I remember your previous thread, thanks for the update.

rated:
Let me be the first to give you a green!
Great ongoing adventure story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading!
Keep it up.

rated:
Thanks for the update. I'm tied to my job for the next 5 years, so I read with envy your last three. If you mentioned your age, I missed it. How old are you?

rated:
cherry3m said:   Thanks for the update. I'm tied to my job for the next 5 years, so I read with envy your last three. If you mentioned your age, I missed it. How old are you?

I'm 30.

rated:
"Free" healthcare...ha,,its never free,,,,,Never,,

rated:
trumpotron said:   "Free" healthcare...ha,,its never free,,,,,Never,,
  Did you reply to the wrong thread?  OP didn't say anything about free healthcare.  Slow day on the trolling express?

rated:
OP, you forgot "Not having to live through 2016 elections, Priceless".

rated:
mrmonty said:   OP, you forgot "Not having to live through 2016 elections, Priceless".
  OP should try harder to get swiss citizenship. Just in case

rated:
Thanks OP, this is the kind of post that keeps me at FWF.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
mrmonty said:   OP, you forgot "Not having to live through 2016 elections, Priceless".
  OP should try harder to get swiss citizenship. Just in case

He could ask noted patriot (and recent Swiss citizen) Michele Bachmann for advice. 

rated:
"The job isn't the best, however I am really excited about the business that my partner and I are launching. So was it all worth it, this year the answer is a definite yes!"

Careful; working a job and running a business are 2 completely different animals

rated:
par88 said:   "The job isn't the best, however I am really excited about the business that my partner and I are launching. So was it all worth it, this year the answer is a definite yes!"

Careful; working a job and running a business are 2 completely different animals

If you can pull it off, running a business is infinitely better.

rated:
are you sure you want to stay in Swiss ? I heard that explosions and rapes has become a normal routine in Swiss. If you heard explosions or rapes happening next street, its just another day in paradise. I would try Singapore or Dubai or a few very strict cities in Philippine. Those places have very strict laws. If you are rich or kinda well paid, wouldn't you stay clear from Germany, Swiss, UK, etc. The girls there are depressed cuz they don't know when they will get raped next. 

rated:
Do you have any thoughts on why the original company (from the original thread) couldn't get you a visa while your current employer could? And what happens to your visa if the current employer and you part ways?

rated:
Nasheedb, 

Thank You for taking time to put all together. I had read your earlier post.

I have couple of questions:
(1) Which software/tool do you use to keep track of all numbers ?
(2) Since you have experienced day to day life in USA,UK and in Switzerland, what would you say about life in US from your prospective ?  Is it better overall in USA ? is there something which is better in Europe and not in US ?
(3) Was there any effect or impact from Brexit on your day to day life in UK ?
(4) Generally, people move from one country to another country in search of something... When you move from USA to UK, and then Switzerland, what encouraged to move ?  Have you find final destination yet ? if not, what is next move in mind ?

Thanks

rated:
was there any fun in all this, or just a calculation of your expenses? give us some fun stuff!

I've worked in 4 countries, at some point the costs of transportation or housing become just plain boring...

rated:
nasheedb, Thank you so much for sharing all this interesting and valuable info.
Unlike you, I grew up and went to college (engineering) in Switzerland,
then went abroad for a "few months" and got "stuck" in Canada then USA.
That was decades ago and I am twice your age.

So it is most interesting to read every line (and ponder what if's
if I would have stayed,versus getting a PhD and great career in America.

I like all the places I lived, studied and worked
and a great part in life is just experiencing more than one narrow portion of our world.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about it.
And good luck to all your future endeavors.

rated:
great find !

rated:
Holy crap do you keep good records!

There's no way I could pull all that info together.  Impressive!

rated:
Thanks, I enjoyed reading about your experience. Good luck next year!

rated:
psychoslowmatic said:   Do you have any thoughts on why the original company (from the original thread) couldn't get you a visa while your current employer could? And what happens to your visa if the current employer and you part ways?

In 2013 I applied for a work permit with a US passport. There was a quota on the number of work permits issued, so the Swiss government tried to filter out the low-skill applicants. Due to my lack of formal education, I fit into this category.
In 2014 I applied for a Romanian passport, which allowed me to work in the UK in 2015.
In April 2016 I started the naturalization process to obtain Hungarian citizenship. During WW2, my grandparents lived in a part of Romania that was briefly taken over by Hungary. I was able to provide documentation of this, which made me eligible for Hungarian citizenship. In April 2016, Switzerland had a quota on the number of work permits issued to Romanian citizens, so my work visa would have likely been rejected again. This quota did not apply to Hungarian citizens.
In May 2016, I applied for temporary living status in Switzerland with my Romanian passport. This was approved.
In June 2016, the quota for work permits issues to Romanian citizens was lifted.
In November 2016, my work visa using my Romanian passport was approved. The company was so sure that this wouldn't be a problem, that they allowed me to start my job with my temporary papers!
In January 2017 my naturalization process for Hungary was completed, and now I am eligible to apply for a Hungarian passport as well.

Looking back, I am kind of glad that I had so much trouble in 2013 with my work visa. The job I was applying for at the time was a purely technical job. The jobs I have held since then allowed me to acquire other skills as well, such as writing and negotiating professional services contracts, understanding sales and marketing processes, etc. I also made a lot of very useful professional connections. The original company that I was going to work for in Switzerland isn't doing all that great either.

rated:
PatelForIndia said:   Nasheedb, 

Thank You for taking time to put all together. I had read your earlier post.

I have couple of questions:
(1) Which software/tool do you use to keep track of all numbers ?
(2) Since you have experienced day to day life in USA,UK and in Switzerland, what would you say about life in US from your prospective ?  Is it better overall in USA ? is there something which is better in Europe and not in US ?
(3) Was there any effect or impact from Brexit on your day to day life in UK ?
(4) Generally, people move from one country to another country in search of something... When you move from USA to UK, and then Switzerland, what encouraged to move ?  Have you find final destination yet ? if not, what is next move in mind ?

Thanks

1. I use Google Sheets. When I lived in the US, I was using Mint, however Mint doesn't connect up to UK and Swiss bank accounts. Whenever I buy something, I always ask for the receipt and put it in my wallet. Every few days I empty out my receipts, and record the purchase on my Google sheet. I record the date, vendor, description, category and amount. I keep separate tabs for every month of the year. There is a summary tab which automatically tallies the purchases by category, giving me an overview of where my money went during the year.

2. My ranking: UK < US (Texas) < Switzerland. In Switzerland, everything is very neatly taken care of, and everything is clean. The rules always have to be followed. For example, if you throw our your trash wrong, your neighbors will complain and will report you. The infrastructure, such as roads are very well maintained. I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a pothole in Switzerland. The population in general tends to be cold and not very friendly. It is difficult to make friends with the locals. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

The two main reasons that are commonly cited by young American that life in Europe is better are healthcare and education. Neither one of these is really different for me compared to the US. I have always had private health insurance, even in the UK where everyone is covered by the National Health Service (NHS). I am overall healthy and don't go to the doctors. As far as education, a lot of universities in Europe are starting to charge tuition and/or fees, and the young people are starting to have to take out loans to be able to afford them. The situation is not nearly as bad as it is in the US though.

3. Yes, I got to make fun of my coworkers for a few days who thought the world was going to come to and end because of Brexit. 

Overall, talking to my UK friends, I don't think Brexit has affected them very much so far. All of my coworkers were obsessed with the housing pricing in the UK. In my opinion, it is extremely overvalued. In GBP, the prices are still increasing, although the value of the GBP dropped by 20%. When I first moved there, 1 GBP = 1.55 USD. Today it is just 1.25 USD. Consumer prices haven't really been impacted thus far from what my friends tell me.

4. My final destination was always Switzerland. I never really wanted to move to the UK, it was always just a stepping stone for me. At this point, if my business is successful and my gf is able to find a permanent job here, we will stay here for the long-term. We will buy a house (most likely an apartment) and have kids here. If plans don't work out, we will move back to the US. I have money stashed away in a CD which will be enough for a downpayment on a house in most places in the US.

rated:
a helluva lot of effort to be close to this GF....OP, i hope it works out! the good ones are worth whatever it takes.

rated:
vistaluck said:   are you sure you want to stay in Swiss ? I heard that explosions and rapes has become a normal routine in Swiss. If you heard explosions or rapes happening next street, its just another day in paradise. I would try Singapore or Dubai or a few very strict cities in Philippine. Those places have very strict laws. If you are rich or kinda well paid, wouldn't you stay clear from Germany, Swiss, UK, etc. The girls there are depressed cuz they don't know when they will get raped next. 

I can't facepalm hard enough to make the stupidity of this comment go away.

rated:
Thanks for posting this. Looks like you've been living a pretty non-stop life for the last couple of years. Hope it's all worth it. It sounds like your priority is your personal life, and the relationship(s) in it. Not a lot of people can really get to that state of mind--I know I can't. My family is all I care about, but because of that, my anxieties and stresses come from work, scheduling, etc. etc. However, because of those stresses, I want to be the best I can at my job so I work long hours or I work on weekends. It seems like you're "ok" with a mediocre job as long as you have your personal life in order. I wish I could say the same about myself.

Thanks again. This was really interesting to read.

rated:
nasheedb said:   

2. My ranking: UK < US (Texas) < Switzerland. In Switzerland, everything is very neatly taken care of, and everything is clean. The rules always have to be followed. For example, if you throw our your trash wrong, your neighbors will complain and will report you. The infrastructure, such as roads are very well maintained. I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a pothole in Switzerland. The population in general tends to be cold and not very friendly. It is difficult to make friends with the locals. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks, OP, great write up.  You have excellent organization and communication skills.

I like to add to this point as well.  It's very hard to make someone who lives their entire life in a single culture how much of their worldview and habit are influenced by their culture.  I always silently chuckle a bit when someone express desire for the USA to become one of Scandinavian social-welfare states. Note, they never say they want to be one of the P.I.G social-welfare states.  There are a lot one can learn by reading but something just have to experienced.

rated:
Thanks for the updates. I try to follow what you're up to, along with the guy who joined the circus. I've only been to Switzerland once. Zurich. Nothing wrong there. Clean, good public transportation and safe. Things were expensive, but since I don't live there, spending a bit more for stuff over a week wasn't going to kill me.

rated:
OP, unbelievable detail and write up. Very commendable record keeping.

I'm still in awe that you can spend only $12.40 per day on food (including eating out) and only $2.30 per day on entertainment. Truly impressive but not sure I could ever spend so little on food and/or drink!

rated:
vnuts21 said:   
vistaluck said:   are you sure you want to stay in Swiss ? I heard that explosions and rapes has become a normal routine in Swiss. If you heard explosions or rapes happening next street, its just another day in paradise. I would try Singapore or Dubai or a few very strict cities in Philippine. Those places have very strict laws. If you are rich or kinda well paid, wouldn't you stay clear from Germany, Swiss, UK, etc. The girls there are depressed cuz they don't know when they will get raped next. 
  I can't facepalm hard enough to make the stupidity of this comment go away.

WHY ? It is the truth

rated:
Really a fascinating read, whether you're a record-keeping Nazi that finds it 'easy' to keep track of these things or not, the time involved to distill all that into a narrative that makes sense to the rest of us was, I am sure, considerable so it's much appreciated.

As someone who has of late been toying with trying to pick up the digital nomad/remote work or expat life, this was especially useful as it puts in perspective places to put wayyy down on the I'd-like-to-live-there list, simply as far as origination costs are concerned.

That aside, I have to ask, why didn't you just DRIVE instead of taking the bus to your meeting? I know gas there isn't anywhere near the $2.15 a gallon I'm currently paying Stateside, and this is FW so if the answer is 'Hey I'm frugal' then perfectly understandable. But even if we discount the convenience and annoyance factor, or don't quantify it in terms of your hourly worth, just saving a few hours that you could probably apply to living life would make it worth it to me!

rated:
How much does a nice tailored suit in Vietnam cost?

rated:
FW10001 said:   How much does a nice tailored suit in Vietnam cost?
  3 goats and some shiny beads.

rated:
FW10001 said:   How much does a nice tailored suit in Vietnam cost?

I had 3 suits and 2 shirts tailored for $660. You can get acceptable quality for around $150 a suit. This was in Hoi An.

rated:
starcastic said:   That aside, I have to ask, why didn't you just DRIVE instead of taking the bus to your meeting? I know gas there isn't anywhere near the $2.15 a gallon I'm currently paying Stateside, and this is FW so if the answer is 'Hey I'm frugal' then perfectly understandable. But even if we discount the convenience and annoyance factor, or don't quantify it in terms of your hourly worth, just saving a few hours that you could probably apply to living life would make it worth it to me!

This was travel for my day job. In order to get reimbursed, I have to use public travel. I am paying between $6 and $6.50/gal for premium gas here in Switzerland. As a matter of principle, I am not going to spend my own money so my employer can benefit from it.

Skipping 27 Messages...
rated:
jerosen said:   
Talki said:   
jerosen said:   
By what objective measure would you claim Seattle is the worst?   

Here's a source putting Seattle schools at #25 in the nation.   https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/rankings/cities/best-public-schools/ 

Because all the people I know with kids who CARE about their kids would not even consider living within the City of Seattle limits.

And just ask the Chinese moving here and looking for good education where they buy their houses:
across the bridge in Bellevue, #3 in your link.

Seattle houses declined over the last year ... this link pretty much shows where the good schools are:
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-home-pr...

Like I said, you don't know bad.

Sure people may prefer Bellevue but that alone surely isn't evidence that Seattle is the worst in the nation or even close.

People who can afford private school often opt for them. That's true across the nation. That means people think private schools are usually better than public. Again that is true across the nation.

Yeah, that just shows that Bellevue is better than Seattle but not that Seattle is worse than, say, Dallas.  Or Detroit.  Big City schools always have the issues of scale to deal with, its hard to be "exemplary" on large scale.  Individual schools in the districts can, but that is very staff specific, and most people won't buy a house based on what the best school in a district is TODAY.  So small districts can commit to keeping their schools highly rated and have less staff movement.

As far as property taxes go, my state charges business just like they do individuals.  So indirectly the renters pay taxes through their landlords.  The landlords have a small advantage that they can use a different basis for the complex, usually what it cost them to build versus what the complex would be worth as condos.  It still reflects the valuation of your unit, and your rent is how the LL can afford to pay it.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017