Selling Airline Miles

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Have any of you had experience selling airline miles to companies like cashformymiles.com; sellmileage.com; flipmymiles.com? If so, what were your experiences?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I had worried about this as well but Vince's explanation seems reasonable.  When requesting addition of Authorized User,... (more)

fiustudentable (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 1:22a) |

I had worried about this as well but Vince's explanation seems reasonable.  When requesting addition of Authorized User,... (more)

fiustudentable (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 1:23a) |

I recommend Bruce (aka Bruce the flight-hunter). I've sold to him multiple times.

tedteddy (Mar. 13, 2017 @ 1:56p) |

OP has missed Vince at milesp2p.com, which to me is very honest business.  Great reviews from the replies as well. 
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There was one thread here about things going wrong. Does anyone remember the title of it? I think the airline found out and cancel the ticket per T&C.

I have had miles/awards zeroed out for posting them for sale. Best if you can find someone you know personally that can use them, the airlines monitor selling sites for that thing and have ways to figure it out.

Much harder and riskier than it was just 3-4 years ago. I don't do it any more.

Have had good luck with milesp2p.com and bestmilesbrokers.com

cny_saver said:   Have had good luck with milesp2p.com and bestmilesbrokers.com

I have never sold them miles but did sell them Amex points, chase points, City points and got paid every time. Must have cashed out more than $3,000 over the years between mine, my wife's and my son's account.

I've sold miles to Eli at milesbuyer.com a couple times (Delta and British Airways).

Both times he sent me my money via Paypal very quickly, and everything went smoothly as far as redemption of the miles.

DO NOT do it with American Airlines! They are incredibly strict and will cancel your account. There are rumors that they've considered going after people for more than the miles that are remaining in their account (in case your plan is to get rid of all your miles before they notice and never to fly them again).

Any warnings or good results for selling British Airways miles?
I find it extremely difficult if not impossible to use them.
Thanks!!!

alanmax said:   Any warnings or good results for selling British Airways miles?
Thanks!!!

No data on selling those miles, but what I like about BA miles is their distance-based redemption chart. I'd hold on to them. 

marginoferror said:   DO NOT do it with American Airlines! They are incredibly strict and will cancel your account. There are rumors that they've considered going after people for more than the miles that are remaining in their account (in case your plan is to get rid of all your miles before they notice and never to fly them again).
  Yeah, but I've personally sold over 250k AA miles and have seen no adverse action from AA. So not EVERY case falls into that category.

Thanks!!!

While I probably didn't get the best redemption value per mile for some BA miles, I was successful in using them to book a Thames Dinner Cruise for two in London last month.  They have a marketplace/experiences thing where you can spend the miles.  Again, not the best redemption (~27K miles for a $250 dinner cruise) but easy.

Thanks!!!

a few years back, the noob broker bought several tickets for different people using my miles, i received a letter from England to certify if I knew those travellers, i didn't answer, they closed my BA account

What kind of rates do they pay?

Thanks!!!

I'm quite sure you can use BA miles to book AA flights. You might have better luck with US domestic redemption's.

yizazar said:   
marginoferror said:   DO NOT do it with American Airlines! They are incredibly strict and will cancel your account. There are rumors that they've considered going after people for more than the miles that are remaining in their account (in case your plan is to get rid of all your miles before they notice and never to fly them again).
  I've done it multiple times with AA, dating back several years.  No adverse action.  

What's AA going to do? Sue me?  On what basis?  That I "sold" miles?  I didn't do that.  My account was hacked.

Then how do you explain the transfer from the broker into your PayPal account?

The airlines have entire departments dedicated to thwarting your efforts to sell/barter the miles. I would advise against it. These days I view miles as essentially worthless. The airlines use every strategy in the book to screw up your ability to benefit from miles you may not have a use for.

alamo11 said:   
yizazar said:   
  I've done it multiple times with AA, dating back several years.  No adverse action.  

What's AA going to do? Sue me?  On what basis?  That I "sold" miles?  I didn't do that.  My account was hacked.

"My paypal account was hacked as well."

wyle1 said:   
alamo11 said:   
yizazar said:   

It should never come up, how is AA going to have access to my PayPal and/or bank account information?   *I* sure as heck am not going to release it - and if the BROKER releases the info to AA he won't be in business long.

RedWolfe01 said:   
wyle1 said:   
alamo11 said:   
yizazar said:   

It should never come up, how is AA going to have access to my PayPal and/or bank account information?   *I* sure as heck am not going to release it - and if the BROKER releases the info to AA he won't be in business long.

How would they get access to it? They sue you and subpoena it. Who would give it to them? If you're not willing to, it would probably be the broker or Paypal.

As for the people who've successfully sold AA miles - good job, but that doesn't mean that it's not incredibly risky.

DealManMagician said:   The airlines have entire departments dedicated to thwarting your efforts to sell/barter the miles. I would advise against it. These days I view miles as essentially worthless. The airlines use every strategy in the book to screw up your ability to benefit from miles you may not have a use for.
Agree on the sell / barter, but disagree on the worthlessness.

Plenty of times I have been able to book last minute flights for much less than equivalent cost, especially on weekday flights on AA through BA, and the cash fee is less than $5. 18000 miles + $5 vs $800+ tickets.

Dupe

marginoferror said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
wyle1 said:   
alamo11 said:   
yizazar said:   

How would they get access to it? They sue you and subpoena it. Who would give it to them? If you're not willing to, it would probably be the broker or Paypal.

As for the people who've successfully sold AA miles - good job, but that doesn't mean that it's not incredibly risky.

LOLOLOL you think AA is going to SUE anyone?  For something with a "marginal" value?    There are MANY ways to transfer money, asking for one specific one is "fishing."

All they will do is close your account and request info to verify the transaction before they re-open.

Agreed. Unless the volume was some huge number.

When you sell your miles to these 3rd party buyers, do you actually give the buyer your Airline miles program credentials? With Amex / Chase miles, I can see how you can transfer without giving away any of your info, but how would one do that with airline miles?

My understanding is the people AA went after were people posting to sites like Craigslist or Flyertalk offering to sell/exchange miles. AA would reply to them asking about their miles and if that name or email address that responded was associated with an AA Advantage account, the mileage account was closed down. The other way AA or any other airline gets you is when they see tickets booked using miles for people with different last names, different cities, multiple itineraries booked for third parties with no itinerary for the account owner, and no apparent connection to the FF mile account. These are all red flags that will put your account under review. Doesn't take much for them to see an award ticket booked in a different name than the account owner. 

RedWolfe01 said:   
marginoferror said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
wyle1 said:   
alamo11 said:   
yizazar said:   

LOLOLOL you think AA is going to SUE anyone?  For something with a "marginal" value?    There are MANY ways to transfer money, asking for one specific one is "fishing."

All they will do is close your account and request info to verify the transaction before they re-open.

You will be surprised what AA does. I had sold my wife's miles to a noob broker a few years ago and AA send an email asking for details. They caught on and locked us out of the account. The account had about 40K miles. I responded with the truth after advice from FWF and they still didnt reopen her account. Next year US airways merged with AA. We had 75K miles in that account and my wife got a new AA Advantage number. I booked a flight for my wife and 1 day before the flight the ticket was cancelled and we were locked out of the account. I called AA and they flat out said my wife is not eligible for any AA accounts and we should have moved the points from US air to any other program before the merger.

A friend sold AA miles to a local broker, who then booked tickets for people. AA caught on, sent him an email. He told them whatever the broker told him to say, they locked his account anyway. Luckily he had sold all the miles so the broker who screwed up ate the loss.

saferisk said:   When you sell your miles to these 3rd party buyers, do you actually give the buyer your Airline miles program credentials? With Amex / Chase miles, I can see how you can transfer without giving away any of your info, but how would one do that with airline miles?
  you give your credentials.  after the broker finishes booking flights, change your PW (at least if you've got a significant number of miles remaining in the account).

if flagged, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS DENY selling miles.  an admission of guilt means you lose virtually 100% of the time.  but a denial gives you a fighting chance.  if you keep DENYING, AA might leave you alone and move on to find some idiot who confesses.  remember, people (including airline investigators) are lazy.  they want low-hanging fruit.  position yourself way up the tree.

I value the relationship with AA too much to risk selling miles, but I'd probably consider it if I were a FWFer selling a one-off batch of miles and didn't care about AA.

There's a long thread on FlyerTalk about people getting caught and the consequences.

RedWolfe01 said:   
marginoferror said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
wyle1 said:   
alamo11 said:   
yizazar said:   

I *know* AA has sued people. They have also sued the mileage brokers. It's possible that when they name individuals in a suit, they're really after the mileage brokers, but want the individual to at least be a party to the case for the discovery phase. I don't know their strategy, but it is a fact that they have sued people over this.

As for not being able to get information on transfers of money because there are many ways to transfer money, I can't see how that would be a valid objection. It's like responding to a request for credit card statements with "your honor, the charge could be on any one of my 10 credit cards (if it's even there), so clearly they're fishing and you should sustain the objection to provide the statements.

This would be a very simple process. They can find out who the broker is and ask in an interrogatory "how did you remit payment to customer x?" I don't understand why you think it would be that difficult. Plus, they know who the ultimate user of the ticket is. All AA has to do is go to them and get the information about who the broker is. There are so many ways to get this information.

Again, this is my warning. I couldn't care less whether anyone sells their miles or not. But it is at least worth noting that FT stands up to "bullies" in the travel industry; however, they do not allow AA miles/products to be traded on their platform.

yizazar said:   
TravelerMSY said:   I value the relationship with AA too much to risk selling miles, but I'd probably consider it if I were a FWFer selling a one-off batch of miles and didn't care about AA.

There's a long thread on FlyerTalk about people getting caught and the consequences.

just a heads up:  unless you've got access to insider info (from AA), you don't know how "risky" selling AA miles is.  the thread you referenced is selection bias.  a "things went south on me when I sold AA miles" thread is much more likely to appear than one like " I just played AA for another $1.5k. Now @ $5k YTD Hope to finish out 2016 @ a cool $10k LOL Suckers!."  (also, you have no idea how many AA trolls posted in that thread to make selling miles seem like VERY RISKY business).

That is fair, and I agree. However, they do appear to be more aggressive than other airlines.

yizazar said:   
TravelerMSY said:   I value the relationship with AA too much to risk selling miles, but I'd probably consider it if I were a FWFer selling a one-off batch of miles and didn't care about AA.

just a heads up:  unless you've got access to insider info (from AA), you don't know how "risky" selling AA miles is.  the thread you referenced is selection bias.  a "things went south on me when I sold AA miles" thread is much more likely to appear than one like " I just played AA for another $1.5k. Now @ $5k YTD Hope to finish out 2016 @ a cool $10k LOL Suckers!."  (also, you have no idea how many AA trolls posted in that thread to make selling miles seem like VERY RISKY business).

I've been a member of FW for over a decade so you can be reasonably confident I'm not an AA troll.  I did sell my AA miles and I got blackballed.  When I have some more time I'll post the e-mails they sent me but they did try to get me to disclose the name of the broker I sold the miles to.  Didn't get threatened with legal action and I don't fly AA often so it's not a big deal for me.  This happened in 2014 and I'm pretty sure it's a lifetime ban because I tried to register for another account a few months back and wasn't able to do it.  Just a data point.

Skipping 62 Messages...
I recommend Bruce (aka Bruce the flight-hunter). I've sold to him multiple times.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017