• filter:

Homeowners insurance claim and depreciation

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I had a covered property damage homeowners claim.  The damages estimate is for approximately  $8,000.  Less depreciation of $1,500 and my $1,000 deductible, the insurance company sent me a check for $5,500.  My mortgage company will sign the check and does not require any additional proof since it is below their threshold.  I have found a contractor to do the repair work for a total of $4,000.  Can I still recover the depreciation which has been held back?  If so, what documents do I provide the insurance company?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Depreciation and having someone repair it for less than the net proceed are not related.

rated:
I think the answer is "Yes"....you will probably have to submit some type of "Certificate of Completion" form that the contractor signs indicating the repair work has been completed and/or possibly send in some pictures showing the work has been completed.

rated:
You might need to show the repairs totaled more than 6500 for them to cut you a check. You might be able to get the contractor to give you a bill for the full 8k and submit that. This could be fraud or unethical so it's something for you to ponder before you do it.

rated:
ClaimsGuy said:   I had a covered property damage homeowners claim.  The damages estimate is for approximately  $8,000.  Less depreciation of $1,500 
  What depreciation? Houses don't usually depreciate like cars. If the damage is $8K, that is what you should get, less the deductible. 

rated:
$8k is only an estimate. contractor might find that actual repair costs are $10k.

rated:
atikovi said:   
ClaimsGuy said:   I had a covered property damage homeowners claim.  The damages estimate is for approximately  $8,000.  Less depreciation of $1,500 
  What depreciation? Houses don't usually depreciate like cars. If the damage is $8K, that is what you should get, less the deductible. 

Homeowners insurance pays out on an actual cash value basis.  Once repairs are made, they will pay out on a replacement cost basis.  Depreciation is the difference between the replacement cost and actual cash value.

rated:
Most of the time insurance companies will offer  home owners a small amount to close the claim and this amount might not be enough to pay for all your damages. I always recommend hiring a public adjuster so they can do a professional estimate and work with your insurance company to make sure you receive the right payment to cover all your costs. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017