• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Previously, I had received email from AmEx to provide social security number for an authorized user "A" I had added to my account over the phone but I was not asked for A's SSN at that time (asked for name and relationship only). I never followed up on that email; however, when I upgraded my card I received a new card for "A" too. In the process of confirming the new card for "A" over the phone (not a live customer service rep but an interactive voice) I was asked for SSN. I inadvertently entered my own SSN and the interactive (automated) voice said, "Thank you, the SSN has been updated!" Should I be concerned about this since my SSN is now associated with "A"? Should I call them to remove that piece of information or just let it go?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
That might trigger something at Amex since your SSN is associated with the main card.

rated:
my only experience with AU is with MC and for that it asked for a primary card holder's SSN when activating any cards, primary or AU.  You may just want to call AmEx and find out and have them fix it. 

rated:
Might add a new name to your CR as well if they report the account to the big 3.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Might add a new name to your CR as well if they report the account to the big 3.
  Or add your SSN to the AU's credit report.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Might add a new name to your CR as well if they report the account to the big 3.
  More like "will add" based on my personal experience.
I am already getting CC offers for this AU (in a short span a few months after I added the AU).

rated:
Glitch99 said:   

This is not possible because according to OP they know only AU's Name and AU's Relationship to OP and both could be fictional. How can they identify AU by a name and a relationship to OP and both could be fictional?

rated:
GoldenSacks said:   
Glitch99 said:   

This is not possible because according to OP they know only AU's Name and AU's Relationship to OP and both could be fictional. How can they identify AU by a name and a relationship to OP and both could be fictional?

Amex doesn't identify anything.  They report the name to the credit bureaus, and the credit bureaus make a "best guess" as to which report to add it to, if any.  I've had AU accounts show up on a report with just a matching name and zip code.  

If OP's AU already has this account attached to their report, there's a reasonable chance the additional info will filter through onto their report.  If it wasn't already on the AU's report, the addition of his SSN makes it more likely it'll show up on his own report.

rated:
To be more specific, if my name were John Doe with SSN 123-45-6789 then I added my sister Jane Doe (as an AU) with the same SSN 123-45-6789. I gave AmEx my last name for my sister and her first name. She is not living with me or in my Zip Code. Will this cause problems in the future for me? What should I do now?

rated:
Why not just call AmEx and tell them your mistake? Or are you trying to get another card number under a variation of your own name? Todd, just come clean.

rated:
I had an AmEx in my maiden name and had a quick need to change my card to may married name, but could not find my marriage certificate to get it changed officially. I ended up adding myself as an authorized user with my married name and same SS#, so I have one card with my maiden name and authorized user card with married name. I have had both for over 10 years now and they have never said anything. I use the original card with my maiden name for recurring bills, because I was too lazy to change bill pay settings, and the other card for day-to-day purchases.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017