Has the gift card buying loophole to qualify for Am Ex incidental airline fees reimbursement been closed?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Last year (Jan 2016) I was able to get the $100 incidental reimbursed within days of buying an Amazon giving gift card through the MileagePlus X app. I chose United Airlines as my airline of choice. This year past month I made the same charge. Charge posted as  "MPX*Amazon.COM 1-800-421-4655 TX" just as it did last year. Its been a month and my statement has closed but yet to get the reimbursement. I am reluctant to call so as not to raise any flags. Anyone else having the same problem? I have the American Express Premier rewards Card with annual fee.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Needs to be in $50 increments.

It's dead and has been for a while.

There's usually fairly up to date info on what's currently working on Flyertalk. A thread for each selectable airline.

I just did two $100 AA gift cards at the end of January, and it triggered it no problem.

TravelerMSY said:   There's usually fairly up to date info on what's currently working on Flyertalk. A thread for each selectable airline.
  Exactly. I referred to them just a few days ago and they are as up-to-date as can be, with plenty of recent data points.

Quikboy4 said:   I just did two $100 AA gift cards at the end of January, and it triggered it no problem.

same

Quikboy4 said:   I just did two $100 AA gift cards at the end of January, and it triggered it no problem.

That's not the loophole OP is asking about.

Looks like you can get reimbursement for funding your own UA gift registry. There is a thread in FT.

That might be the trick for united now, Amazon GC's are dead.  Last time I just bought 4 giftcards and sold them to ABC for $165 for $200 worth.  You might get more if you wait out and sell them..

BrianGa said:   Looks like you can get reimbursement for funding your own UA gift registry. There is a thread in FT.
  $200 registry payment on 2/21. AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement on 2/23 in full.

You have to use the gift registry now for united

How does the UA gift registry work ? You just buy UA airline gift card through through where?
Thanks.

vivianternet said:   How does the UA gift registry work ? You just buy UA airline gift card through through where?
Thanks.

http://bfy.tw/ARh6

Click on the first link in the results.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017