• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Back in 2007 I used to use Bank Rate to find what checking account paid the highest APY.  It had hundreds of banks and credit unions and ranked them by APY.  Now I search and there are only two results and they have a disclaimer stating they are sponsored results.  What the heck happened?

I like to check every now and then and shop around for checking account interest rates.  I use Alliant which looks like it's still decent

Some alternatives it looks like:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/

https://www.nerdwallet.com

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Correct-o. Tried bankrate.com and got only javascript void error message.

rated:
Hello - Rip Van Winkle! Can't comment on the bank rate site but the interest paid by banks sucks so badly that it is not worth bothering with the interest - just stick to a good bank with reasonable rates e.g. Ally and stick with the bank. [Staying in the bank system for large amounts of cash is a losing proposition - inflation is eating away your money].

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   Hello - Rip Van Winkle! Can't comment on the bank rate site but the interest paid by banks sucks so badly that it is not worth bothering with the interest - just stick to a good bank with reasonable rates e.g. Ally and stick with the bank. [Staying in the bank system for large amounts of cash is a losing proposition - inflation is eating away your money].
  lol, you make a great point.  I remember the days of 4% APY on checking accounts.  Now it doesn't make sense to waste time chasing shitty APY rates for checking accounts.  Much better to look for ways to reduce expenses, improve income or reevaluate current taxable and non-taxable investments.

rated:
monohydr4te said:   Much better to look for ways to reduce expenses, improve income or reevaluate current taxable and non-taxable investments.

Have to say those things are always higher on my priority list than the near-zero-risk but depressing bank checking returns, even with the rate increase.
I may go with 50-50 (half in CDs, half in mutual/index funds) to reduce the risks when I'm 70.

rated:
sclantw said:   
monohydr4te said:   Much better to look for ways to reduce expenses, improve income or reevaluate current taxable and non-taxable investments.
Have to say those things are always higher on my priority list than the near-zero-risk but depressing bank checking returns, even with the rate increase.
I may go with 50-50 (half in CDs, half in mutual/index funds) to reduce the risks when I'm 70.

In theory, if you have good financial discipline in the first place, it is hard to be successful in reducing expenses without reducing your lifestyle.

I hate to pre-suppose what I will do when I am in my 70's. It boils down to interest rates and stock market valuations. Few years ago, I bought some muni bonds and that one was a good decision - these bonds are fairly safe and generate a nice tax free income  (both state/federal tax free and not subject to AMT either). I wish I could repeat that purchase but interest rates are down. But things are looking up from an interest rate perspective. Recently, I saw some muni bonds which were beginning to look interesting. If the interest rates keep rising, I might pull the trigger and buy some of these bonds and get myself setup for the future. The biggest debate in my head is going to be "covered calls" versus "muni bonds" and it would really boil down to the gap between these two investment choices.

rated:
Same with Angie's List. Haven't had work done in years, so I did a search for plumbers within 50 miles of my home in the LA metro area.

Three results. Total.

Went with someone off of Yelp.

rated:
Doctor of Credit Best Banks

I agree deposit yields are hardly worth mentioning.  DoC provides possible new bank sign ups that provide short term rewards for new deposit accounts above deposit yields.

Doctor of Credit sometimes gets an arrangement with NorthPointe Bank.  Up to $5,000 at 5% if you jump through some hoops which you can and should read before deciding. Then inquire if available at this time if you are interested.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/northpointe-50-bonus-50-charity-5-...
I just did not have the funds at the time of the offer to make it work for me.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017