• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My fiancé's mother has really been helping us out recently, my old car broke down and to help me get something more reliable her mother helped us out. I go to a dealership and the guy seems like a legitimate nice old man (grandfather type very homely) turns out he's a scumbag who sells half broken cars. Well now my future mother inlaw says that there's still not charge after two statements. I was wondering if we should keep quiet and wondering if there's a legal time limit on how long this car dealer can wait to charge or if he can charge it between now or a year from now. I've never dealt with this before and I don't want to believe that I got a free car but as of right now it seems I might have a free car?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You don't have a free car.

rated:
@atikovi, I kinda figured that I've just never experienced something like this. In the end it's wishful thinking but is there a limit on how long a car dealer or merchant can wait before finally charging the card?

rated:
Most likely either the sales agreement or state law gives the dealer a security interest in the car. The dealer can pursue payment or a lien at any time.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   Most likely either the sales agreement or state law gives the dealer a security interest in the car. The dealer can pursue payment or a lien at any time.

So even a year or two down the line he can come back and get paid? That's kinda messed up, I understand needing to protect the interests of the merchant but still.

rated:
Given that it was bought out right with the credit I figured that it might be a little different than if I had been financed.

rated:
tomgoply79 said:   
stanolshefski said:   Most likely either the sales agreement or state law gives the dealer a security interest in the car. The dealer can pursue payment or a lien at any time.
So even a year or two down the line he can come back and get paid? That's kinda messed up, I understand needing to protect the interests of the merchant but still.

Most likely the dealer can expect to get paid until the statute of limitations for contractual debts in your state.

rated:
You say your mother-in-law to be is helping out. Is it possible she's just telling you this so you don't feel you owe her back?

rated:
Do you live in a title certificate state? You said that you bought the car outright. Did you receive a title? Did it have any lien endorsements on it??

rated:
tomgoply79 said:   Given that it was bought out right with the credit I figured that it might be a little different than if I had been financed.
Credit is just a different manner of financing. Right now, you're either borrowing money from the dealer at 0% (his problem) or the charge is pending at your CC and you're borrowing money from your CC company at 0% until you're billed for it.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017