Home owners insurance payout question

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We recently had chimney a fire in our home. We own our home out right. We've never had to file a claim before so I'm hoping for some help. 

The insurance company sent out their contractor to do an estimate. We also got our own estimates.

We got a copy of the estimate from the contractor and our insurance adjuster told us it's approved and they can start the work. My questions as are:

Can we ask for a payout? Is it too late? And is the payout going to be for the same amount on the estimate that they approved? Or will they try to give us less (even though they approved it)?

We did not sign an agreement to start any repairs yet.

We have some issues with the contractor after we asked him for a price on additional work, he gave us a price that was way too high compared to the other estimates we got. They are only fixing part of our roof around the chimney, we wanted the do the entire roof and were willing the pay the extra cost out of pocket. But we don't want to use him.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What did they (insurance company) say when you called and asked them?

Did you sign any contract with the contractor who gave you the estimate?  If he spent anytime working on your estimate, I'm sure they want some kind of payment  for their efforts.  I had hail damage on my roof 5 years ago and the insurance co approved for the replacement of entire roof, the contractor we had told us that if we want to have it done on our own at later date, he'll just charge us $500 for his services dealing with the ins co and he can turn over the claim check to us (insurance fraud) .  Since we needed a new roof anyway, we decided to let him do the entire roof replacement so we don't have to worry about it for years to come.

Most contractors in our state will do the inspection/estimate for free. Most just hop to get the job after the fact. I have had many home repairs done, including a full roof replacement, and multiple times I have refused to use the first contractor that came out.

ach1199 said:   Did you sign any contract with the contractor who gave you the estimate?  If he spent anytime working on your estimate, I'm sure they want some kind of payment  for their efforts. 
  Outside of plumbers or appliance repairs, most contractors in other trades don't usually charge for estimates. 

No, he was sent over by our insurance company to do the estimate. No charges were discussed. I have not asked the adjuster for the payout yet. I wanted some advice in dealing with adjusters. I've read the insurance company will try to lowball you, but they already have estimates from their contractor. So will they offer less as a payout?

alayalee said:   No, he was sent over by our insurance company to do the estimate. No charges were discussed. I have not asked the adjuster for the payout yet. I wanted some advice in dealing with adjusters. I've read the insurance company will try to lowball you, but they already have estimates from their contractor. So will they offer less as a payout?

Depends on the company, and if you have actual cash value, or replacement cost coverage.  From my experience the insurance company let me pick a contractor.  They typically will cut you a check for the actual value (depreciated value of the asset), and then after the repairs are completed you submit the final cost, and they pay the difference if you have replacement cost coverage.

Just call the adjuster and tell them you didnt feel comfortable with the contractor, and that you would like to look for your own.  They should tell you right out what your able to do, and not to do.

how much was the estimate for?

approx $53k ($19k of which is for labor). This is for living room hardwood floors, chimney repair, new mounding and paint in the living room/kitchen, and a small part of the roof around the chimney. We have a small ranch, 1100sq ft home. We got a quote from a reputable chimney/roofing company for 10k completely new roof, chimney liner and brick work, and gutters.

Contractor wants for $9k to do the rest of the roof, this is above the $11k he's charging for the    Small portion of the roof he's doing. 

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to have the insurer's contractor do the claim work, and then hire your own roofer for the balance of the roofing (assuming you find a better quote).  Rationale here is that the insurer's contractor has strong incentive to ensure that you're satisfied with the work.  A complaint from you might be enough to stop the insurer from using him anymore.  That's a valuable piece of leverage.

alayalee said:   approx $53k ($19k of which is for labor). This is for living room hardwood floors, chimney repair, new mounding and paint in the living room/kitchen, and a small part of the roof around the chimney. We have a small ranch, 1100sq ft home. We got a quote from a reputable chimney/roofing company for 10k completely new roof, chimney liner and brick work, and gutters.

Contractor wants for $9k to do the rest of the roof, this is above the $11k he's charging for the    Small portion of the roof he's doing. 

Is this all the same company?  Unless this is a full service contractor - practically on the scale of a homebuilder, I don't think I'd be hiring the same company to do interior finish work as I would to repair a chimney as I would to put on a new roof.  Talk to your adjuster about hiring one company to do the chimney/roof work and another to do the interior finish work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017