Landlord Google search tenant Surprise! Arrested/JailI

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Landlord Google search tenant Surprise! Arrested/Jail

I haven't seen this one here before but then I haven't really looked for it either.  It took me totally by surprise when I happen to Google my property (rental) address a month or so ago and saw the husbands name of my renter show up in the arrest records online via the local newspaper arrest records.  I don't read the paper every day and I certainly don't read that column.  But he was arrested for possession.   

Now the the back story is that they have been tenants since 2002 and have paid their rent on time every month since then.  And I know that it's the wife that's the one responsible for paying the rent because she's the one with the full time job. He's worked part time but I wasn't aware until *this* just how bad the situation has gotten. 

She comes by and pays the rent every month in person and we talk and honestly, we've never been asked to pay out upkeep on the unit except for the hot water heater and the air conditioner when it's gone out.  We've replaced the roof and repainted when it needed it.  So they've been almost the perfect renters.    

I'm not looking for advice or anything.  I do have it in the back of my mind that my address could be tied to his activities.  They have 3 school age children though so I think he's just f*cked up.  It's not her, I know that.  She told me 2 months ago she was filing for divorce and then she took him back I guess.  That's when I found all this out on Google. In my County/State you can look up court records.  He was on probation so I signed up to be notified of any changes.  Today they emailed and said he was back in jail on another charge.  

I haven't said anything to her but this is a small town.  I'll have to see what she says next month. 

Anyway.  My point is..if you are a Landlord, I would set up a Google alert for your address of your rental property address.  That and / or your renters name in conjunction with the address.  

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
A tenant at a duplex my family used to own was a nice guy who paid his rent every month. Found out after the cops took h... (more)

ntr91 (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 4:11p) |

Didn't look at the lease, but just because something is the default now, doesn't mean it's not a good idea to put into a... (more)

marginoferror (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 5:06p) |

Exactly. If times get tough, he could pay his rent "in kind".

alamo11 (Mar. 11, 2017 @ 6:18p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

allowingtoo said:   I'm not looking for advice or anything.

My advice is to get a blog.

allowingtoo said:   She comes by and pays the rent every month in person and we talk and honestly...

Why do people give out their home address to tenants?

My advice is to leave your tenants alone.  You are potentially getting yourself into some legal problems.

That title looked to me like randomly generated. I had to concentrate in order to parse it. I doubt it is because I am not a native speaker...
That's said. As long as the tenant pays and looks after your house, I would think it is none of your business.

unnamedone said:   
allowingtoo said:   She comes by and pays the rent every month in person and we talk and honestly...

I, for one, do it because I'm a grown man. They are more than welcome to drop off their rent. I have cameras, and everyone knows it. Not to mention, two of our rentals are on our street, so they would know where I live within a couple of weeks of moving in, regardless. I meet prospective tenants at the rental units, but once approved they come to my house for paper signing, etc. I'm not going to rent to anyone I don't feel comfortable sitting across my table from. 

I have a Drug Addendum in my lease, that all tenants must sign off on. Basically says they can be evicted for drug use, selling, etc. Personally, I don't give a shit if they smoke a joint or whatever in their home (my house), but I do care if my address shows up in the paper for 'dealing' or something. The addendum just gives me the freedom to evict them if I see their name in the paper with my address.......I won't house a drug dealer.

ElephantNest said:   The addendum just gives me the freedom to evict them if I see their name in the paper with my address.......I won't house a drug dealer.

your addendum may be unlawful. it doesn't just grant you "freedom" to do what you want.

generally, if a tenant commits a crime AT THE PROPERTY, then you can usually evict. If they commit a crime elsewhere, then it's not that easy.

I wonder if there is a site for learning about bad landlords?

castaline said:   I wonder if there is a site for learning about bad landlords?

I really wish there was. I've had my share of deadbeat LLs.

allowingtoo said:    .  And I know that it's the wife that's the one responsible for paying the rent because she's the one with the full time job.

She comes by and pays the rent every month in person and we talk and honestly,   It's not her, I know that.  She told me 2 months ago she was filing for divorce and then she took him back

Dear Penthouse.....

(Seriously, stay out of it)

". But he was arrested for possession. "

Possession of what?

Might not even be illegal in my state.

OP, I say leave the Tenant to deal herself the problems she has in personal/marriage etc matters. She pays you your agreed-upon rent on-time every single month...and holds a steady job....so try not to create more troubles for a fine lady that is trying to handle all the pain she is going thru. Why do you want to cause extra pain for a person that has been good to you? She may have difficulty finding another rental if you kick her....also think about the 3 school going kids...........you would be doing a terrible karma acquisition if you kick her just for the power-trip-feeling that I am the landlord and dont prefer My address to show up on drug related topics...if you think it's a damage, then the damage has already been done, what more damage can come out of this online records?

unnamedone said:   

If I am a renter, I would be pretty demanding about that.

jerosen said:   ". But he was arrested for possession. "

Possession of what?

Might not even be illegal in my state.

It is. "Legality" in any states where it is asserted is predicated on non-enforcement of federal law.

I think the better question is WHY are you stalking your tenant?

Mind your own damn business. This is how you want to treat tenants that never bother you and always pay on time?

Geez. Everyone jumps to conclusions so quickly don't they! I was looking at selling the property at that time. No stalking involved.

She pays the rent. On time. Every month. I have no plans to kick her out.

She knows that we are thinking about selling the property though. We have asked her if they would like to buy it but they don't have the money for it and they don't have enough for a down payment for a 'rent to own' option.

I just thought it would be easy enough for Landlords to set up a Google Alert for your property address if your newspaper has an arrest record like mine does so that if in fact your address comes up you would know. Is that stalking? Or would you rather remain clueless?

BradMajors said:   My advice is to leave your tenants alone.  You are potentially getting yourself into some legal problems.

Yep, cash their check and mind yer own bidness.  The goal here is to be what is called an "arms length" third party.   

BradMajors said:   My advice is to leave your tenants alone.  You are potentially getting yourself into some legal problems.

What legal problems are you thinking of?

unnamedone said:   

I had a tenant that grew increasingly paranoid.  She was a decent tenant, paid on time and didn't cause a lot of heartburn, but for a while she didn't trust the mail or any electronic means to pay her rent and just wanted to hand deliver it to us every month so she would know that it was paid.  It was fine- she just came by once a month to bring us the rent.  

That lasted for a while before she calmed down and started trusting the US mail again to send us a check.   

I don't understand all the red for the OP. I mean, it doesn't belong in the finance forum, but other than that, the OP hasn't said anything wrong here. The OP isn't doing anything as a landlord to adversely affect the tenants. The OP gave some advice (set up a google alert for your property address) and backed it up with a story of what was found by googling the address. How is the OP NOT minding their own business by literally minding (googling) their business (rental property)???

T800 said:   Mind your own damn business. This is how you want to treat tenants that never bother you and always pay on time?
  Yup, I have a tenant who's living in the same apartment for over 20 years (I bought the property in 2005) and I almost never see him....may be once a year if I run into him if I'm around the property.  He leaves the check for me on his apartment door within first few days of the month and I cash the check.  He texts me when something needs to be taken care of in the property and I take care of it.  If he gets in trouble with the law, it's none of my business unless the lawman comes looking for me and in that case, I'll deal with it.  Until then, he's a dream tenant and LL would love to have.

I think this thread brings question to all landlord. Should landlord rent to person with criminal record with average credit?

gremlins718 said:   I think this thread brings question to all landlord. Should landlord rent to person with criminal record with average credit?

I'd take someone with an average credit over a criminal background. If the credit includes judgements, especially rental related then no thanks.

gremlins718 said:   I think this thread brings question to all landlord. Should landlord rent to person with criminal record with average credit?
  Depends on the crime and credit. I'll rent to someone with a 500 credit score if the only issue is medical or housing debt; likewise I'll rent to someone with possession or misdemeanor crimes on their record. 

solarUS said:   
ElephantNest said:   The addendum just gives me the freedom to evict them if I see their name in the paper with my address.......I won't house a drug dealer.
your addendum may be unlawful. it doesn't just grant you "freedom" to do what you want.

generally, if a tenant commits a crime AT THE PROPERTY, then you can usually evict. If they commit a crime elsewhere, then it's not that easy.

It was written up for me by a LA attorney. I'll try to copy scan it and send it to you or post it for review.

ElephantNest said:   
solarUS said:   

It was written up for me by a LA attorney. I'll try to copy scan it and send it to you or post it for review.

LA as in Los Angeles or Louisiana?

I'd rent to some employed, white-collar felons, with a few 30-day lates, (But I'd generally say no to 60/90 day lates, charge-offs, judgments, BK's, or evictions)

UtahDealSeeker said:   
ElephantNest said:   
solarUS said:   

LA as in Los Angeles or Louisiana?

Louisiana 

alamo11 said:   
  Depends on the crime and credit. I'll rent to someone with a 500 credit score if the only issue is medical or housing debt; likewise I'll rent to someone with possession or misdemeanor crimes on their record. 

But would they tell you? I always ask why they're moving. Anyway got an application from a woman once who wanted to move in right away. She filled out an application and emailed me a few times. I finally googled her name and it showed she had been arrested and did 6 months in jail and just got out for dealing. I emailed her the link and asked if that was her and she never replied back.

The tip here is that if someone says that they're staying with friends or for whatever reason can't provide a landlord reference, look closely.  

WTF? Jesus, why can't I upload a damn image??

ElephantNest said:   WTF? Jesus, why can't I upload a damn image??
Jesus hasn't been on FWF in ages. Judas, however...

Seriously though - I am in LA too. Would be curious about that lease. Did the attorney cite any case law that backs it up? Because attorneys in LA are like wetlands - they get scarce when things go South.

allowingtoo said:   Geez. Everyone jumps to conclusions so quickly don't they! I was looking at selling the property at that time. No stalking involved.

She knows that we are thinking about selling the property though. We have asked her if they would like to buy it but they don't have the money for it and they don't have enough for a down payment for a 'rent to own' option.

I just thought it would be easy enough for Landlords to set up a Google Alert for your property address if your newspaper has an arrest record like mine does so that if in fact your address comes up you would know. Is that stalking? Or would you rather remain clueless?

Good for you OP.  Keep an eye on your property.  I think all the FWF people got bent out of shape over the rest of your OP.  If you would have just said in the OP:

"If you are a Landlord, I would set up a Google alert for your address of your rental property address.  That and / or your renters name in conjunction with the address."

Since you should be aware of what is happening at your house.  What if your rental property was busted as a Meth lab?  You have to disclose that when you sell the house.

Ok, then. WHAM! It decided to appear.

PhDeez said:   
allowingtoo said:   Geez. Everyone jumps to conclusions so quickly don't they! I was looking at selling the property at that time. No stalking involved.

Good for you OP.  Keep an eye on your property.  I think all the FWF people got bent out of shape over the rest of your OP.  If you would have just said in the OP:

"If you are a Landlord, I would set up a Google alert for your address of your rental property address.  That and / or your renters name in conjunction with the address."

Since you should be aware of what is happening at your house.  What if your rental property was busted as a Meth lab?  You have to disclose that when you sell the house.

I'm in the same boat. Trying to sell one of the rentals, superb tenants, been there for years. I certainly don't want to run them off, so I gave them the 1st option to buy. They are trying to use some gov't program that allows for less or no money down. They've paid more than their note would be for 5 years or so, so I know they can afford it. The tricky part is, if they cannot buy it, I fear that if I list it they will begin looking for another place to live. 

ElephantNest said:   Ok, then. WHAM! It decided to appear.
Items #4 and #5 are likely not enforceable. The rest of the items don't require inclusion on a lease to be enforced, although it doesnt hurt to remind a tenant of them.

Again, just because you put it in your lease, and it's signed, doesnt make it legal/binding. I only say this so you don't expect to be able to throw somebody out of their rental because they got a possession charge or something.

All the reds are from...well...I'll just leave that to your imagination ❄️️   ❄️️   I am SO not biased against this.   Been there, done that a long long many moons ago.

But this is another day another age.  And now it's Meth and not just pot.  And or a combination of the two.  Would you want a grow house in your rental?  Or a meth house?  Blowing your rental house up?  These are things an average rental deposit doesn't cover. 

Neither which applied in my situation but gave me something to think about once I found out he had been arrested.  

I think it's an addendum that should be included now along with noise, sub leasing, etc.  

You can't close your eyes to the fact that the world has changed and we have to change with it.  All the lease agreements that you find online and print out don't cover this.  I find that curious.  

solarUS said:   
ElephantNest said:   Ok, then. WHAM! It decided to appear.
Items #4 and #5 are likely not enforceable. The rest of the items don't require inclusion on a lease to be enforced, although it doesnt hurt to remind a tenant of them.

Again, just because you put it in your lease, and it's signed, doesnt make it legal/binding. I only say this so you don't expect to be able to throw somebody out of their rental because they got a possession charge or something.

Honestly, I don't care about possession. I worry that my address appears in the paper for distribution, which could very well make it hard to rent in the future. Could also drop the value of the property. I don't give 2 shits if they smoke pot or something, just don't be selling it. 

A tenant at a duplex my family used to own was a nice guy who paid his rent every month. Found out after the cops took him away at 4 AM that he was a medium-time coke dealer.

The next tenants let their kids crap on the floor and never paid on time. Would have much rather had the dealer stay.

BONUS: When renovating the bathroom, I took down the ceiling tiles and about 200 dime bags fell out. they were all empty though.

Skipping 2 Messages...
ntr91 said:   A tenant at a duplex my family used to own was a nice guy who paid his rent every month. Found out after the cops took him away at 4 AM that he was a medium-time coke dealer.

The next tenants let their kids crap on the floor and never paid on time. Would have much rather had the dealer stay.

BONUS: When renovating the bathroom, I took down the ceiling tiles and about 200 dime bags fell out. they were all empty though.

Exactly. If times get tough, he could pay his rent "in kind".

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017