• filter:

Christian Community Credit Union Offers $200 Bonus

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So i recently drove around California and saw a new bank .. i did some research and this credit union offers a $200 bonus.. for opening a new account? I got on the phone with them because $200 does sound good and will pay off some of my bills... I'm skeptical if I should do it? Is there a catch? I never really go for bank bonuses because i feel like there's something more to it than the requirements.. anyone ever applied for a bank bonus and regretted it?

Here is the link to the actual offer†https://www.mycccu.com/checking

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks, I might, but we are buying a house so we are trying to stick money in on that right now. That is why these banks... (more)

TheBells (May. 07, 2017 @ 8:28p) |

FYI, bonus posted after 3rd DD.

gremln007 (May. 16, 2017 @ 6:22a) |

Thanks. I've got one to go then.

Stubtify (May. 16, 2017 @ 9:52a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
They also offer a 4% rate "welcome certificate" on $500-2500 deposit.
https://www.mycccu.com/exclusiveoffers

It appears these offers are not available to godless heathens

rated:
My hand to Odin, I thought I saw "Bill Pray" on their list of features. I'm too tempted to call them about membership eligibility just to see how far I can draw someone into the Emo Philips routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKIyCbppfs

rated:
1. To receive the $200 checking bonus: 1) Open your first free Checking or Checking Plus Account with a $100 minimum opening deposit. 2) Sign up for eStatement and recurring direct deposit within 60 days of account opening. The bonus cannot be used as the opening deposit. Direct deposit needs to be an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension, or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government.
The bonus will be deposited within 60 days into your Checking Account after membership eligibility and Checking Account are approved and you have met the Direct Deposit and eStatement requirements. Offer is not available to existing Christian Community Credit Union members with Checking Accounts or those whose membership or Checking Accounts have been closed. Bonus offer available to U.S. residents.
The bonus is considered taxable income and will be reported to the IRS on your 1099-INT form. If your Checking Account is closed within six months after account opening, the bonus will be deducted from the closing balance. Offer effective 02/21/17 and is subject to change without notice.
2. No monthly fee with Direct Deposit or a $1,500 minimum daily balance. $10 otherwise.
3. No minimum balance required after $100 opening balance.

rated:

rated:
They use American Share Insurance as deposit guarantor.

rated:
jerosen said:   It appears these offers are not available to godless heathens

Correct, heathens are not welcome there, and neither are Catholics.

And they WILL check.† They ask for your freaking tithing statements that show how much you've donated to your church.† If you're too poor to have sent anything to your church during the last tax year, no problem, they will just call your church.

This is all ridiculous to me.† In my mind, being a member of a certain church/faith means you attend services there or sacrifice virgins or bomb buildings or whatever your religion is supposed to do.† It does NOT to me mean necessarily that you "signed up" at the church and had all your personal details recorded by church personnel.† Especially if you only attend services a few times a year and make your donations in cash via the collection box.

So if MyCCCU calls your church and there's no record of you, MyCCCU will deny your membership application.† And then give you a lecture about why CUs must have membership requirements, and how you should be supporting your church, etc.

I would not apply there again even if the bonus was $500.

rated:
"In my mind, being a member of a certain church/faith means you attend services there or sacrifice virgins or bomb buildings or whatever your religion is supposed to do.† It does NOT to me mean necessarily that you "signed up" at the church and had all your personal details recorded by church personnel"

I'm pretty sure that there aren't a lot of churches that require you to do any of those things you listed.

However, if you want to take advantage of existing laws by claiming some sort of church status, then having those things on record can help you do that. For instance, tithing can be tax deductible, so if you allow the church to have a record of it, then it's much easier when they just send you a statement at the end of the year. There are also some Christian health groups that you can join to fulfill the Obamacare mandate, and again there are certain requirements such as attendance that these organizations ask for, and it's much more helpful if you've allowed your church to monitor them so that you can get the insurance.

In short, lighten up, Francis.

rated:
irate_retro said:   

And they WILL check.† They ask for your freaking tithing statements that show how much you've donated to your church.† If you're too poor to have sent anything to your church during the last tax year, no problem, they will just call your church.

This is all ridiculous to me.† In my mind, being a member of a certain church/faith means you attend services there or sacrifice virgins or bomb buildings or whatever your religion is supposed to do.† It does NOT to me mean necessarily that you "signed up" at the church and had all your personal details recorded by church personnel.† Especially if you only attend services a few times a year and make your donations in cash via the collection box.

So if MyCCCU calls your church and there's no record of you, MyCCCU will deny your membership application.† And then give you a lecture about why CUs must have membership requirements, and how you should be supporting your church, etc.

††I don't believe this is true.† A few years ago I join CCCU because they offered a great CD.† It was great and they never checked on my church background.

rated:
pattyB said:   I don't believe this is true.† A few years ago I join CCCU because they offered a great CD.† It was great and they never checked on my church background.
My information is from my own application around the middle of last year.† When you joined for the CD rate, at that time they may not have been offering hundreds of dollars just for joining, so they likely weren't getting hammered by people in it just for the bonus.† Many of them, I might add, are likely claiming to be something that they are not.† Of course I would never do anything like that!

In all fairness, I did leave out a step.† The first thing the employee said (after I refused providing tithing records) was that I could supply a letter from the pastor on church letterhead saying that I'm a member in lieu of the tithing statement.† Yeah, I can just see someone's request for such a letter:† "Dear Pastor, I'm a deadbeat who hasn't tithed anything last year.† Can I haz a letter saying Ima good member plz?"† Before I could even contemplate getting such a letter from said pastor, that's when they called the church without warning.† I checked my email records, and this was all handled via secure mail on their returning applicant site.† Otherwise I'd be able to post the whole exchange.† Making a phone call to the pastor without my permission was out of line, IMHO.
andypro77 said:   there are certain requirements such as attendance that these organizations ask for, and it's much more helpful if you've allowed your church to monitor them so that you can get the insurance.

Attendance records, are you serious?† Maybe I'm just of the wrong faith, but taking attendance in church would seem downright awkward to me in that setting.† Do you have to check in every Sunday before being allowed to enter the service, or something?† Do they call out "Bueller, Bueller..." during the service?† Or if it's just a "sign the guestbook" type of deal, well anyone can put down anything.† Heck, one guy could write down the names for the whole block in exchange for a few pints of beer at the BBQ afterwards.† Seems rather strange to me.

rated:
This is legit. There have been a number of posts about this CU on FW. I believe DoC has also covered them.

rated:
Thanks everyone! I did a little more research and according to BankDealGuy's, there are two branches in California and you must be be affiliated with a ministry or church groups within Christian Community Credit Unionís field of membership. hopefully i get accepted

I'll go ahead and apply for this bonus.. any other bonuses you guys recommend in the California area??

rated:
irate_retro said:   

† BItter much?

rated:
Where's the Atheist Community CU?

rated:
Attendance records, are you serious?† Maybe I'm just of the wrong faith, but taking attendance in church would seem downright awkward to me in that setting.† Do you have to check in every Sunday before being allowed to enter the service, or something?† Do they call out "Bueller, Bueller..." during the service?† Or if it's just a "sign the guestbook" type of deal, well anyone can put down anything.† Heck, one guy could write down the names for the whole block in exchange for a few pints of beer at the BBQ afterwards.† Seems rather strange to me.

† In my church, they have a card for you to fill out. You can check a box that says 'First Time Attender', 'Need Prayer', 'Member', etc. The cards are on the backs of chairs and you put them in when they pass the plate around. You are not required to fill them out, but I always do, because, whatever.

We did have a guy that was filling them out for a dozen or so people, but when he was found out, he received 50 lashes. Plus, people just crucified him on social media.

rated:
irate_retro said:   Attendance records, are you serious?† Maybe I'm just of the wrong faith, but taking attendance in church would seem downright awkward to me in that setting.† Do you have to check in every Sunday before being allowed to enter the service, or something?† Do they call out "Bueller, Bueller..." during the service?† Or if it's just a "sign the guestbook" type of deal, well anyone can put down anything.† Heck, one guy could write down the names for the whole block in exchange for a few pints of beer at the BBQ afterwards.† Seems rather strange to me.
† Way OT to the OP, but I work for my church and here's a general sense of what we do: we have a friendship pad that people can fill in their info if they wish each week. We use it to communicate with folks (here's what's happening in your church, etc) and yes, we take attendance. If someone goes missing for several weeks, one of us (staff) reaches out to make sure everything's okay with them. Many times they'll respond that they've been sick, or lost their job, or whatever, and we have a chance to help, if they like. Most (99%) of the time, people really like being missed. There's never any pressure and if someone says hey, don't track me, we don't. But if a regular attender is missing services, most of the time they want to know that we've noticed and that we care.

ETA: In general, most people wouldn't write down other names. Except my son, who likes to be creative. If 21 Pilots appears on the roster, for example, I know it's the boy.

rated:
I opened an account in 2016 and closed it recently. I got my bonus and listed my family church. It was easy and the service I had with CCC was good.

rated:
Quovatis said:   Where's the Atheist Community CU?
† I'm guessing just south of Christian CCU

rated:
I'm going to wait until I receive a free church membership card in the mail just like the AAA Auto Club. Then I will apply for a MyCCCU checking account.

rated:
Some CCCU member please take one for the team and try using your debit card at a house of ill fame and let us know what happens. Will the CU take adverse action against your account? That would be a low blow.

rated:
Pretty easy process. It took about 10 days. Might have been faster if I sent DL in sooner.

rated:
Easy Sign up, approved after sending DL in. Thanks OP.

rated:
Did anyone's bonus post yet?

rated:
gremln007 said:   Pretty easy process. It took about 10 days. Might have been faster if I sent DL in sooner.
Did you send them any church membership proof?

rated:
leaguemastergamer said:   Thanks everyone! I did a little more research and according to BankDealGuy's,†there are two branches in California and you must be be affiliated with a ministry or church groups within Christian Community Credit Unionís field of membership. hopefully i get accepted

I'll go ahead and apply for this bonus.. any other bonuses you guys recommend in the California area??

Chase will do $300 for opening a checking account with direct deposit

rated:
GoldenSacks said:   
gremln007 said:   Pretty easy process. It took about 10 days. Might have been faster if I sent DL in sooner.
Did you send them any church membership proof?

††No, but my church was on the list.† That might have helped in my case.††

rated:
Read the details about closing the account within the first 6 months, bonus will be deducted. So the †account needs to remain open for 6 months. I think I might play this one, but the $1500 will have to sit there.†

rated:
If you do go for it consider the 18 month new member cd. 4% but capped at 2500.

rated:
Stubtify said:   If you do go for it consider the 18 month new member cd. 4% but capped at 2500.
† Thanks, I might, but we are buying a house so we are trying to stick money in on that right now. That is why these banks deals have helped. Although 4% and there is no pre-pay penalty on the pending mortgage. On some of the mortgages we are considering there is a better "fixed" rate to go 15 years and put 20% down versus 10 years and 25% down. In some cases it is almost a whole percent, so why not take the longer term, lower rate with less down and later pre-pay the principle? I could stick some cash in a cd like this and let it make more than the interest rate being charged and then put it all towards the principle upon maturity (times 2 - would have hubby do it too). People always think put more and get the shortest term but you really need to play with the numbers or they will play with you. It is our money and since banks don't want to pay a decent rate anymore on a regular basis they have forced us to play the game. So thank you for the reminder and I think I will take some more money, thank you. It is funny I was going to do a deal with Wells Fargo and a CD. I decided to close the CD. I opened it online but they made me go to the branch to close the account. For what I wanted to do they wanted $75 set-up fees and 9% interest bla bla so I wanted out. I was warned about early withdrawal penalties. When I closed out the CD - since they pay nothing, the banker even had a hard time keeping a straight face. My total fees all together was 6 cents! Although driving there and seeing his expression priceless!

rated:
gremln007 said:   Did anyone's bonus post yet?
††

rated:
gremln007 said:   
gremln007 said:   Did anyone's bonus post yet?
††

† Thanks. I've got one to go then.†

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017