• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So last summer I switched jobs and rolled over my 401k into my new employer's 401k.  However, they didn't roll over the complete amount, (besides the fees I had to pay for the rollover), they left $8-$9 in the account.  Which they now claim are not claimable by me as too little and will be consumes as fees.

how is this legal on their part?  Its a relatively small amount, but pisses me off.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Where did the $8-9 come from?

Was it somedthing like interest paid or a dividend paid while the rollover was in process? Or was it a clericlal error on their part?
Do you know?

I'd say if it was just interest/dividend while the money was in transit then that wasn't their fault and not much they should have to do about it. If they made an error then they should credit you the $8-9

It sucks. But my neighbor used to steal my newspapers and that sucked more.

rated:
I don't know where the amount came from. I asked or my account to be closed, they sent me a check. I didn't look at my dashoard there till today.

I'd argue if I'm closing an account, they should then send me a second check for whatever the residual amount is.

rated:
Ask for a statement of funds. No broker is going to write-off $8-9 and just say "ohhh, they just magically disappeared".

A more logical explanation is something to the likes of $8-9 of non-vested employer funds. Outside of that, there is no excuse, and they are certainly responsible for any funds that they "magically" lose.

rated:
work for a startup, no matching contributions (fairly standard for startups) so its all vested / my contributions.

rated:
Dividends? IRA's might be different but with a regular brokerage account, I believe it is understood that a 2nd transfer might be required to finish the transfer. But do check where these additional funds came from and then give the company grief saying that it is not a new rollover - it is part of the same rollover and you have already paid fees for it.

Fidelity was very nice about this. They rolled over my funds with a check and then I had $3.65 and they sent me a check for that. And next year, I had another employer contribution for 4.5K and I just had to call and they sent me a check.

rated:
It's SOP for brokerages to have to make two transfers or write two checks to close out a transfer.

rated:
So harangued the record keeper and htey ekpt on claiming the custodian (Schwab in this case) charges a check fee. I called schwab's 401k office and got redirected to the custodian side, they were able to find the first check sent to me (via my SSN) and said basically that what I was being told wasn't true, they don't chargre for check fees. After a bit more haranguing of the record keeper, they gave in and will send me a small check.

My joke is that its about the principle of the matter, but in practice it was only for the dividends

rated:
I had a similar situation. I got a second check, but was unable to roll it over because of the 1-year IRS rule. So I had to pay a penalty tax on that small amount. Don't know how to get around that, but it wasn't a lot of money, so I didn't bother looking into it.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017