Amex gold chargeback

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am looking to buy some used car parts from the classifieds section of a forum. I'm buying $3600 worth of parts if the person sends me a box of rocks will Amex gold give me a chargeback or does the charge back not cover used parts or car parts?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ruffriderjr said:   I am looking to buy some used car parts from the classifieds section of a forum. I'm buying $3600 worth of parts if the person sends me a box of rocks will Amex gold give me a chargeback or does the charge back not cover used parts or car parts?
  what did Amex say when you called them?

Are you use the seller will accept credit card?

I called Amex, but i didn't have the card at the time so they weren't really helpful might call again. Seemed like the people I talked to didn't know themselves. Is chargeback the same as purchase protection. Under purchase protection it says they won't, but I thought was for lost, stolen, or broken goods. The seller accepts PayPal so I was going to use my credit card through paypal

ruffriderjr said:   
 The seller accepts PayPal so I was going to use my credit card through paypal

Your dispute would go thru paypal then

Ya, but from what I read paypal doesn't always come through so I wanted to use a credit card to fall back on. Losing $3600 is a lot to lose!

Pay them extra to insure. You can also file a dispute with USPS/UPS/FEDEX.

If you receive a "box of rocks" instead of $3600 in car parts as you ordered, then I would think you could charge that back through AMEX, assuming you paid directly w/ Amex. However, when going through PayPal, you're not paying DIRECTLY with AMEX (it's indirect), so that arguably complicates potential chargebacks. AMEX is within their rights to refuse the chargeback, since PayPal is the one charging your AMEX card, not the seller of the car parts. PayPal is not selling you the car parts, they're selling you a SERVICE (i.e. the ability to pay the seller via PayPal). Thus, as has already been mentioned, if you don't receive what you actually ordered, a PayPal dispute would be the proper process. If that fails, you could try your luck w/ an AMEX dispute, but it would be YMMV. Note that if you "win" the AMEX dispute, you can kiss your PayPal account goodbye (meaning they'll likely suspend/revoke it).

ruffriderjr said:   I'm buying $3600 worth of parts if the person sends me a box of rocks will Amex gold give me a chargeback or does the charge back not cover used parts or car parts?
  How far away is this person that you can't pick up the parts yourself or at least take a cheap flight and inspect them?

I've had numerous successful chargebacks with AMEX for PayPal transactions. PayPal doesn't like it because they want you to use their joke of a dispute process. Using PayPal doesn't prevent you or inhibit you from disputing the transaction with AMEX.  You can file disputes regardless of whether you are buying new or used goods.

caterpillar123 said:   I've had numerous successful chargebacks with AMEX for PayPal transactions. PayPal doesn't like it because they want you to use their joke of a dispute process. Using PayPal doesn't prevent you or inhibit you from disputing the transaction with AMEX.  You can file disputes regardless of whether you are buying new or used goods.
  I have also not had any issue with disputes when using a marketplace for purchases and paying a third party. Here you're actually paying the merchant even though it "goes through" paypal. But it brings up the question, bank procedures/policies aside, does paying one party with a credit card who merely acts as an intermediary (but not just a merchant processor) diminish your dispute rights under the law at all?

For example, with Uber, if the driver does something that would subject the transaction to a billing dispute, are your rights as a cardholder diminished because you paid for one company to contract the service provider for you?

This is probably mostly educational as most card issuers treat disputes more liberally than the law requires, but I'm curious about it (and never even considered it before this).

ruffriderjr said:    I'm buying $3600 worth of parts if the person sends me a box of rocks will Amex gold give me a chargeback or does the charge back not cover used parts or car parts?
  Seller is probably just as worried that you will CLAIM you got a box of rocks if paying with Paypal. I sure wouldn't take PP from a total stranger for such large an amount.

I know amex will do the charge back I am just wondering if they will do it on car parts because for purchase protection it says that they do not cover car parts on their website. I am wondering if purchase protection and charge back are the same thing?

ruffriderjr said:   I know amex will do the charge back I am just wondering if they will do it on car parts because for purchase protection it says that they do not cover car parts on their website. I am wondering if purchase protection and charge back are the same thing?

What did they say when you called them and asked?

They are not the same thing,

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017