• filter:

Homeowners insurance

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
1. How long does an insurance company have to pay your claim for water damage?

2. do they have to replace what their contractor destroyed?  We have been without heat for 3 months.

TIA

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
more details needed, esp to number 2

rated:
My home had a roof leak, which caused damage in the ceiling and floors and doors. I fixed the roof. The adjuster came out and assessed we had asbestos in the ceiling and lead in the crown molding. They removed all my ceiling (asbestos) which had my radiated heat inside. I have not had a heater for almost 3 months. They no longer make the heating I had and in California they only allow for clean energy installations.

rated:
What did your insurance company say when you asked?

rated:
Insurance has to make it like the damage never happened. If the repairs require more expenses to bring it up to code, that may be on you unless you paid extra for that kind of coverage.

rated:
There is nothing left to bring to code, they destroyed the unit enclosed in the ceiling and sent it to the dump.  So would anything replacing would be new and to code right?

rated:
they don't know what to do yet, and I have provided three estimates all within the same pricing.  My adjuster is in Maine and I am in CA.

rated:
Every state has fair claims handling regulations that an insurer must adhere to. Should be on the CA Ins. Dept. website. They generally have x number of days to pay a claim once settled, must respond to correspondence within x number of days, etc. If things have gone really awry, you can file a complaint with the insurance department. At a minimum, you will get the insurer's attention really quickly and the claim will be monitored at a higher level within the company until it is resolved.

rated:
Thank you everyone!

rated:
I had an adjuster come out and inspect my roof for wind damage, report and check in hand before he left. Safeco has been great.

rated:
laureahench said:   My home had a roof leak, which caused damage in the ceiling and floors and doors. I fixed the roof. The adjuster came out and assessed we had asbestos in the ceiling and lead in the crown molding. They removed all my ceiling (asbestos) which had my radiated heat inside.

Asbestos removal doesnt happen just like that. What did the adjuster say about payment/coverage for the removal and putting in new insulation when he/she made the assessment (and before someone actually removed the asbestos)?

rated:
The asbestos was in the popcorn ceiling.  They removed the asbestos by removing my whole ceiling.  Which in turn destroyed my radiated heating in the living and kitchen area.  I just got the call today that they have approved my request and will be putting in new heating & a/c, since they no longer make radiated heat for my ceiling and CA has new codes for energy efficient products.  So, it seems they were shocked that my ceiling was completely removed and a possible error on their part, as they hired the contractor to do the abatement..

rated:
I don't know about California, but radiant heat systems are certainly still available (and it is "radiant," not "radiated").  Do some research before you jump right into whatever the contractor is selling.  There are a lot of advantages to radiant heat systems, not the least of which is that it is ductless and can probably be more easily installed in your home if you don't already have a ducted A/C system.

rated:
Water damage in the home is often covered by homeowners insurance. A leaking roof can cause water damage which is usually covered by homeowners insurance. Asbestos removal should not happen like that. You should look for any faults left, if any to get the more details about leaking. The roof repairs are considered a maintenance issue and therefore the roof itself isn't covered. Get more information regarding the homeowners insurance policy details or get some information from internet or something and then take help from insurance personal to inform him about the same problem.
And for the 2 question its better if you could take a look what's exact problem and how does that happened and then complaint about what contractor has done.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017