• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
There is a new Platinum card announced with a higher fee ($550) and better benefits.
(see http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/02/pf/a...rds/index.html)

They state "The new card launches on March 30, and current Platinum customers can start taking advantage of the added benefits on that date. "

This seems to imply that those that want the card should apply before then,  hope to avoid the higher fee for the first year, and get the greater benefits.

In particular, those who are Schwab customers (especially those with over a $1,000,000 with them and the $200 bonus) may want to get it now, rather than after March 31. With the airline benefit, the net cost can be only $50 per year, and the new Uber benefit, road service, and lounge access may make it worth while. with the points bonus attractive (40,000 poiints converting to $500 statement credit).

" American Expres (AXP)teamed up with Uber to offer up to $200 in rides every year ($15 a month, with a $20 bonus in December) when customers make the card their payment method on the app.

The company also enhanced the card's travel rewards: Customers can earn five points for every $1 they spend on certain hotels booked through Amextravel.com using the card.

The card also has a brand new look and feel: it will be made of metal. "  

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There is a 4 Seasons resort quite close to DFW airport in Las Colinas that runs regular shuttles to the airport.  4 Seas... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Mar. 09, 2017 @ 11:44a) |

It appears that in addition to charging you more, they are also going to cut access to the Centurion lounges for familie... (more)

kevpriest (Mar. 09, 2017 @ 12:22p) |

Hmm. That and a $75 dinner would max out the $500 cap quite nicely. Who wants to go first?

TravelerMSY (Mar. 09, 2017 @ 1:58p) |

Current Platinum card-members are eligible for these updated perks:The following Consumer Platinum Cards are eligible for the new benefits:  

• The Platinum Card® from American Express
  • The Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise
  • The Platinum Card® from American Express for Charles Schwab
  • The Platinum Card® from American Express for Goldman Sachs
  • The Platinum Card® from American Express for Mercedes-Benz
  • The Platinum Card® from American Express for Morgan Stanley

As for increase in annual fee, for current card-members -- "Beginning on March 30, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1, 2017."

Platinum Card Members will receive $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides every month plus a $20 bonus in December, delivered through an exclusive Uber app experience. That’s up to $200 for Uber annually. Platinum Card Members will also become Uber VIPs, where available, without meeting minimum ride requirements and be matched with top-rated drivers, so that even a 5-minute trip can be a 5-star experience. To receive the benefit, Platinum Card Members must add an eligible Platinum Card as a payment method on an Uber account. Starting March 30th, 2017, $15 in Uber credits will be added to that Uber account each month with a bonus $20 in Uber credits in December. Uber will apply the discount at the end of ride, and it will be reflected on ride receipt.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
What is UBER VIP? never even heard of it.  Also, the reimbursement will be capped at $15 a month, so its going to be hard to use all the $200 benefit before renewal hits for me in a few months :/

For those who are into this kind of thing:
"The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card. "

rated:
dpid said:   What is UBER VIP? never even heard of it.  
  https://newsroom.uber.com/us-tennessee/introducing-uber-vip-premium-rewards-for-top-riders/ 

This is regarding Tennessee, but I am assuming it is similar in other states.

rated:
The new metal Card can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card.

rated:
I already had every intent of cancelling my AMEX at renewal and this isn't changing my mind at all. Increasing the features was needed because they had crap left for lounge options with AA leaving, they didn't make their own new clubs for the fun of it. Bumping their rate that much pretty much makes it a dead horse. It was already overpriced at the old rate and I don't use Uber all that much.

It is obvious they are losing a lot of business to Sapphire (including me.) Who thinks Lyft isn't already pitching similar offers to Chase?

rated:
UberVIP is basically just what you get if you use it a couple dozen times in a city. In theory, it's supposed to pair you with the top-rated drivers. In reality, I don't see much difference.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   UberVIP is basically just what you get if you use it a couple dozen times in a city. In theory, it's supposed to pair you with the top-rated drivers. In reality, I don't see much difference.
  they should do what airlines do and offer you free upgrades to uberblack

rated:
New enhancements is really window dressing. UberVIP is just gimmick. If anything you now have to wait longer for a higher rated driver.

rated:
Never knew there were so many different flavors of Amex platinum cards- time to get some more bonus points.

rated:
delete

rated:
I like having the amex but it seems more and more the sapphire reserve is better

rated:
It really hinges on your travel patterns and whether you can use the Amex lounges or Delta.

rated:
amex said: Current Platinum card-members are eligible for these updated perks:The following Consumer Platinum Cards are eligible for the new benefits:

The Platinum Card® from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Charles Schwab
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Goldman Sachs
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Mercedes-Benz
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Morgan Stanley

That's a no for Business cards.

rated:
I applied for the platinum a month ago for the 50k points offer after spending 5k. In my opinion it seems that it is overpriced but the good news are that actually it costs 250 because of the reimbursement of the delta gift cards. With a 550 Fee I do not know what will do next year. I do not really use the uber monthly. The fact that customers will be able to add for free golden members will not hurt. The TSA thing is good too, but it is only once per 5 years. However I have a hunch that people may go for that card because it is pricier that the chase reserve. We will see

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   
amex said: Current Platinum card-members are eligible for these updated perks:The following Consumer Platinum Cards are eligible for the new benefits:

Who knows, maybe you'll still get the "perk" of getting a metal card

rated:
marginoferror said:   TravelerMSY said:   

Who knows, maybe you'll still get the "perk" of getting a metal card

Probably! Which makes the wallet a bit heavier. .

rated:
If you add your Platinum card number to a family member's Uber account, their Uber use might result in a credit to your AMEX account.

rated:
ryeny3 said:   If you add your Platinum card number to a family member's Uber account, their Uber use might result in a credit to your AMEX account.
  Discount is applied by Uber before card is charged.

rated:
Sorry, but I'm still going to cancel Amex Plat. over Chase Reserve...such a better card IMO

rated:
I basically never use Amex Plat for purchases. Essentially, I end up paying $250/year ($450 less the $200 in Delta gift cards) for Delta lounge access, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, and the occasional use of the concierge.

Looking at these changes, it's a net positive for me, since the $200 in Uber credits will more than offset the extra $100 in annual fees. Plus the free Gold card, which is nice, I guess.

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   I basically never use Amex Plat for purchases. Essentially, I end up paying $250/year ($450 less the $200 in Delta gift cards) for Delta lounge access, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, and the occasional use of the concierge.

Looking at these changes, it's a net positive for me, since the $200 in Uber credits will more than offset the extra $100 in annual fees. Plus the free Gold card, which is nice, I guess.

well said..

rated:
I just received an email for my existing platinum card:

Thank you for being an American Express Card Member since 20xx. It is my pleasure to share with you some exciting news about upcoming enhancements to your Platinum Card®.

Since we launched the Platinum Card over 30 years ago, we've been on a mission to be the Card that provides unprecedented access to exclusive experiences, rich travel rewards and best-in-class service. Today we're announcing the expansion of those benefits, providing you with more ways to experience the unparalleled service of Platinum, whether you're at home or traveling abroad.

Beginning March 30th, enjoy the following new benefits added to your Card:
• Uber Rides with Platinum. With your Platinum Card, you'll receive $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides every month plus a $20 bonus in December, delivered through an exclusive Uber app experience. That's up to $200 for Uber rides annually.

You'll also become an Uber VIP, where available, without meeting minimum ride requirements and be matched with top-rated drivers, so that even a 5-minute trip can be a 5-star experience.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points for prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com. That's in addition to the recently unveiled 5X points for flights when you book directly with airlines or American Express Travel.
• An expansion of our Global Lounge Collection which unlocks access to more than 1,000 airport lounges across 120 countries and counting, including future Centurion Lounge locations in Hong Kong and Philadelphia opening later this year. Our unmatched worldwide coverage, featuring over 90 domestic lounges, is made possible through our own network, including The Centurion® Lounge and The International American Express lounges, as well as our partner networks, including Delta Sky Club® and Priority PassTM Select lounges. And beginning on March 30th, find a lounge on the go with your Amex® Mobile app by visiting the Membership section of your app and selecting Find a Lounge.
• Complimentary Additional Gold Cards. You will be able to add Additional Gold Cards on your Platinum Card Account for no annual fee and existing Additional Gold Cards will also have no annual fee. You can earn Membership Rewards points on your Additional Card Member's purchases the same way you do for yours.
Additionally, you will continue to receive all of the benefits you already enjoy with your Platinum Card, including up to $200 Airline Fee Credit for incidental fees like baggage on your selected airline each year, FINE HOTELS & RESORTS with valuable benefits like complimentary daily breakfast for two and guaranteed 4PM late checkout offering an average total value of $550; No Foreign Transaction Fees from American Express; and one Global Entry ($100) statement credit or one TSA Pre✓TM ($85) statement credit every 4 years for an application fee charged to your Platinum Card. You can always check out americanexpress.com/platinum for all of the details on your Card benefits.

You can begin enjoying your new Platinum Card benefits on March 30th, 2017. The Platinum Card will have a new annual fee of $550 and your annual fee will not change until your annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Wherever you go, you will continue to be backed by the service and security of American Express. And on March 30th, we will be making updates to the Amex® Mobile app to enhance the Platinum servicing experience even further. Be on the lookout for more information on all your new benefits in the coming weeks.

Thank you for your Card Membership.

rated:
seawolf21 said:   ryeny3 said:   If you add your Platinum card number to a family member's Uber account, their Uber use might result in a credit to your AMEX account.

That would suck if true. Good luck trying to get reimbursed on an expense report for a portion of the fare that was never charged to you. But yet it eats up your $200 yearly allotment

rated:
TJtv said:   
seawolf21 said:   
ryeny3 said:   If you add your Platinum card number to a family member's Uber account, their Uber use might result in a credit to your AMEX account.

That would suck if true. Good luck trying to get reimbursed on an expense report for a portion of the fare that was never charged to you. But yet it eats up your $200 yearly allotment

Uber lets you set a business profile, so that might be a way to avoid this...

rated:
TJtv said:   
seawolf21 said:   

Use a different card for those?  You can have more than one card linked.
TravellerMSY said: It really hinges on your travel patterns and whether you can use the Amex lounges or Delta.

Even living in a town with a Centurion Lounge I find it hard to justify.  

---
Does anyone else find it ironic that their primary new offer for their mainstream premium card is a discount at one of the already cheapest alt-taxi/towncar alternative?  Based on the magazine I get every month they should be offering Limo service instead.  

rated:
A word of warning: Don't even think about MSing for this or any Amex card. They will not only claw back the bonus points on this card but also any previous bonus.
One person ended up having negative balance of 200K on their account.

rated:
would the uber benefit be counted for march if I used uber on 3/31?

rated:
anyone know if the Biz Plat card is also impacted?

rated:
AMEX Terms and Conditions:

"Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit."

rated:
gyagya said:   anyone know if the Biz Plat card is also impacted?
  It wasn't listed as one of the cards eligible for the new benefits. Biz does get stuff that personal cards do not

rated:
TJtv said:   seawolf21 said:   ryeny3 said:   If you add your Platinum card number to a family member's Uber account, their Uber use might result in a credit to your AMEX account.

kvs25 said:   would the uber benefit be counted for march if I used uber on 3/31?

It's answered in FAQ linked in post# 2.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   
gyagya said:   anyone know if the Biz Plat card is also impacted?
  It wasn't listed as one of the cards eligible for the new benefits. Biz does get stuff that personal cards do not

And both get stuff that corp does not

rated:
Any sign-up bonuses out there for this one? Been flying Delta a lot recently and the lounge access could be helpful where I fly.

rated:
Is there a breakdown that details which new benefits apply to the account and which apply to additional card holders? I know the Morgan Stanley card gets you one additional card for free, and the TSA benefit applies to each card, while the $200 travel benefit applies to the account.

rated:
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is really the better choice here because it's more of a $150 annual fee with their very broad travel category credit of $300 which is easily used or even less depending upon how you value the other benefits. I dumped AMEX a long time a go and haven't missed it. This is further proof that AMEX just doesn't really get it and they are losing more customers thus increasing the fee with inferior new "benefits".

rated:
LOOPHOLE said:   The Chase Sapphire Reserve is really the better choice here because it's more of a $150 annual fee with their very broad travel category credit of $300 which is easily used or even less depending upon how you value the other benefits. I dumped AMEX a long time a go and haven't missed it. This is further proof that AMEX just doesn't really get it and they are losing more customers thus increasing the fee with inferior new "benefits".

Mine renews in October, right after the rate goes up -- so it is done.  Just need to remember to cancel it before then so I don't have to deal with them over the fee again.

rated:
LOOPHOLE said:   The Chase Sapphire Reserve is really the better choice here because it's more of a $150 annual fee with their very broad travel category credit of $300 which is easily used or even less depending upon how you value the other benefits. 
  It really depends on your spend profile. If you travel a lot then, AmPlat 5x on airfare, delta lounge, SPG/Hilton status is great. If you don't , then Sapphire Reserve is probably better. I was pleasantly surprised when my new sapphire reserve gave me $300 credit on a hotel room!

Problem with amex MR points though is 1) 2 statement posting time 2) non-immediate transfer. 

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
LOOPHOLE said:   The Chase Sapphire Reserve is really the better choice here because it's more of a $150 annual fee with their very broad travel category credit of $300 which is easily used or even less depending upon how you value the other benefits. 
  It really depends on your spend profile. If you travela lot then, AmPlat 5x on airfare, delta lounge, SPG/Hilton status is great. If you don't , then Sapphire Reserve is probably better. I was pleasantly surprised when my new sapphire reserve gave me $300 credit on a hotel room!

Problem with amex MR points though is 1) 2 statement posting time 2) non-immediate transfer. 

Why surprised?  Chase clearly laid out what their travel category covers.  Hotel, airfare, rental cars, parking/commuter expenses.

Skipping 29 Messages...
rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   
TravelerMSY said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
Bend3r said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   It is a pretty good bet that "reasonable" means GSA rate. Steak dinner at Fridays might make it, but Del Frisco and you are going to find out where it stops.
  Reasonable specifically defines including food and hotel.   No motel 8, IHOP, and black market only prescriptions restriction.  IMO, the only part where reasonable is not defined is the "but not limited to" part.

Again, check in at the 4 Seasons and have a Surf and Turf..  let me know how far that gets reimbursed.  

I'll give that a shot as soon as the four season starts building airport hotels. I'll bet you could run up a pretty big room service tab at a grand Hyatt though.  You're right to be cautious though as there's some chance that the wishy-washy travel insurer will deny the claim and you end up eating it.

There is a 4 Seasons resort quite close to DFW airport in Las Colinas that runs regular shuttles to the airport.  4 Seasons   $425/night  

Hmm. That and a $75 dinner would max out the $500 cap quite nicely. Who wants to go first?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017