• filter:

My dad served in the Airforce --USAA

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My dad served in the Airforce and is a veteran, unfortunately he passed away but shouldn't I be able to get an USAA account? He didn't know about it and I'm sure if he did he would of signed up for it. I have his paperwork stating he was in service.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Have you looked up USAA's membership requirements, or perhaps called USAA to ask?

rated:
I believe the short answer is no. Your dad would have had to have joined USAA before his death for you to now apply for membership.
--------------------------------------

Who We Serve 

Active Military
Individuals who are currently serving in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Navy.

Former Military
Those who have retired or separated from the U.S. military with a discharge type of Honorable.

Family
Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined USAA prior to or during the marriage and individuals whose parents joined USAA. 

Cadets and Midshipmen
Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.

rated:
I'm in a similar situation. My stepdad passed (veteran for years + recent service related death) and we tried to get my mom an account but she was denied.  We were told it was too late.

rated:
AMICA is also top rated, and probably better given USAA's recent less than stellar experiences per some posters.

rated:
only if he signed up for it before he died.
both my GFILs were active military, neither signed up for USAA before they died, if they had MIL and FIL would be eligible to be members.
I'm a member because my dad was active military. I tried calling to get my MIL/FIL added as full members and it was not allowed (they would only be eligible for full members if their parents were also full members).

rated:
Having worked in the insurance industry (not USAA) for over 20 years, I will tell you that USAA is constantly in the top 5 in terms of customer service rankings. Another company may be on top this year, but where were they years ago and where will they be in a few years? I can't answer that, but I am confident to say that USAA will most likely still be near the top.

rated:
Yeah, I got my dad to sign up before for a 1 year personal property policy or something that was cheap and I offered to pay for. Now my brothers and I can join USAA any time. So if you have an older relative, offer to help them get signed up and pay the 1 year smallest policy they have. I just called USAA and told them and they told me the best plan to get which was the cheapest.

rated:
Thank you all this was great information... I called and USAA tried everything they could but couldn't help me (great customer service).... I just found out my uncle said he will do it for me since he did help me out and care for me when I was younger

rated:
JRedleg said:   Having worked in the insurance industry (not USAA ) for over 20 years, I will tell you that USAA is constantly in the top 5 in terms of customer service rankings. Another company may be on top this year, but where were they years ago and where will they be in a few years? I can't answer that, but I am confident to say that USAA will most likely still be near the top.
  AMICA and USAA trade the #1 spot.

rated:
iww2 said:   Thank you all this was great information... I called and USAA tried everything they could but couldn't help me (great customer service).... I just found out my uncle said he will do it for me since he did help me out and care for me when I was younger
  I'm not sure this will help you.

rated:
It was in 2013 when USAA discontinued their open-to-anyone limited membership. I joined about a month before they stopped it. I have a checking, savings and credit card with them. There has been some posts from people who joined as a limited member not being able to open a credit card if they don't already have one.

You're not missing much if you missed the boat. Maybe in the future they'll open up membership again. Try joining Navy Federal instead. Joining the Navy League of San Diego is still an eligibility method.

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   
JRedleg said:   Having worked in the insurance industry (not USAA ) for over 20 years, I will tell you that USAA is constantly in the top 5 in terms of customer service rankings. Another company may be on top this year, but where were they years ago and where will they be in a few years? I can't answer that, but I am confident to say that USAA will most likely still be near the top.
  AMICA and USAA trade the #1 spot.

AMICA rates comparable?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017