what to do with $200k for two years

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I need advice from you wise folks folks here. I'm 34 years old, have $200k cash sitting in the bank and don't know how to make my money grow. I Want to invest it somewhere for two years while waiting for real estate market to be more affordable before I jup in for rental property. Also need to lock the money somewhere so I won't end up spending it on stupid stuff. What should I do?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

H&B, crown vics, black @ vegas, AAPL stock

If you really plan to use it all on real estate in 2 years, then 1% money market/savings account or CDs is your only option.

I wouldn't rely on broad market timing to get into real estate investing. Pretty hard to pick anything that will reliably outperform your Target RE market in a relatively short time like that. If you're confident you'll want to get into rental property, are you sure you can't find a viable entry point straight away?

How do you know the RE market will be more affordable in 2 years? If you are that positive then dump it all in a short REIT ETF and get double bang for your buck.

My crystal ball is a little flaky. If I NEED to money to be there in 2 years, ~1.5% 2 year CD. If I would like it to be there in 2 years but could also consider it retirement money (ie long term), then go stocks/bonds with a split you feel comfortable with. 

a 2-year CD

kalaniet said:   I need advice from you wise folks folks here. I'm 34 years old, have $200k cash sitting in the bank and don't know how to make my money grow. I Want to invest it somewhere for two years while waiting for real estate market to be more affordable before I jup in for rental property. Also need to lock the money somewhere so I won't end up spending it on stupid stuff. What should I do?

LOL.....you have predictive powers, huh? If so, you should have no problem finding a perfect investment.

seed money for MS activities. would be able to scale so many deals with that

Freakazoid said:   If I NEED to money to be there in 2 years, ~1.5% 2 year CD.
  Or consider the 7 year CD at Andrews FCU with 3% yield right now.  6 months early withdrawal penalty, so you still come out ahead over a 2 year CD.

What if the real estate market goes up another 10% in next 2 years, are you going to wait another 2 years? If the rental property you like is worth $100k today, $110k in 2019, then $100k in 2021, when will you invest it?  For rental property, the cash flow is the key,  If it is negative cash flow, forget that market.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017