• filter:

Contribution to Trad IRA

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
I had a question regarding the Rollover/Traditional IRA account. Both me and my wife have a 401k through our work (both work for publicly traded companies) for which we make contributions (every paycheck). Can we contribute to the Traditional IRA account (5.5k/year) instead of the Roth IRA and claim tax deductions? The rule says, we can claim if we dont have a retirement plan at work.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.


also check out the link for MAGI in that reference

Anyone can contribute to a Traditional IRA regardless of income.  Whether or not you can deduct your contribution depends on a couple of things:  1) Your MAGI - for 2016, married filing jointly, your AGI has to be < 98,000 to claim a full deduction.  If you income is above this amount, you can make the contribution, but it will be non-deductible.  2) Whether or not you are covered by a retirement plan - if you are both not covered by a plan, you can each contribute & deduct the contribution...regardless of MAGI.

You are both covered by a plan, so the deduction comes down to how much you earn (MAGI).

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017