• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This is for California peep.
Just got my renewal and saw a big increase of 34% over last year. Also, Wawanesa change from a 1 year policy to 6 months policy renewal. 

No accidents,tickets or claims of any kind in 10 years.

Anyone that has Wawanesa found a cheaper insurance when comparing apples to apples(no bad marks or insurance claims and same coverage)?

Sidenote: Anyone know of 1 year policy renewal insurance company?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I am comparing between State Farms vs Triple A. Any suggestion?

insuranceking (Mar. 18, 2017 @ 3:01p) |

The membership  AAA seems a bit high. 69 dollars! Is this an annual fee? Any discount?

insuranceking (Mar. 18, 2017 @ 8:48p) |

It's $49/yr plus $20 "new member admission fee". It's right on the website...

The only discount I know was when it's time... (more)

scripta (Mar. 19, 2017 @ 12:23a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
AAA still offers one year I believe, but Wawanesa USA is doing a terrible job in managing risk (past five years). I think the super preferred are fleeing and are tired of their old school methods. The only reason they went to six months is to raise rates more often.

Try all of the majors like Geico, Liberty Mutual, etc. If you really are a low risk, I suspect Geico, AAA and others will have a similar rate.

Remember, car insurance margins are pretty low if you can manage your discounts well.

Rasheed

rated:
Where did most of the super preferred went to(no accidents/tickets/claims) for auto insurance?

I hear that Liberty Mutual offers dividends back to insurance holder...does this apply to California?

rated:
I'm in CA too and Wawanesa used to be cheapest by a mile (switched from Mercury to them), but eventually their increases made them uncompetitive. My home insurance (Tower) kept increasing by $100 a year too (with no claims), so I switch to AAA for home and auto the past 2 years. Saved $300 a year on home and $400 a year on auto. They have a dividend back on auto which was around $130ish this past year. And yes, AAA does 1 year policies.

On a side note, I read somewhere that some insurance companies are pulling people in with low "teaser" type rates and then steadily increasing them assuming people will be too lazy to shop around. I definitely experienced it with Tower home insurance, as I started at $800 a year and was up to $1300 when I finally switched. I even increased my deductible during that time.

rated:
My rates with Wawanesa literally doubled. One customer representative was especially rude when I called and asked why my rates had changed. I am in California and have been a Wawanesa customer for over 10 years.

rated:
I have a perfect (knock on wood) driving record for 20 years. No tickets, no accidents, no claims.

When I moved back to CA I kept Geico (cheapest I found in NV) for my first term because I didn't have time to shop and the rate seemed reasonable. When I finally got around to shopping it last year, I checked with all the big ones (AAA, Liberty Mutual, Wawanesa, etc). Wawanesa was quite a bit higher and had just switched to 6 month terms instead of 1 year policies. Luckily I found that Geico was actually the cheapest of all the major insurers. For reference, my coverage is 100/300/100, 4 year old sedan (~$20k brand new).

rated:
Last summer Wawanesa added a multi-product discount to their homeowner policy, so I saved about 50% on my HO-3 by switching to them. Then my auto rates went up about 16%, but the combined home+auto is still unbeatable.

rated:
My Wawanesa rate jumped by about 15% but last year they were literally half of what Geico wanted to charge, so I still haven't found a cheaper insurer.

rated:
Just 15%? That low increase.
Are you sure it over 1 year or 6 months?

Have you tried Triple AAA?

rated:
AAA is the one I have heard was ok for a 1 year policy.

rated:
My rate with Wawanesa shot up two years ago. I was shocked as I ran a quote for Geico and saw an immediate savings, when they used to be much higher. I'm disappointed as they are a small shop and price was the biggest reason why I stayed with them. I can no longer recommend them, unfortunately, if they can't keep up the other insurers. I remember when you had to call in and send in a bunch of docs to get their insurance. It's slightly easier now, but nowhere near what Geico and other insurers offer IMO.

rated:
mrgamers said:   Just 15%? That low increase.

So Triple Triple A? I haven't heard of them.

rated:
Check out Costco (Ameriprise). Six month policies though.

rated:
I'm in the same boat. Have been with Wawanesa in California for around 15 years straight and recently received my renewal notice. I was also surprised and disappointed to see the 6 month only option as I enjoyed paying in full for a year so that I didn't have to worry about car insurance for a year. Regardless that I have a spotless record, no tickets or accidents in over 15 years and have been driving the same boring car, I've noticed the rates creep up yearly over the past 5 years. What I'm really disappointed about is their decision to cancel the roadside assistance option for cars that are over 14 years old. My car is now 15 years old and they won't allow me to add that coverage. After 15 years, it's time for me to start insurance shopping again. Don't know if I'll keep Wawanesa, but it seems like this company is about to start loosing many longtime, low risk and faithful customers; that can't be a good impact for future rate increases or when I might actually need to make a claim.

rated:
we have separate policy, wife got switched to 6 month but didn't get an increase, mine has been stable throughout the years, last time checked for brother in law wawan was the lowest with ameriprise but AM has much worse reviews on yelp so he went with wawan

rated:
have not been renewed yet, I went up about 6 percent last year. Still are not bad. Had an accident and totaled a newer mini-van. They were great. They called and offered me a payout. When I said, that would just cover the loan (not really bad amount and I was just glad to be alive. The adjuster, said, lets add 4 thousand. So, there is a lot of goodwill there for me. I will see when I renew this summer

rated:
mrgamers said:   Just 15%? That low increase.

Yes it is correct.  $1700 for a year vs $1000 for 6 months.
AAA is not quite triple that but close.

rated:
Is this car insurance OP is talking about? We had another thread here about State Farm, where they raised my rate  in 2 years from $385, $439, $451, and finally $533 in 6 months increment.

A recent news story attribute all these to smart phone use.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Is this car insurance OP is talking about? We had another thread here about State Farm, where they raised my rate  in 2 years from $385, $439, $451, and finally $533 in 6 months increment.

Yeah my Wawanesa home insurance is still on 1-year billing, only auto changed to 6 months.

rated:
Does anyone know of a good insurance comparison site or do most people just call each insurance company?

rated:
For California, https://interactive.web.insurance.ca.gov/apex_extprd/f?p=111:10

This site does not properly show discounts, so it only gives you a general basis.

Rasheed

rated:
My Wawanesa rates nearly doubled out of the blue about five years ago. No explanation. I actually forgot this company existed.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Is this car insurance OP is talking about? We had another thread here about State Farm, where they raised my rate  in 2 years from $385, $439, $451, and finally $533 in 6 months increment.

I had Mercury double my rates about two years ago.  But I totally deserved it though.

rated:
I believe Liberty Mutual does 12 month policies, but they weren't competitive for me. I was with Allstate years ago, but switched to USAA and haven't looked back.

rated:
@Crazytree...
Recently, have you tried getting a new quote from Wawanesa?
So far Gieco seems to be the cheapest....

rated:
insuranceking said:   @Crazytree...

I teach part time so I am going to try and go with Horace Mann when I can.  But that being said... I am an "assigned risk" for the next 18 months.  Yeah, I screwed up. 

rated:
Crazytree said:   
insuranceking said:   @Crazytree...

I teach part time so I am going to try and go with Horace Mann when I can.  But that being said... I am an "assigned risk" for the next 18 months.  Yeah, I screwed up. 

I am not sure, but is  Horace Mann a mutual insurance company? If so, maybe it cheaper with dividend payback? Will check it out.

rated:
UPDATE:
Just got a quote from Gieco and Triple AAA. When comparing same coverage.

Gieco is about 88 dollars per months and Triple A is about 100 dollars per month.

Tell me if my logic is correct:

Last year dividend is 179 dollars for Triple A per year. So $179/12 is about $14.91.   That would bring Triple A down to 85 dollars per month (assuming similar dividend).

rated:
There's a 8% Geico discount for stockholders. Even B shares should count.

rated:
Never had Esurance, but it is offering a really low quote... of 74 dollars per months! Any advice on this?

rated:
insuranceking said:   Never had Esurance, but it is offering a really low quote... of 74 dollars per months! Any advice on this?
  I had esurance for a couple years - never had any issues, but I also never needed anything from them.  I never had to make a claim (knock on wood).

They are owned by Allstate, if that makes a difference one way or another to you.

One thing to be aware of - some insurance companies have a sneaky discount on the initial policy signing, but does not carry to renewals - meaning your rate would spike on the renewal.  I think esurance did this to me if i remember correctly.  It was an "early shopper" discount, or pay via paypal discount or similar that was not available upon renewal.  Just something to be aware of when comparing price vs convenience.

rated:
Well, AAA is offering a 12 month term I believe, but you also need to have membership (if you don't already).

I agree with others that I suspect esurance is putting a bit of marketing dollars into the quote, but it might not be available on renewal. Or, they could really be trying to lower the price of insurance via its lower cost model.

Rasheed

rated:
I am comparing between State Farms vs Triple A. Any suggestion?

rated:
rasheedb said:   Well, AAA is offering a 12 month term I believe, but you also need to have membership (if you don't already).

I agree with others that I suspect esurance is putting a bit of marketing dollars into the quote, but it might not be available on renewal. Or, they could really be trying to lower the price of insurance via its lower cost model.

Rasheed

The membership  AAA seems a bit high. 69 dollars! Is this an annual fee? Any discount?

rated:
It's $49/yr plus $20 "new member admission fee". It's right on the website...

The only discount I know was when it's time to renew you could add a credit card and sign up for the annual automatic payment. Once you've paid for the renewal, you could cancel the automatic billing and remove the card and repeat the same next year. Done it a few times, don't know if it still works this way. Don't remember how much it was, like $4 or $5.

The membership itself gives discounts. I've used them in the past for hotels and restaurants, but I've upgraded to airbnb and better restaurants since then

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017