• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I signed up for property insurance  but changed my mind so decided not to get  real estate property insurance from this company, so did not pay for it.The was suppose to start in
November 1 .2016 They sent   me a   cancelation notice.in December saying if I did not pay by Dec 15th of 2016 they would cancel policy. I did not pay for it. In January 6, 2017  I found my property management  company payed for the insurance bill sent to them by this company. Does my nonpayment the of the bill of  in December mean I did not want to start this policy.   My insurance agent wants me to sign cancellation  notice but there is a clause that says I can not not sue  them. They told me I will lose 25%  which is the  exact amount I payed them. What can I do? Can I report to the Department of insurance?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Your agent paid the bill.

rated:
My property management company paid for the bill in January 2017.

rated:
Did you have more than one policy in effect at a time?

rated:
I started another policy at the same time and decided not to start this one.

rated:
zawsx said:   I started another policy at the same time and decided not to start this one.
  Did you explain this to the original carrier and provide proof of insurance?

rated:
not yet. the insurance agent did ask me for it.

rated:
The insurer is not to blame here so get that lame idea of reporting them out of your brain.

You left yourself open to this situation by not canceling the policy. You have 3 options:

1. Accept fault and take the 25% hit
2. Negotiate your way out of the cancel fee
3. Take it up with your property management company

I don't see 2 as a likely outcome. Did the property management company act within their powers? We can't answer that question.

rated:
I thought if you did not pay by cancalation date that they would cancal it.  

rated:
Making the payment and canceling the plan are separate. You can fail to make a payment but still be responsible for the debt

rated:
but the cancalation notice said it would cancel my policy by that date if I did not pay.

rated:
It also typically says if you pay after the final date in the cancellation notice they can choose to reinstate your policy at their option.

rated:
OP why are you debating each person who responds? We have no say in the matter.

Your options have been laid out clearly. Since you are so convinced you've been wronged here, what does your policy say about non-payment, policy cancellation, and any potential grace period related to late payments? Until you can answer those questions, there is really no point in anyone discussing this further.

rated:
zawsx said:   I thought if you did not pay by cancalation date that they would cancal it.  
Worst plan ever.  You cancel a policy by calling and telling them that you wish to cancel.  They may then also require a written confirmation.  Just letting it lapse by not making payment is not a good idea. 

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
zawsx said:   I thought if you did not pay by cancalation date that they would cancal it.  
Worst plan ever.  You cancel a policy by calling and telling them that you wish to cancel.  They may then also require a written confirmation.  Just letting it lapse by not making payment is not a good idea. 

Right. I don't know what real estate property insurance is, but if it's similar to (or the same as) homeowner's insurance, you often have to disclose on applications whether you've ever had a policy cancelled for non-payment. I don't know what the effect of answering yes to that question is, but it can't be good.

rated:
There is no grace period. They just won't start insurance policy.It just said it will cancel policy by this dateif I don't pay.

rated:
zawsx said:   but the cancalation notice said it would cancel my policy by that date if I did not pay.
  I don't know if this applies here as insurance is heavily regulated and there is probably statutory or regulatory authority and it obviously depends on the specifics of the policy, but in general, when a provision to a contract is meant to protect one party, that party can choose to waive that protection.

rated:
zaqotron said:   There is no grace period. They just won't start insurance policy.It just said it will cancel policy by this dateif I don't pay.
  Why do you have so many accounts?

rated:
marginoferror said:   zaqotron said:   There is no grace period. They just won't start insurance policy.It just said it will cancel policy by this dateif I don't pay.
  Why do you have so many accounts?

He didn't pay so he thought the extra ones would be cancelled. They were not...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017