• filter:

Rear ended by a semi.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Recently got rear ended by a semi in a accident where I'm lucky I came out with my life. My car ended up totaled.

Does anyone have any knowledge in any kind of settlement I could potientaly receive ?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
OP actually delivers! So as others have mentioned, I think you'll need to speak w/ a lawyer to really know anything.

In t... (more)

Czechmeout (Mar. 08, 2017 @ 3:51p) |

Get a lawyer and let them get the money for you.

smokeycatrules (Mar. 08, 2017 @ 4:44p) |

I'd given her the whole thing.  

LAwoodtiger (Mar. 08, 2017 @ 10:47p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Congrats on having escaped with your life!  I hope you are OK and able to go forward with no overhanging impact to your health.

For sure this is one I would place before various personal injury law firms in effort to see which offers you best deal overall.  "Best deal" in this instance means the right (for you) combination of lawyerly skills track record and lowest settlement take percentage.  You will probably need to speak with several firms in order to obtain some idea of how the game is played, and then take some time to decide which is the best direction for you to go.

rated:
it is just an auto accident? they don't award you more money for getting rammed by a semi

rated:
dawhim said:   it is just an auto accident? they don't award you more money for getting rammed by a semi
  But the companies that own semis usually have more insurance. So the payout could be higher.

rated:
I suspect they will pay for your car. Glad you aren't injured!

rated:
bbr said:   
dawhim said:   it is just an auto accident? they don't award you more money for getting rammed by a semi
  But the companies that own semis usually have more insurance. So the payout could be higher.

Or self-insure.  The point is that a company that manages a fleet of vehicles has this happen more than you might think.  They probably have a department that handles these matters routinely.  If there are any injuries at all, get legal representation.  If you aren't dealing with injuries, you are probably just looking at a replacement vehicle with something thrown in for loss of use and a little extra for your troubles.  Don't get greedy.  

rated:
It depends on what state you are in, partly because of no-fault laws. It also depends on how badly you were injured.

rated:
OH BOY OH BOY I GOT HIT BY A SEMI.. PAYDAY WHAAAAAAAT

I expect you'll get your car fixed, I expect you'll get your medical covered and if you're smart go after some diminished value which is covered pretty extensively in the thread i went ahead and linked for you. You haven't stated your injuries so hopefully there are none. Give it a few days and re-evaluate that though, some pains wait a few days to show, especially soft tissue

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/880666

rated:
I was rear-ended by a semi on an expressway about 14 years ago...like you I came out without a scratch on my body but the brand new car (less than 250 miles) I was renting was totaled.  I was on a company business so my company's travel dept handled the car related stuff with the rental company.  The semi that hit me was a contractor for USPS and semi driver was ticketed.  The cop at the scene told me to make sure to attend the court on the drivers court date as a complaining witness otherwise the ticket is thrown out and then it could get ugly as the driver may try to blame me.  Anyway, I attended the traffic hearing and the semi driver never showed up in the court (twice).  The judge ordered arrest warrant from him and told me not to bother coming to court anymore as he had made the final determination on the citation.

As for the payout, I was counting my lucky stars to be alive so I didn't want to be greedy.  I didn't want to fake injuries and my co-workers were calling me crazy for not making up stuff but I believe in karma.  My company did give me a week off just to rest and get myself together.  14 years later, I feel fine and no long term injuries. 

rated:
cajundavid said:   I suspect they will pay for your car. Glad you aren't injured!

He never said he wasn't injured.  The only info he gave us was that he got hit by a semi and didn't die.

rated:
bbr said:   

They usually self-insure.

rated:
omarjtinoco said:   Recently got rear ended by a semi in a accident where I'm lucky I came out with my life. My car ended up totaled.

Does anyone have any knowledge in any kind of settlement I could potientaly receive ?

Injuries? Missed work? Disabilities?

rated:
wilesmt said:   
cajundavid said:   I suspect they will pay for your car. Glad you aren't injured!

He never said he wasn't injured.  The only info he gave us was that he got hit by a semi and didn't die.

I sure hope he didn't die; otherwise, we'd need to rename the site GhostWallet!

rated:
One thing to bear in mind is that injuries may not be immediately apparent. I was rear ended on the highway and basically felt fine, although a bit shaken up. The car had a few thousand in damages, which I fixed. The guy who hit me actually ended up taking off. I got his license plate but he managed to wrangle an alibi and I had to go through my own insurance.

But, two weeks later, I woke up in the morning and I couldn't sit up in bed because I was in agonizing pain. I went to an orthopedist and did the MRI/catscan thing. My back was spasming like crazy, I missed some work because I could barely move, and I ended up having to go to physical therapy for a while to be functional.

So don't be too quick to sign any releases or assume you are 100%.

rated:
Ma171aC said:   OH BOY OH BOY I GOT HIT BY A SEMI.. PAYDAY WHAAAAAAAT

I expect you'll get your car fixed, I expect you'll get your medical covered and if you're smart go after some diminished value which is covered pretty extensively in the thread i went ahead and linked for you. You haven't stated your injuries so hopefully there are none. Give it a few days and re-evaluate that though, some pains wait a few days to show, especially soft tissue

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/880666

The car was totaled. Diminished value and repairs aren't in the cards.

rated:
omarjtinoco said:   Recently got rear ended by a semi in a accident where I'm lucky I came out with my life. My car ended up totaled.

As with anything else, you can be compensated for your damages, including for pain and suffering. What are your damages?

Your own auto insurance policy may have a benefit allowing you a rental vehicle while your vehicle is being replaced.

rated:
omarjtinoco said:   Recently got rear ended by a semiThat's what she said.

rated:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/XCl9gs8 Here's a picture of the car

No broken bones just a broken tooth but I am going through physical therapy as I am in pain throughout my body.

rated:
a billion

rated:
omarjtinoco said:   http://m.imgur.com/gallery/XCl9gs8 Here's a picture of the car

No broken bones just a broken tooth but I am going through physical therapy as I am in pain throughout my body.

I think you'll need to consult with a local attorney to get competent legal advice specific to your situation.

You'll want to make sure that all your current and potential future medical expenses are taken care of.    

rated:

You didn't give enough details - did you get rear ended because semi was wreckless and didn't stop?  Or did you get rear ended because you cut it off abruptly without giving it enough space to stop?

rated:
omarjtinoco said:   http://m.imgur.com/gallery/XCl9gs8 Here's a picture of the car.
That'll buff right out!

Seriously - you had that "towed" to your driveway?  Why?  Did you think there was any doubt that it would be totaled?  

rated:
omarjtinoco said:   http://m.imgur.com/gallery/XCl9gs8 Here's a picture of the car

Wow, you weren't kidding about being lucky to be alive.

rated:
Next week on FWF: Neighbor has totaled car parked in driveway for weeks. Recourse?

Got to love the various parts just laying everywhere. I get that it was probably just towed and that the OP had better things to do after getting hit, but it's still pretty funny.

rated:
You might want to pixelate your house number

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
omarjtinoco said:   http://m.imgur.com/gallery/XCl9gs8 Here's a picture of the car.
That'll buff right out!

Seriously - you had that "towed" to your driveway?  Why?  Did you think there was any doubt that it would be totaled?  

C'mon, this is FW! I'm sure he could get some money for that spare tire!

rated:

OP actually delivers! So as others have mentioned, I think you'll need to speak w/ a lawyer to really know anything.

In the meantime:

• Religiously document all of your costs/expenses. Don't forget the 'costs' of things that don't directly cost you, like time off
  • If you don't need the money immediately, I would suggest waiting for at least a few months to ensure you've covered your costs. Don't be in a rush to get to court to get money, then find out in 3 months your PT isn't working and you'll need surgery
  • Even if not suing immediately, I would suggest contacting a lawyer to establish a plan. Is there a statute of limitations for you to file your claim? Will the lawyer want specific evidence from your doctors?

rated:
Get a lawyer and let them get the money for you.

rated:
xoneinax said:   
omarjtinoco said:   Recently got rear ended by a semi
That's what she said.

I'd given her the whole thing.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017