Tax question: Filing tax return online / or using some software

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
I would like to know if I am allowed to file up my tax ONLINE using turbos tax or other software. 

  1. I am an Indian national.
  2. I was in USA from 01/2003 till 09/2011. During the later part of my stay, I was being considered “resident” alien for tax purpose.
  3. I was out of USA between 10/2011 to 03/2016. During this time, I did not visit USA or earn any money here.
  4. Now, I am working in USA since 04/2016.

 Would I still be considered a resident alien for tax purpose? Can I use turbo-tax or other tax software? Regards,Dushyant

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting Join for free to remove this ad.

It all depends on your visa situation. If the visa allows you to work in this country (legally), then you would be considered a resident alien. You should be able to use any tax software or file online. I am not a tax pro, so this is not a legal advise. You should also be able to call the IRS toll free number for more information.

Thanks a lot.


If you've been working here since 04/2016 and haven't left for more than ~60 days in the aggregate, you're a resident alien, unless you qualify for an exception-look up the "substantial presence test." Not sure about the ability to use the software, but you should be able to just ask the company before purchasing.

Did you pay a lot of taxes to an outside jurisdiction between 1/2016 to 3/2016?

You should talk to a CPA if you need to pay taxes to IRS on those earnings between Jan and Mar 2016. Most probably not if the amount is less than some threshold (some 90k or so).

Do you get a refund on those taxes from the other jurisdiction? Depends on whichever "financial year" that period falls in and what your tax residency status is back there. Again, depending on amount you perhaps need to talk to a CPA-equivalent there.

In any case - I don't see tax softwares handling the international taxation questions well.

Heck, I had trouble with HR Block yesterday (got it in a good deal) trying to get it to give me credit in CT for NY State taxes I paid!! Frustrated, I flushed down another $80 buying TurboTax which apparently has no trouble with it!

International taxes? Forget it!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to

Thanks for visiting Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017