• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Back in 2015, Anthem was hacked. At the time they offered some credit monitoring stuff. Today I got letters from them because now they're paying for credit freezes for all the children affected. Makes sense, since if someone took my kids' identities and started opening stuff in their name, it'd be a long time before I caught it since my kids are all young. 

However, here's the issue... I have 3 kids. I got 5 letters in the mail. All to our address, but two of them are addressed to KIDS WHO ARE NOT MINE! Not even close on the names. Sooo... guess I get to call Anthem and rip them a new one. Seriously, either someone already is using some of our info (address at least), or they seriously #$%#ed up and can't even send letters about potential identity theft to the right identities!

Anyone else get this? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I have two kids who had Anthem insurance back in 2015. Maybe you got my kid's letters??

rated:
Not likely - the two extras have different last names (and apparent ethnicities). So unless you have a complicated family... they're not yours. At least not both of them

rated:
I don't know what's more shocking, the goof by Anthem or the apparent expectation that an insurance company could handle this correctly.

Maybe it's my nature, but I try not to get worked up over errors like this. Getting super upset doesn't fix the problem nor is the stress healthy. Not exactly serenity now with an eventual and inevitable blowup, but a variant of it suppose. Sweat the stuff that matters.

rated:
donotdrinkPBR said:   I don't know what's more shocking, the goof by Anthem or the apparent expectation that an insurance company could handle this correctly.

Maybe it's my nature, but I try not to get worked up over errors like this. Getting super upset doesn't fix the problem nor is the stress healthy. Not exactly serenity now with an eventual and inevitable blowup, but a variant of it suppose. Sweat the stuff that matters.

Good for you and good advice. I'm getting upset about this even though it doesn't affect me at all!

rated:
I've got 3 kids covered and I only got letters for the oldest and the youngest today. Nothing for the middle child as of yet...

rated:
Heh, no, I have no expectations of them doing it right, other than you'd think that letters going out about a massive screwup would get a little extra scrutiny....

And I'm actually calm, for now. I'll run credit checks on the kids tomorrow when I can dig their SSNs out of the files, and then I'll call Anthem at some point. But I've dealt with enough insurance company incompetence to know that my call will get nowhere until I absolutely rip them a new one. So... in other words, when I call they have one chance with me calm to handle it right, then I quit putting up with their incompetence and tell them to get me someone who can fix it. And if that fails, the next step is probably the "consumer protection" guy on the local news to get someone with enough clout for anthem to possibly pay attention involved. I've got 3 kids, I don't have time to deal with their failings.

rated:
How do you run a credit check on kids.  I tried and it look like you have to be above 18 to check your credit.

rated:
dboy said:   Makes sense, since if someone took my kids' identities and started opening stuff in their name, it'd be a long time before I caught it since my kids are all young.   

How could someone open stuff, like a credit card, in their name? Won't the identity show their age? That they have no credit history? No job?

rated:
I have one child and received two letters.
One with the correct name, and one with the wrong last name.

rated:
Maybe you forgot your flings from yesteryears OP?

rated:
On a more serious note, at what age does a child have a credit file?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   On a more serious note, at what age does a child have a credit file?

Whenever anything is reported against their SS number.  Age only matters in trying to access the file.

Theoretically, the Consumer Reporting Agencies are supposed to be pushing back on entries for minors, but empirical evidence says they just log/report anything regardless of age.

rated:
I am confused because I can't even think why my child is getting this letter. I've never opened anything for him or heard of Anthem and I got the follow up letter today. 

rated:
There are several different sorts of errors being reported in this thread -- letters for unknown people being received at the wrong address, letters not being received for all eligible people at the same address, letters being received for people who have nothing to do with the program...

I know Anthem does have problems, but would they mess it up this badly?
...I'd be cautious on this, and if you do call Anthem or the credit monitoring service to look into matters further, I would call the official phone numbers that you get from going to their legitimate internet websites -- I wouldn't call any numbers or use any email addresses that are provided in the letters themselves.

rated:
An update from me. We finally figured out why my son got a letter and my daughter did not. He had to go to the ER when we were out of town. :/ We are still be cautious. My husband did find the pdf we got in the mail, on the Anthem website.

rated:
mnjenlittle said:   My husband did find the pdf we got in the mail, on the Anthem website.

That is reassuring.
It was a good idea to look there!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017