clearXchange aka cXc aka Zelle (P2P) latest

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just wanted to see how people are handling their P2P these days.

For me, the real-time in your bank account from a sender at a different bank is key. The cXc network is definitely the largest in the US in terms of accessible deposit accounts share. What is interesting to me is that the real-time aspect between banks is negotiated bank to bank. For example, Chase has real-time money availability with only some of the network members.

Recently though, a transfer I expected to be available in real-time showed as standard (1 to 3 business days). I know there is no ACH going on here, so I am thinking what is going on here? If the real-time aspect is either severely degraded or goes away, it will destroy the advantage of the system.

It is hard to figure out what happened since this appears to be a very technical question. However, my current theory is the daily bank to bank (between these two members, BofA and Chase) real-time transfer limit was reached so the transfer defaulted to some slower credit method. That seems so odd, but tells me that the popularity of this system is tremendous and used heavily without a lot of discussion out there. Chase has a real-time side agreement with BofA and US Bank.

If this is indeed the case, I hope Chase and BofA negotiate a much higher limit to solve this problem.

Further, while it appears a number of small banks have joined, PNC and BB&T are late on their implementation. I don't believe PNC has gone live yet and is still doing PopMoney (ACH). Also, Citi has signed with the cXc network and PopMoney announced they will allow its customers to use cXc if they want to (since it is hard to offer both seamlessly).

I think competitors like Venmo/PayPal make the most money when funds stay in the app and don't go back to banks. So, there is definitely a business survival aspect for the banks that they understood, but implemented weakly. Venmo handled 20 billion in funds transferred for 2016.

Rasheed

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

WHAT? I just go to the bathroom.

I just checked clearXchange website and it does not say instant money transfer. It takes 1-2 business days

So why should I bother? What is the difference with ACH?

Because, as the OP said, between many banks it is indeed instant. From Chase to BoA or US Bank, or vice-versa, it is instant (at least in every instance I've used it.)

I use ClearXchange with Capital One and have received about 30 payments over the last few months.  Until last week they had all cleared instantly but last week I had a couple that were 1-3 days.  I don't know which bank they originated from.

Is there a way to use clearXchange to push money into an account that's not mine? Say, if I have a citibank routing number and account number.

bppcomplete said:   Is there a way to use clearXchange to push money into an account that's not mine? Say, if I have a citibank routing number and account number.

It is likely against the Terms of Use policy for cXc. However, the person who has the Citi account can be on the cXc network for completely free receipt of transfers if they sign up their email/mobile at the cXc website directly. At some point, Citi will be directly on the cXc network so that its customers email and mobile numbers are automatically able to send and receive funds.

Zon said:   I use ClearXchange with Capital One and have received about 30 payments over the last few months.  Until last week they had all cleared instantly but last week I had a couple that were 1-3 days.  I don't know which bank they originated from.

This is the problem that happens in our society. Folks with bad intentions find ways to manipulate these systems that cause normal folks to suffer. Unfortunately, I am not sure we will get any explanations from the banks or clearinghouse.

Rasheed

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017