Discover Card Chargeback, Any Recourse

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I purchased items from Express online using my Discover card. I placed two orders, and the orders were sent to me in three boxes total via UPS. I decided to keep only one pair of pants out of all the items I ordered. Per Express I could ship the items back using the prepaid shipping labels. Their only request was that I returned the items in three separate boxes, as that is how they were originally shipped and processed.  I dropped off the items at my local UPS. I took pictures of all three return labels and was on my way. Later I checked my statement and was short a credit of $490. Express claimed that they only received two boxes and processed those returns. I checked the pictures I had taken of the return labels and it turns out two of the labels they had provided me were identical in that they had the same tracking number. I spoke with a UPS rep and was told they they can't track a package that has an identical shipping number, most likely what had happened was that when the driver scanned the package it showed it had already been scanned so the driver would have delivered both packages without noticing one was a duplicate. I explained this to Express and they stated they couldn't do anything as they didn't receive the package. I requested that they should be liable as they provided two shipping labels that were identical and therefor couldn't be tracked.  I asked them to provide me with all three tracking numbers for the return labels to prove that there was a duplicate and they couldn't provide any.  So now I went through the dispute process with Discover. This was the message I received from discover recently in regards to the dispute. Am I wrong for thinking it is the responsibility for Express to provide proper documentation to return a product? I acknowledge that I should have checked the tracking numbers to make sure they weren't duplicates, but I would have never thought I needed to do this in the past.

We have finished our second review of this investigation. Based on information we received from both you and the merchant, the transaction appears to be valid. We sent you a letter via mail or secure message at Discover.com about this investigation which includes a copy of documentation we reviewed. Please review this information and notify us immediately if you wish to continue this dispute. If you have new information we have not considered, we will be happy to continue working on your behalf.

A Chargeback has been issued on your behalf.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How many clothes did you buy? Missing $490, wow, must have been a big order.

Maybe also start buying in store if you return that much?

On a serious note, does Discover have an appeals process? Might be worth a shot. If not, could always try Twitter/Facebook to Express and the CS team for a resolution.

you can appeal, the big issue with discover and amex is that unlike mc and visa there is no 3rd party intermediary so they are the last arbiter. 
you can also contact express again and let them know that you are going to contact the local media about this , write to their corporate office as well.
discover may push express if you contact them again and you can also say if not resolved you will go to small claims court.  they may write it off to avoid the hassle

Your problem is that the issue is with your return, which is separate from the purchase.  You bought $490 worth of clothes, and they sent you the clothes.  Your problem is with a transaction that didn't post, not one that did.  You're probably going to have to go through small claims court, if you can't get an Express supervisor to play ball.

File a claim under lost/stolen items benefit of the credit card. This is not a case of express not getting the items to you - this is a case of items getting lost. Not a chargeback - should be a insurance claim.

gaf2255 said:   I purchased items from Express online using my Discover card. I placed two orders, and the orders were sent to me in three boxes total via UPS. I decided to keep only one pair of pants out of all the items I ordered. Per Express I could ship the items back using the prepaid shipping labels. Their only request was that I returned the items in three separate boxes, as that is how they were originally shipped and processed.  I dropped off the items at my local UPS. I took pictures of all three return labels and was on my way. Later I checked my statement and was short a credit of $490. Express claimed that they only received two boxes and processed those returns. I checked the pictures I had taken of the return labels and it turns out two of the labels they had provided me were identical in that they had the same tracking number. I spoke with a UPS rep and was told they they can't track a package that has an identical shipping number, most likely what had happened was that when the driver scanned the package it showed it had already been scanned so the driver would have delivered both packages without noticing one was a duplicate. I explained this to Express and they stated they couldn't do anything as they didn't receive the package. I requested that they should be liable as they provided two shipping labels that were identical and therefor couldn't be tracked.  I asked them to provide me with all three tracking numbers for the return labels to prove that there was a duplicate and they couldn't provide any.  So now I went through the dispute process with Discover. This was the message I received from discover recently in regards to the dispute. Am I wrong for thinking it is the responsibility for Express to provide proper documentation to return a product? I acknowledge that I should have checked the tracking numbers to make sure they weren't duplicates, but I would have never thought I needed to do this in the past.

We have finished our second review of this investigation. Based on information we received from both you and the merchant, the transaction appears to be valid. We sent you a letter via mail or secure message at Discover.com about this investigation which includes a copy of documentation we reviewed. Please review this information and notify us immediately if you wish to continue this dispute. If you have new information we have not considered, we will be happy to continue working on your behalf.

A Chargeback has been issued on your behalf.

What else do you want, a kiss on your ass? 

Never heard of Express until Googling it and see one store 2 miles away and over a dozen in the DC area. Where you  at? Except for socks and underwear, why would anyone buy clothes through the mail? Even if you know your size, the same size number always fits differently depending on the manufacturer. 

atikovi said:   Never heard of Express until Googling it and see one store 2 miles away and over a dozen in the DC area. Where you  at? Except for socks and underwear, why would anyone buy clothes through the mail? Even if you know your size, the same size number always fits differently depending on the manufacturer. 

Its a teeny-booper mall-rat store that sells to the younger set, from what I recall when my daughter was that age.

I agree, why not go local if size and fit matters?  Buying 500 and sending 490 back is kind of asking for problems, IMO.

atikovi said:   Never heard of Express until Googling it and see one store 2 miles away and over a dozen in the DC area. Where you  at? Except for socks and underwear, why would anyone buy clothes through the mail? Even if you know your size, the same size number always fits differently depending on the manufacturer. 
  Better selection of colors and sizes, and better discounts.

Hmm, I have never dropped off a package without getting a receipt. Especially for something worth $490 I'd want to make sure nobody nicks it before it goes in the system. So, at the original scan to get a receipt, a duplicate label would have been caught.

Not very related, but I ordered a big Belkin UPS, directly from Belkin a few years ago and the Fedex (I think) guy brought two big packages and asked me, with a puzzled look on his face, "sorry, did you expect two boxes?" I told him something like "I'm not sure" and he left it at that. Sure enough, not only they had sent me two identical UPSs, they had also used the same shipping label.

*Update - After finally getting through to a supervisor he looked through the documentation and processed the refund less a 6.99 return fee which I'm not worried about. Makes me wonder what what Discover has been doing for months trying to recover the $490.

Also no a duplicate would not be caught as they have drop offs at UPS and Fedex. When an item is scanned inside the building it is then routed to a truck, if you rescan the original package or a duplicate it still shows as being routed to said truck and not show as a duplicate.

gaf2255 said:   *Update - After finally getting through to a supervisor he looked through the documentation and processed the refund less a 6.99 return fee which I'm not worried about. Makes me wonder what what Discover has been doing for months trying to recover the $490.
  Discover is not your lawyer, they arent "trying to recover" anything for you.  They take your story, and their story, and determine if the charge was valid.  And it was.

Glitch99 said:   gaf2255 said:   *Update - After finally getting through to a supervisor he looked through the documentation and processed the refund less a 6.99 return fee which I'm not worried about. Makes me wonder what what Discover has been doing for months trying to recover the $490.
  Discover is not your lawyer, they arent "trying to recover" anything for you.  They take your story, and their story, and determine if the charge was valid.  And it was.

You're absolutely right and thank you for that. A company shipped a product in which that product was returned as requested so I definitely see where it would be valid for them trying to charge me for products that were returned. I called them again and stated I was wrong and they should recharge me.

Glitch99 said:   Your problem is that the issue is with your return, which is separate from the purchase.  You bought $490 worth of clothes, and they sent you the clothes.  Your problem is with a transaction that didn't post, not one that did.  You're probably going to have to go through small claims court, if you can't get an Express supervisor to play ball.

dumroo said:   File a claim under lost/stolen items benefit of the credit card. This is not a case of express not getting the items to you - this is a case of items getting lost. Not a chargeback - should be a insurance claim.

If OP had shipped them back on their own and the items got lost, I would agree that a chargeback would be inappropriate.

But because OP used the retailer's return process, boxes, labels, and parcel service and OP can reasonably demonstrate that the process was adhered to, it's on the retailer. A chargeback is entirely appropriate.

Glitch99 said:   Your problem is that the issue is with your return, which is separate from the purchase.  You bought $490 worth of clothes, and they sent you the clothes.  Your problem is with a transaction that didn't post, not one that did.  You're probably going to have to go through small claims court, if you can't get an Express supervisor to play ball.
  Credits (and payments) that don't post are under the purview of the credit card dispute process.

1)  If it's something you buy more than once you can know your size in that brand and thus be able to order online.

2)  For some garments and some people the sizes are good enough.  I like jackets a bit loose and thus always wear a large.  I have ordered more than one online and been happy with the result.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017