• filter:

Student Loan Options

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi all,

I've been taking a look at my student loans from law school (graduated in 2006) and debating if its worth looking around at refinancing or just paying down the principal.

Balance Breakdown:
#1 Private $40,508 4.75%
#2 Consolidated $62,284 4.75%
#3 Fed Stafford $2,871 6.8%
#4 Fed Unsub Stafford $4,183 6.8%
#5 Grad Plus $1,846 8.5%

Total Combined Balance: $111,692
Total Monthly Payment: ~ $1100 

Loans 1,2 are paid off in 2039
Loans 3,4,5 are paid off in 2019

Combined income ~ $250k/yr

We have extra money monthly to put towards the principal now that we've paid off about 25k in credit card debt over the past few years (still have a mortgage, car payments and high daycare expenses), but debating if its worth making any moves to save additional interest. We do also have some potential expensive (~$50k) significant home repairs that we may not be able to put off any longer soon. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Pay off #'s 3-5 right now.  Pay extra on 1&2 as you are able.  Don't take on new debt for your home renovations.  

rated:
If you've been making progress towards IBR/PAYE then maybe sit tight, otherwise refinancing isn't a bad idea and then try to pay off much more aggressively to get them paid off and over with. Do you have significant home equity? Maybe refi everything and cash out some money for your renovations if they're absolutely necessary (e.g., structural problems vs. kitchen remodel), but otherwise I probably would put those off for a bit too.  I refinanced all of mine with First Republic last year at 2.95% fixed and have been very happy with them so far. 

rated:
raringvt said:   Pay off #'s 3-5 right now.  Pay extra on 1&2 as you are able.  Don't take on new debt for your home renovations.  
  Second this. With your income 3-5 should be gone next month. You can research trying to refi the rest. You might be able to drop the rate a bit, but don't wait too long. Rates aren't going much lower and my guess is they will be going up. I don't recommend getting a HELOC to pay them off because if anything bad happens, they can't rip the education out of your head, but they can take away your home. I doubt the spread is worth the risk. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017