• filter:

Can Gift Tax Form 709 to be filled with Form 1040?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Last year I sent $50000 to my parents in my motherland.
So I need to fill gift tax form 709.
The instruction says form 709 need to be sent to an independent address:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Cincinnati, OH 45999

In the past 3-4 years, I sent $50000 to my parents in my motherland every year.
I did not notice this mailing address when I fill form 709 in these years.
So I mailed form 709 with my form 1040, to Fresno, CA 93888-0002 & Kansas City, MO 64999-0002 (I lived in 2 different states in these years.)

The IRS has not contact me for my mistake till now.
This year, Can I keep fill Gift Tax Form 709 with Form 1040?
If I need send the Form 709 to Cincinnati, OH 45999, should I attached the copy of form 709 in the last 3-4 years?

Thank you very much for your help!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I think you should be able to request your tax transcripts to make sure they have recorded the form for your previous returns.

rated:
I did request my  tax transcripts 2013-2015, only 1040 forms information included.
Where can I request the tax transcripts about form 709 information?

Thanks.

rated:
ussrfw said:   I did request my  tax transcripts 2013-2015, only 1040 forms information included.

Thanks.

Did you get a Tax Return Transcript or Tax Account Transcript? The former should have all your forms included. If it doesn't have your 709, the IRS may not have received it. I am not your lawyer or tax professional, but I would probably send the forms in late. If you paid the correct amount of tax, I don't think the IRS will care much that its late.

rated:
BrianGa said:   
ussrfw said:   I did request my  tax transcripts 2013-2015, only 1040 forms information included.

Thanks.

Did you get a Tax Return Transcript or Tax Account Transcript? The former should have all your forms included. If it doesn't have your 709, the IRS may not have received it. I am not your lawyer or tax professional, but I would probably send the forms in late. If you paid the correct amount of tax, I don't think the IRS will care much that its late.

What I got is Account Transcript. I will request Tax Return Transcript online.
According to IRS website:

• Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items including your adjusted gross income (AGI) from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is only available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans. Note: the secondary spouse on a joint return must use Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T to request this transcript type. When using Get Transcript by Mail or phone, the primary taxpayer on the return must make the request.  

Whether I can find my Form 709 information on the Tax Return Transcript?

rated:
You won't find it on an tax return transcript. I'm not sure if there's another way to request it. Maybe just call the estate and gift tax division and ask if they have one for you.

Also, just as an FYI in case you're not aware, if you're married, both you and your spouse can gift to your parents and you'd be under the exclusion amount so no return would be required. If you are doing this every year, you may want to look into a more efficient way to get money to them.

rated:
marginoferror said:   You won't find it on an tax return transcript. I'm not sure if there's another way to request it. Maybe just call the estate and gift tax division and ask if they have one for you.

Also, just as an FYI in case you're not aware, if you're married, both you and your spouse can gift to your parents and you'd be under the exclusion amount so no return would be required. If you are doing this every year, you may want to look into a more efficient way to get money to them.

You are right, From 709 information is not on the tax return transcript.
I am single, no wife yet.
Now I only use a little bit of my $5,450,000 life time tax free gift limit, so I am fine about this.

It seems I have to use form 4506-T to check my previous form 709 information, but the process may take a while.
I am afraid I can not get the results before April 18, 2017.
So the question is still open: Can Gift Tax Form 709 to be filled with Form 1040?

Thanks!

rated:
ussrfw said:   

So the question is still open: Can Gift Tax Form 709 to be filled with Form 1040?

Thanks!

Except for an extra stamp, it seems simpler to just send them separately where they should go.  Then, you will have no doubts.   If you don't have success finding out whether the past ones were received,
I would be inclined to send the current one along with the older ones and a letter of explanation.    btw.........if you are sending 50K/yr to your parents, you can send 14K/yr to each person w/o declaring it so you only need to declare 22K/yr on the 709, right?  

rated:
wait, people actually pay gift taxes for five figures ?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017