• filter:

how to get International flight insurance ?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
i am going out of US and will be coming back to US in 2-3 weeks. i can purchase the ticket but i might have to cancel my flight last minute or i might have to come back to US in the middle of my trip (based on my situation)..so this means that i might have to cancel my entire ticket or part of it. it seems like international flight tickets don't have refund policy or its very bad refund policy. 

i was wondering if there is any third party website through which we can get insurance on flight ticket in case we cancel the flight. anyone having any such idea?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Some credit cards include trip cancellation coverage (for some specific reasons)

rated:
mk1039 said:   i am going out of US and will be coming back to US in 2-3 weeks. i can purchase the ticket but i might have to cancel my flight last minute or i might have to come back to US in the middle of my trip (based on my situation)..so this means that i might have to cancel my entire ticket or part of it. it seems like international flight tickets don't have refund policy or its very bad refund policy. 

i was wondering if there is any third party website through which we can get insurance on flight ticket in case we cancel the flight. anyone having any such idea?

Trip cancellation insurance is provided by popular sites like 0rbitz, 3xpedia etc. I think some airline sites also provide it. Read the coverage carefully to make sure it covers the type of situations you anticipate.

rated:
I'm not aware of any travel insurance that will allow you to cancel for ANY reason, as that's the same as a fully flexible ticket sold by the airline.

The travel insurance is usually for delays & cancellations, inclement weather, illness (you or relative), losing job, etc.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   I'm not aware of any travel insurance that will allow you to cancel for ANY reason, as that's the same as a fully flexible ticket sold by the airline.

The travel insurance is usually for delays & cancellations, inclement weather, illness (you or relative), losing job, etc.

One needs to read the fine print before buying. Expedia insurance covers unexpected events, like a traffic accident on the way to the airport, an earthquake destroying your house, jury duty, you were kidnapped, etc. Maybe that's enough protection. If you're looking for cancellation protection for if your goldfish died, it will be expensive and probably have a larger deductible. Travel insurance can also help cover things that may happen during the trip, such as an accident, medical transportation, a fire at your hotel, etc.

rated:
OP: When am going out of the country, decide what flights I want, etc. and get travel agent to make reservations. They usually have a cheap deal on trip cancellation / medical insurance, around 100$ / person. AAA was about 500 last time I checked and on-line was high (4-500 range), too.

rated:
mk1039 said:   i am going out of US and will be coming back to US in 2-3 weeks. i can purchase the ticket but i might have to cancel my flight last minute or i might have to come back to US in the middle of my trip (based on my situation)..so this means that i might have to cancel my entire ticket or part of it. it seems like international flight tickets don't have refund policy or its very bad refund policy. 

If your "situation" involves an illness of a family member, then many Citi cards have generous travel insurance benefits.  You have to sign into your account to get the specifics:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Travel

I'd be interested if anyone else had good experiences with them.

rated:
mk1039 said:   (based on my situation)..so this means that i might have to cancel my entire ticket or part of it. You need to define "my situation" in order to get correct information.

rated:
Yes. You can buy travel insurance "trip cancellation or interruption" insurance, but it's no subsltution for a more flexible airline ticket. The insurance only pays out for covered events, typically none of which are voluntary changes.

I suggest if you are really likely to need to change the return, just plan on paying a change fee or try to return on something flexible like a mileage award.

I'm also assuming it's too late- since you've probably already bought a discount restricted ticket and want to add-on theirs-party insurance

rated:
Too bad Southwest doesn't fly international

rated:
rufflesinc said:   Too bad Southwest doesn't fly international
Of course they do... Where have you been?

rated:
Southwest flies to Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican ....

rated:
smokeycatrules said:   Southwest flies to Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican ....

• Aruba
  • Belize
  • Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos
  • Cancun
  • Cuba
  • Grand Cayman Island
  • Liberia, Costa Rica
  • Mexico City
  • Montego Bay
  • Nassau, Bahamas
  • Puerto Vallarta
  • Punta Cana
  • San Jose, Costa Rica

rated:
mk1039 said:   i am going out of US and will be coming back to US in 2-3 weeks. i can purchase the ticket but i might have to cancel my flight last minute or i might have to come back to US in the middle of my trip (based on my situation).
  How about not buying the return ticket until you are sure of the return date? It will cost you more for a last minute flight but you won't lose everything on a cancelled flight.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   I'm not aware of any travel insurance that will allow you to cancel for ANY reason, as that's the same as a fully flexible ticket sold by the airline.

There are quite a few companies that allow "CFAR" (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage or riders. They cost more than typical insurance usually (for obvious reasons), but do cover you if cancellation is required.

I've gotten this before, and most of the aggregator sites/travel insurance comparison sites do have an option when you select criteria that you want in the policy

rated:
If you're truly not sure you will fly the ticket your best bet is to buy your ticket direct from the airline.

If the reason you can't go is medically related CC travel policies are enough to pay you back for any "losses." If you just don't want to go you'll need to self insure by buying a refundable ticket. The difference in price is the cost to insure. Check the price again for a nonrefundable ticket once you know you'll be going and cancel the refundable one if you can still save on a last minute ticket.

I put losses in quotes because you should STILL call the airline and speak to someone there about a refund. Explain the medical/other issue and there's a chance they'll just refund you. If I ever have to use travel insurance I first try to get things refunded from the sources because the claim process takes 2 months and there can be some uncertainty as to if they'll pay out.

rated:
mwarrior said:   

There are quite a few companies that allow "CFAR" (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage or riders. They cost more than typical insurance usually (for obvious reasons), but do cover you if cancellation is required.

I've gotten this before, and most of the aggregator sites/travel insurance comparison sites do have an option when you select criteria that you want in the policy

there's not a reason business travel uses this instead of fully flex tickts?

rated:
Depending on the fare rules, you may be able to just change the return for the change fee but pay no difference in fare. Only after you've already departed.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
mwarrior said:   

there's not a reason business travel uses this instead of fully flex tickts?

Fully flex also allows for last minute changes. Cancel for any reason isn't "change for any reason", so if it's say a meeting or event that ends up being longer (or shorter) than expected, this wouldn't apply or be a covered item.

It's also of course more expensive than regular insurance, and usually covers the non-refundable part of the flight, so in some cases the payout may not be as high as others or worth the additional premium. 

Squaremouth has a few listings, as does InsureMyTrip, and Travelguard is one of the companies that I know does offer this.
I'm not sure whether businesses use this or not, but I know many require lowest cost flight, not "lowest refundable flights", so it's very possible that it is something that's used often. I've had this coverage quite a few times (part of a policy or rider) and have had to use it twice. $300 cost on a $2800 otherwise non-refundable travel itinerary was one time (bought that policy directly from Delta), the other was a $800 flight and cost of insurance was $150, from a third party. The other times haven't had to use it, but things that aren't covered by standard policies do happen.

rated:

You can get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) insurance, but it's not cheap, and it typically only pays out 75-80% of your losses.  

Example (not recommending this policy, just the first that came up in a Google) is here:  https://www.travelguard.com/cancel-for-any-reason/

rated:
OP, what did you end up choosing?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017