Payroll company form Small business

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Please share your experience and suggestions for a payroll company.
We are setting up a small business, which will have less than 10 employees. 
We are looking for a payroll company to take care of end to end

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I am very happy with the services payroll provides. They are brilliant in managing the employee salary and therefore add... (more)

zdkformationsservices (May. 11, 2017 @ 7:20a) |

I second gusto. Very easy to use, easy to contact should you have any questions or problems. I love their online platfor... (more)

Rcracer2017 (May. 11, 2017 @ 8:35a) |

FYI - don't use a Small Local firm.
Payroll companies send money on your behalf to the Gov't.
If the company screws up and... (more)

camiolo (May. 14, 2017 @ 7:08a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Intuit Online Payroll through Costco. Extremely satisfied.

Onpay

Very inexpensive and easy to setup.. $36+$4/employee.
Their IIF files export to any accounting software, they do mileage/commissions, and all of the UI/Tax Withholding/Workers Comp forms and withholding for you.
Unlimited pay runs, you can print your checks, or pay a little more for direct deposit, and employees get a email saying they've been paid with a link to view their stub.

They also have time tracking, and a couple other features.
We've been using them for a couple months, and their IM-like support is really good.

ADP. Best there is, and reasonably priced.

Had Intuit for a few years, they truly sucked. They made so many mistakes that it wound up costing us money.

brentpresley said:   ADP. Best there is, and reasonably priced.

Had Intuit for a few years, they truly sucked. They made so many mistakes that it wound up costing us money.

We switched from ADP to Intuit. Our experience has been otherwise. ADP is way overpriced. 

absolut812003 said:   Intuit Online Payroll through Costco. Extremely satisfied.
  This is what I use and as a Costco Executive member, I got a discount for the first year. Now, I  pay $28/mo (for 2 employees) but I think it's the same price up to 10 employees. However, when I look at their current pricing, I think it's a bit higher. Or, maybe, I have a slightly different service. Mine includes tax forms, filing, and payment of taxes. 

absolut812003 said:   
brentpresley said:   ADP. Best there is, and reasonably priced.

We switched from ADP to Intuit. Our experience has been otherwise. ADP is way overpriced. 

Our cost is $12/mo per employee, and that includes all multi-state filings, etc.  Was a better deal than we got from Intuit without the screwups on state filings.

surepayroll.com is good.

I hear ads for Patriot Software, went to their website seems like a great value for small business.
https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/

I agree Intuit, ADP is overpriced

Local CPA. Will help you more than you know.

ecopaller said:   Please share your experience and suggestions for a payroll company.
We are setting up a small business, which will have less than 10 employees. 
We are looking for a payroll company to take care of end to end

If money is really tight at start up, and you are starting with only a couple of employees. an alternative is to do your own payroll initially.   The calculations aren't difficult using an Excel spreadsheet.using IRS and State tax tables   ADP has a calculator on their website that you can use to help you compare if your own Excel spreadsheet calc results match ADP's calculations. http://www.adp.com/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-tools/payroll-calculators/salary-paycheck-calculator.aspx

That said, if you are paying your employees more than once a month, the paperwork (tax deposits, quarterly payroll returns (fed and state), etc. will quickly make any business owner want to hire a payroll company.

If you are also going to be subject to issuing and filing 1099's (many businesses find themselves subject to this requirement too),  you might want to inquire whether the payroll company you intend to use offers that service as well and how much they charge for each 1099

I agree with umcsom about discussing your payroll prep requirements with a local CPA.   Your local CPA may or may not be the most cost effective choice for payroll.  The process of filing your company's first year's income tax return might be easier for you if your CPA is familiar with the payroll company you choose to use.

Very pleased with Gusto. Been using them over 3 years. They handle everything from all state and federal filing...reminders to do payroll,  CPA access if required, ease of adding employees, changing payroll amounts, compliance, benefits etc. The GUI interface is the best I have seen/used.

You may want to check how the checks are distributed to employee. Will you be signing it or will it be issued by processor? If you are signing the check, you will be responsible for check frauds. Friend recently had several thousands $ worth of bogus paychecks deposited against checking account. If it is issued by processor, processor may take responsibility against fraud.

I started with Intuit and moved to Paychex. Biggest mistake ever. The promise of a linked 401K, health, time tracking and payroll turned out to be quite clunky with several different logins.

If you use QuickBooks, just get the payroll from them. There are some discounts available if you cancel and resignup each year but overall it isn't worth the hassle saving a few bucks when it integrates so well.

umcsom said:   Local CPA. Will help you more than you know.

My local CPA recommends that we use an online payroll service.

jigsaw1975 said:   Very pleased with Gusto. Been using them over 3 years. They handle everything from all state and federal filing...reminders to do payroll,  CPA access if required, ease of adding employees, changing payroll amounts, compliance, benefits etc. The GUI interface is the best I have seen/used.
Agree, have been using Gusto about 2 years. Very happy with it and support has been responsive when contacted. That said, reviewing what is offered today I would probably try Onpay. Cheaper and seems to cover everything we need (W2 and 1099, tax payments, filing, unlimited payments per cycle). We did try workers comp and health insurance through Gusto but they basically hand you off to a broker, don't see any added benefit there.

Btw, if you are considering Gusto, you'll get a $100 Amazon GC if an existing user refers you (referrer receives the same).

I am very happy with the services payroll provides. They are brilliant in managing the employee salary and therefore add up an employee becomes easier. Perfect to hire! Great Job! Keep it up!

I second gusto. Very easy to use, easy to contact should you have any questions or problems. I love their online platform. ADP sales agents are worse than car salesman. I've had them make unannounced visit to my office if I don't return their sales calls fast enough. Very unprofessional.

FYI - don't use a Small Local firm.
Payroll companies send money on your behalf to the Gov't.
If the company screws up and fails - you still owe the Gov't.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017