• filter:

Disputing a Tow

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi all,I was parked in my friend's apartment bottom garage. The apartment itself has two garages, one main one for residents, and a separate one for "guests" and employees. The towing signs stated "for customers and tenants only while on property". However, they allow for guest parking after 7:00 PM.I was towed at 10:30 PM for parking in a "reserved" parking space. This garage is small with about maybe 10 parking spot, 7 of which has employee parking only signs which were recently put up. As a result, I found a spot that did NOT have a sign directly on the spot and parked there. However, I come back down and realized my car has been towed for parking in an assigned parking space. I called the 311 number to have APD see where my car was and sure enough it was towed by JJ Towing. They suggested I go ahead and pay the fee to get my car out and then file a complaint.The thing was earlier that day my friend received a text that said "guests parking is not permitted between 8 AM-7PM" and I did not park there until 9ish. We called management and they asked if I had received a guest parking pass, which is typically only for overnights/weekend parking. I had not, however we called again the next day to request a parking pass since I needed to be over for a few hours and another member of the staff said "if that will make you feel better but you don't need us to print a pass if it's after 7 PM and you can quote me on that" and gave us her name. She only mentioned that 4 of those spots were reserved 24/7 however that is extremely ambiguous considering there is no signs that specifies this and why would you tell us you have guest parking after 7PM but not tell us which EXACT spot is to be parked.I filed a complaint with the APD wrecker enforcement unit who assigned a detective to the case. He mentioned he could not force them to refund me the money, but he thinks I have a good claim in small claims court since there was no signs specifying which spots. In addition, the towing signs are also obstructed from view in the parking garage, one is on a pillar that is right behind the wall, another is mostly covered by a dumpster, and the last which is inside the garage would be obstructed from view if there was a car parked in front of it. He said he would go out next week to take pictures and if those signs are obstructed he would cite the company which would help my case.However, since then I had only followed up with disputing the charge with Chase to which they told me they cannot follow up the dispute because
1.) It was not an illegitimate charge because I signed for it.
2.) It is not a billing error

and the 14 days deadline for a towing hearing has passed.

Is there anything else I can do moving forward to fight this charge?  http://imgur.com/a/D9S6TThank you very much for your time and assistance. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Small Claims lawsuit. Good luck.

rated:
If it's less than like $150 I'd just pay it and move on with my life. Join the club (that being almost everyone with a car) that has been towed for some BS reason. Personally I try to avoid parking in lots like this because the spots are purposely made ambiguous so they can tow you (the company has an agreement with the complex to patrol the lot).

rated:
Holy wall of text !! For $150, I think you've spent a lot of yours and the PD's time. Just move on with your life.

rated:
Jesus Christ, ever heard of paragraphs?

rated:
If that APD is "Austin" then just call it a day. You won't get anything back, and APD KNEW that when they told you to pay it and dispute later. You are hosed no matter how you do it, once they have your money you are SOL -- don't pay and dispute and rack up MORE storage fees you will have to pay... when you inevitably LOSE. Unless you have a picture/video of where it was and it was definitely a bad tow you will NEVER win a he-said/she-said against a wrecker. Possession of your car is 100% of the win for them. ONLY if the property office is willing to go to bat for you, generally as a tenant. (hint: its rare)

You are lucky you didn't have to carry $300 in cash into a VERY bad neighborhood to get it back like I did last time. The lady behind the armored glass with a shotgun mounted to the wall... she does not care. The only gate.. she controls it, and the spike strip in front of it. Go screw with your car and go to jail for trespassing -- it ain't your car until you pay. (I had $2000 worth of client equipment in mine, so had to pay for it even though mine was a very marginal tow as well)

Me? I was parked at a client cell site with two small parking spots and a dumpster behind it -- and a busy club across the street that the towboys love to prowl around. Technically I was partially blocking the dumpster.. at 2am in the morning. So yeah, I was PISSED and cussing and she was like "cash please."

My suggestion? Where you parked? Don't do it again.

rated:
You can still dispute a transaction even though you signed for it. It's up to interpretation whether or not it can be considered a billing dispute. I would start with filing a chargeback with Chase by mailing a dispute letter stating that the merchant illegally towed your vehicle and coerced you into authorizing the charge to release your car. You don't have much to lose. If that doesn't work, you can go to small claims.

rated:
caterpillar123 said:   You can still dispute a transaction even though you signed for it. It's up to interpretation whether or not it can be considered a billing dispute. I would start with filing a chargeback with Chase by mailing a dispute letter stating that the merchant illegally towed your vehicle and coerced you into authorizing the charge to release your car. You don't have much to lose. If that doesn't work, you can go to small claims.
  That would be denied.  Because he presented the card to get his car.  He didn't have to present the card, but he wanted the car.  And thanks to Chip Technologies, he can't say someone stole his card either.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
caterpillar123 said:   You can still dispute a transaction even though you signed for it. It's up to interpretation whether or not it can be considered a billing dispute. I would start with filing a chargeback with Chase by mailing a dispute letter stating that the merchant illegally towed your vehicle and coerced you into authorizing the charge to release your car. You don't have much to lose. If that doesn't work, you can go to small claims.
  That would be denied. 

ya never know. 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
  That would be denied.  Because he presented the card to get his car.  He didn't have to present the card, but he wanted the car.  And thanks to Chip Technologies, he can't say someone stole his card either.

How is that any different than if he presented his card to a repair shop after they fixed his car, and after driving it home, it had the same problem he brought it in for?

rated:
1) He already stated that he was denied a chargeback.

2) That's a chargeback of 'services not performed'. I would like to see how 'towing my car' wasn't performed.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   1) He already stated that he was denied a chargeback.

2) That's a chargeback of 'services not performed'. I would like to see how 'towing my car' wasn't performed.

There is a big difference between mailing in a dispute under the FCBA and calling a credit card CSR and asking about the dispute process.

rated:
caterpillar123 said:   
forbin4040 said:   1) He already stated that he was denied a chargeback.

There is a big difference between mailing in a dispute under the FCBA and calling a credit card CSR and asking about the dispute process.

forbin4040 said:   

If a card is stolen, the chip still works.  It doesn't just stop working when stolen.

rated:
Would it be useful to get the apartment staff to give me something in writing stating that guest parking is allowed after 7pm?

rated:
TowingDispute said:   Would it be useful to get the apartment staff to give me something in writing stating that guest parking is allowed after 7pm?
  It would help in small claims court but the credit card dispute is somewhat of a longshot.  I wouldn't bother including it in credit card dispute.  If the apartment staff is willing to work with you, why won't they help you get the fee back?  Doesn't the towing company work for the apartment complex?  I assume they are contracted or were called to tow the vehicle.

rated:
The towing company was called by the owner of that "reserved parking" spot who the property owner allowed them to use , however that was never made clear to the tenants or guests, and there was also a lack of signage stating that (which I included pictures of)

The apartment staff was sympathetic to my friend who is a tenant there when she complained to them but they just clarified their policies and said they would pass it on to the property manager who hasn't replied. This entire incident took place over a month ago .

EDIT. Also is there a reason AMEX was able to successfully credit me back for a similar incident a few years back but Chase isn't? Both were illegitimate tows/boot

rated:
Hmm...the owner of the parking spot called?
In CA, the owner of the building is the only one who can call, I wonder if you win on those grounds, check your state regulation.

rated:
why not call the towing company, give false info, false car and some street saying I broke down and I need a tow. Waste their time and gas looking for a non existence car

rated:
TowingDispute said:   Would it be useful to get the apartment staff to give me something in writing stating that guest parking is allowed after 7pm?
  It certainly won't hurt, especially in small claims court.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Hmm...the owner of the parking spot called?
In CA, the owner of the building is the only one who can call, I wonder if you win on those grounds, check your state regulation.

I'm pretty sure it was because when I came back a truck was parked in that spot and it was 10:30 pm so I don't think any apartment staff was there and when I asked the apartment staff they said the 4 far left spots are reserved.

However on the towing receipt I got it had the apartment building name as the one who authorized the tow.

rated:
realjones said:   If it's less than like $150 I'd just pay it and move on with my life. Join the club (that being almost everyone with a car) that has been towed for some BS reason. Personally I try to avoid parking in lots like this because the spots are purposely made ambiguous so they can tow you (the company has an agreement with the complex to patrol the lot).
  It was $193.30

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017