• filter:

Negotiating with car dealer regarding recall work

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hello everyone,

I received a recall notice for my car from the manufacturer. I know I can bring it to any dealer and have the repair completed free of charge. It is my understanding that the dealer that completes the work is compensated by the manufacturer (Nissan in this case). I also happen to need new tires. I was wondering if it would be worth my time to call the few dealers around me and see if they'd throw in free mounting and balancing for my tires if I bring the car there for the recall work. Has anyone ever tried this?

Essentially I'm asking for a discount for the M&B of the tires to go along with the other work that needs to be performed. If I was the one paying for the other work, it seems like it would be a pretty straight forward request for a discount for multiple services. I'm just not sure how they'd react to the request in the case of a recall.

TIA.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
OP, you sure can try talking to a few dealers, there's no harm in that.
Having said that, I want to say this: Generally speaking, you would be loosing more on the Tire Pricing vs savings on the M&B. Instead, check places that are primarily Tire Sellers....yesterday there was a great deal on the other deals site about $70 off + $60 off on Bridgestone tires from Costco Tire center. Going this route gets you life time FREE Wheel Balance and Tire Rotation. Costco also gives you life time FREE Flat-repairs............There are many Tire sellers that have very competitive pricing on Tires+Install
Anyhow, what I'm suggesting is: consider the long game and not the one time new-tire-installation short-game.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   Hello everyone,

I received a recall notice for my car from the manufacturer. I know I can bring it to any dealer and have the repair completed free of charge. It is my understanding that the dealer that completes the work is compensated by the manufacturer (Nissan in this case). I also happen to need new tires. I was wondering if it would be worth my time to call the few dealers around me and see if they'd throw in free mounting and balancing for my tires if I bring the car there for the recall work. Has anyone ever tried this?

Essentially I'm asking for a discount for the M&B of the tires to go along with the other work that needs to be performed. If I was the one paying for the other work, it seems like it would be a pretty straight forward request for a discount for multiple services. I'm just not sure how they'd react to the request in the case of a recall.

TIA.

It is not clear from your post but are you planning to purchase the tires from the dealership.
You may find better overall deal buying tires from a tire shop and having it mounted with them.

rated:
Thank you both. Possibly buy from dealer. It is my understanding that my local dealer will price match other shops on tires. I have also purchased from TireRack before and had them shipped to a dealer/shop and then just paid for the mount and balance. I'll look into all my options I guess before even asking. Thanks!

rated:
I think the two things are totally unrelated and have nothing to do with each other. Dealers profit margins from recall work from manufacturers is very low. They really don't need your business that badly. You want them to price match and give you free mounting/balancing just because you are giving them recall business. Good luck with that. Like others have said buy from Americas tire, Tire Rack or Costco!.

rated:
Thanks Dirtrat. That's the type of info I was looking for. I have received post cards from a couple dealers regarding the recall, so I thought maybe they really want the work, but it's also only supposed to be 1-2 hours of labor for them, so it can't be that profitable.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   Thanks Dirtrat. That's the type of info I was looking for. I have received post cards from a couple dealers regarding the recall, so I thought maybe they really want the work, but it's also only supposed to be 1-2 hours of labor for them, so it can't be that profitable.
  They want to try to upsell you on other services after you walk in the door. 

rated:
devyanks90 said:   
BingBlangBlaow said:   Thanks Dirtrat. That's the type of info I was looking for. I have received post cards from a couple dealers regarding the recall, so I thought maybe they really want the work, but it's also only supposed to be 1-2 hours of labor for them, so it can't be that profitable.
  They want to try to upsell you on other services after you walk in the door. 

Well I guess that pretty much goes against my plan.

rated:
OP I've tried to get them to do something small like a free oil change... hit or miss depending on the dealer (hyundai and toyota). Anyone else have luck in PHX?

rated:
It doesn't hurt to ask, but know that recall and warranty work is the lowest paying jobs for dealerships. They are forced to take the jobs per Franchise agreements, but manufacturer pays them very low hourly rate for the work.

rated:
The dealer than completes the work gets paid by the manufacturer at a settled price. I doubt there's any room for them to pass down to the customer. I just had to do an airbag. Asked them for a free car wash and got it.

Tire Rack, Cotsco, Sams Club. You'll save on the tires and you'll save on mounting/balance. Sams charges $15 per tire but you get free lifetime rotation and balancing and roadside hazard warranty. I believe the same case is with Costco. I seriously doubt that whatever 'savings' they give you will even get close what the prices you can get elsewhere.

Sams doesn't do alignment. So ask them for a special on it. Get the tires at Sams and come back for the alignment...

rated:
Warranty rate is about half of shop posted cash rate. warrabty work isn't something they love

rated:
If the recall involves them having to take the wheels off anyway then I could see you having better luck with negotiating, but if not I would stick with the "it doesn't hurt to ask but don't expect much" crowd. Tire Buyer is another online option for tires that I've used. Had them shipped right to the shop and they told me before ordered what the install rate would be.

rated:
OP: If you think getting warranty work done will be an enticement to the dealer to give you a cut rate on something else there, its rather doubtful. As far as most dealers are concerned, they would rather you take your car elsewhere as their margin is slim on warranty work.

Moral: Make sure when you are going to dangle a carrot on a stick that the carrot isn't rotten.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   It is my understanding that my local dealer will price match other shops on tires.

That's what my VW dealer said too.  Turns out it's only against stores with tires "in stock" where I can bring a print out of the out-the-door price.   Didn't accept online printed estimates.
TireRack + shipping costs not allowed...  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017