Do you tip on a bad hair cut?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
When I got there- I did not like the feminine energy in the room- a hair dresser - male was campy singing out loudly with the music- but hey, it is just a hair cut,  The gal who cut is- and everyone there but one- your melinial-  we are there to socialize- and dance- not really get  hair cut. I was told 6 times that my hair was long- in other words- dont make me work this hard.  I asked for a marine flat top - and the gal wants to know if i was in the marines.  When I wasnt- bummer.  

So while I do look better- the cut is not a flat top-  there is nothing flat about it.

Based on the non-serious sloth full attitude- the jabs that my hair was too long-  and the final product- I did not get the cut I asked for- I decided the one thing I could do was to not tip.    


...did I mention my hair was horribly long?

 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I always have the same girl cut my hair, so I don't have to worry about getting a bad cut or explaining what I want.  Th... (more)

govenar (Mar. 26, 2017 @ 12:12a) |

do you get to see pics of the stylist before you commit?

scottvm (Mar. 26, 2017 @ 5:56p) |

no pics

govenar (Mar. 26, 2017 @ 6:19p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

My general tip is $2 per cut, but if they offer to trim my eye brows they get $3. Once a lady proactively trimmed my ear hairs too (didn't ask) but i was cool with it and tipped $4.

I always tip on haircuts because when you get a new haircut, you're not used to how you look in the mirror, so I often dislike it until the next day.

So I am cognizant that I am not going to be thrilled for at least a day, and I don't want to have to regret not tipping something I will enjoy later especially if I return to the haircut place again.

I usually tip $5. If it's really good $6. My haircuts cost $25 in downtown San Diego.

Al3xK said:   I always tip on haircuts because when you get a new haircut, you're not used to how you look in the mirror, so I often dislike it until the next day.

So I am cognizant that I am not going to be thrilled for at least a day, and I don't want to have to regret not tipping something I will enjoy later especially if I return to the haircut place again.

I usually tip $5. If it's really good $6. My haircuts cost $25 in downtown San Diego.

You overpaid for a haircut, Homer.

The real question is do I red a bad topic? Please click OP rating for answer!

Is there some reason why you left the shop unhappy without asking them to fix your haircut?

You tip what you feel is right.
And if you wish to blog about it, that's your call.

I usually tip $5 (on an $8-15 haircut). if i was unhappy I'd ask them to trim it to fix whatever I didn't like.

If they did something you didn't like that was unfixable against your wishes I wouldn't tip at all

If I wanted a military-like haircut, I'd have gone to a barber with an old-school feel to his shop.

Based on your description, the place you went to is the go-to place for rising youtube stars and the like. I bet they do a mean Manbun.

TravelerMSY said:   Is there some reason why you left the shop unhappy without asking them to fix your haircut?
  How do you fix a part of your anatomy that has been cut off?

You're already spending more time and thought on this than it deserves. A tip is not mandatory if you're unhappy.
Sounds like a typical Supercuts-type shop. I second the barber suggestion. They will know what you mean when you ask for a flat-top. A "melinial" might not know what that means.

I typically tip $5 for a given hair cut. I usually pay around the ballpark of $15 for the cut itself.

If the haircut sucks and they butcher my hair, the only tip I'll give them is to stop sucking at their job. If you have problems cutting a typical male haircut there is little to no hope for you. It doesn't get much easier than "2 on the sides, fade, finger length on top"

qcumber98 said:   
Al3xK said:   I always tip on haircuts because when you get a new haircut, you're not used to how you look in the mirror, so I often dislike it until the next day.

So I am cognizant that I am not going to be thrilled for at least a day, and I don't want to have to regret not tipping something I will enjoy later especially if I return to the haircut place again.

I usually tip $5. If it's really good $6. My haircuts cost $25 in downtown San Diego.

You overpaid for a haircut, Homer.

  Do you think $25 is too much for a haircut or is it a joke because of the homer icon?  That's why I put downtown San Diego in my post because that's just what they cost her. I can't get the super-cuts $12 special anymore.

sunsetcliff said:   male was campy singing out loudly with the music
 

This makes me feel like you are a jerk. 

I don't tip at all for haircuts, but then again I cut my own hair.

sunsetcliff said:   When I got there- I did not like the feminine energy in the room- a hair dresser - male was campy singing out loudly with the music- but hey, it is just a hair cut,  The gal who cut is- and everyone there but one- your melinial-  we are there to socialize- and dance- not really get  hair cut. I was told 6 times that my hair was long- in other words- dont make me work this hard.  I asked for a marine flat top - and the gal wants to know if i was in the marines.  When I wasnt- bummer.  

So while I do look better- the cut is not a flat top-  there is nothing flat about it.

Based on the non-serious sloth full attitude- the jabs that my hair was too long-  and the final product- I did not get the cut I asked for- I decided the one thing I could do was to not tip.    


...did I mention my hair was horribly long?

 

  This troll has the same stop-and-go syntax and style of the other troll in the divorce court thread.

Seity said:   I don't tip at all for haircuts, but then again I cut my own hair.
  
I don't tip for haircuts, cause the owner of the salon cuts it. If she wants more money, she can raise her prices. Same place for over 15 years.

rsuaver said:   
Seity said:   I don't tip at all for haircuts, but then again I cut my own hair.
  
I don't tip for haircuts, cause the owner of the salon cuts it. If she wants more money, she can raise her prices. Same place for over 15 years.

  Is that why you wear the helmet Darth? 15 years of bad haircuts?

Been going to same place for about 4 years now.
$10 for haircut.. $2/3 tip.

I wanted the jar head flat top hair cut- the means the top is squared off.  She gave me a baldy sour. It was too late to fix it once she rounded the clippers by the top. There is no hair left to shape.  It isnt posible to fix it to the flat top, until the hair grows some. 

KayK said:   Been going to same place for about 4 years now.
$10 for haircut.. $2/3 tip.

  And judging from your picture, you get your money's worth.

I'm balding. No haircut is a good haircut.

I go to a beauty school- this is where students cut hair as a way to get trained. A long hair cut is $9, a clipper cut is $5. I usually tip $1.

Students are learning how to establish their own hair salon, and this is part of the training.

I been going there for 9 years.


This school costs close to $10,000.00 for a course- the licensing to cut hair.

When she kept saying my hair was long- that was supposed to be an insult.

I wasnt there to attend a dance party. I wasnt there to hear karaoke.

...the rub will pass. I once got a manicure- and the gal asked if I wanted my nails cut. Somehow a manicure does not mean cutting the finger nail.

I could grab a pair of clippers on eBay - and give me a baldy sour. I can do that myself. I cant tho do a flat top.

Most the students are decent. A few tho do the deel sigh- roll their eyes and are fidgeting with their phone.

For the type of haircut I want- I guess I have to pay market rate $12-$20.

hmm- I did a search my town has a new barber shop

I have no problem leaving $0 tip for a bad haircut. When it is really bad, I have put it on a credit card and did a chargeback.
Tips are earned, not automatic in my book.

I got a reply from the new barber shop in town.

The price of that hair cut is $15.

sunsetcliff said:   I go to a beauty school- this is where students cut hair as a way to get trained. A long hair cut is $9, a clipper cut is $5. I usually tip $1.

Students are learning how to establish their own hair salon, and this is part of the training.

I been going there for 9 years.


This school costs close to $10,000.00 for a course- the licensing to cut hair.

When she kept saying my hair was long- that was supposed to be an insult.

I wasnt there to attend a dance party. I wasnt there to hear karaoke.

...the rub will pass. I once got a manicure- and the gal asked if I wanted my nails cut. Somehow a manicure does not mean cutting the finger nail.

I could grab a pair of clippers on eBay - and give me a baldy sour. I can do that myself. I cant tho do a flat top.

Most the students are decent. A few tho do the deel sigh- roll their eyes and are fidgeting with their phone.

For the type of haircut I want- I guess I have to pay market rate $12-$20.

hmm- I did a search my town has a new barber shop

  ding ding ding, we have our answer!

You went to a school to get your hair cut and were unhappy with the job the student who is in training did on your hair........sounds like par for the course.  Consider yourself lucky that in 9 years this is the only one.

Hmm maybe this is something that gets glossed over a lot on FWF,  Generally you have to pay market rate for the services you are contracting, I'm not saying pay a premium or overpay, or not shop around.  There are nice tips and tricks to try and get the most for your $$, but most of the time it boils down to, you have to pay what the market is asking for the service you want in order to get what you're asking for, the cheaper option in a lot of cases, is cheaper for a reason.

Cheap haircut from a student, you're taking on haircut risk
Cheap handyman doing electrical work, you're taking on the risk that he is in over his head (compared to an electrician)
Cheap car on craigslist, you're taking on the risk that there is something minor or major wrong with it that you can't figure out in your short test drive.

Obviously all of these are trade offs, but you're not getting a free lunch.

 

can i have my 4 minutes back?  i'm unsatisfied with this thread.  no tip for you!

You sound like a candidate for a flowbee

I always have the same girl cut my hair, so I don't have to worry about getting a bad cut or explaining what I want.  The Supercuts app gives you the option of selecting the stylist.

govenar said:   I always have the same girl cut my hair, so I don't have to worry about getting a bad cut or explaining what I want.  The Supercuts app gives you the option of selecting the stylist.
  do you get to see pics of the stylist before you commit?

scottvm said:   
govenar said:   I always have the same girl cut my hair, so I don't have to worry about getting a bad cut or explaining what I want.  The Supercuts app gives you the option of selecting the stylist.
  do you get to see pics of the stylist before you commit?

no pics



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017