• filter:

Manufacturer says to return item to selling store for warranty but they closed years ago

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This is not a big ticket item, maybe $50, but this is FW afterall. I bought an A-1 Cardone remanufactured water pump that has a lifetime warranty back in 2003 from a B&M auto parts store. That store closed probably 10 years ago but I still have the receipt. I called A-1 and they said to return it to where I bought it but since that isn't possible, I'm out of luck. Any suggestions besides just eat it?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
A quick google search found other B & M auto parts stores.  Try one of them.  B & M is also a brand name of parts sold a... (more)

Rickmaster (Mar. 24, 2017 @ 8:15a) |

Surprised no one has mentioned the Tommy Boy lifetime guarantee warranty.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4


Cashman (Mar. 24, 2017 @ 9:12a) |

FYI  B&M means brick and mortar as opposed to an online store.

atikovi (Mar. 24, 2017 @ 9:18a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You can always "exchange" it to another store you got good relation with. YMMV. What did they say when you told them about the store being closed?

rated:
When I told them about the store being closed they said they have no way to verify I purchased it, even if I have the receipt.

rated:
Does the original "lifetime warranty" say that you must return it to the store where you purchased it?

rated:
I don't have a copy of that, just going by what the manufacturer told me.

rated:
Here is a A1 Cardone warranty :

http://www.rockauto.com/info/1/CardoneWarranty.pdf

"A replacement for a failed or defective A1 CARDONE/CARDONE ULTRA unit is available from the point of purchase.
The unit must be returned with proof of purchase and a written description of the failure or defect"

rated:
Take it back to Nordstrom.

rated:
Are there other B&M auto stores you could take it to? (I assume thats a chain)

Just because one location shut down doesn't mean you can't take it to another. A chain should support the warranty from any location, I'd think.

rated:
Wasn't from a chain.

rated:
Seems the manufacturer wanted to tie the lifetime warranty to the lifetime of the now deceased store, and not the manufacturer's or customer's lifetime.

rated:
atikovi said:   This is not a big ticket item, maybe $50, but this is FW afterall. I bought an A-1 Cardone remanufactured water pump that has a lifetime warranty back in 2003 from a B&M auto parts store. That store closed probably 10 years ago but I still have the receipt. I called A-1 and they said to return it to where I bought it but since that isn't possible, I'm out of luck. Any suggestions besides just eat it?
  $50 item, used it ~14 years. Move on.

rated:
File a complaint with the appropriate government agency (maybe state AG, city or county division of commerce, etc.) Maybe the company will cave. Anything more than that is probably not worth your time.

rated:
Usually you could go back to any authorized dealer. Otherwise, I agree a complaint to a government agency is the way to go.

rated:
craigslist

rated:
jerosen said:   Here is a A1 Cardone warranty :

http://www.rockauto.com/info/1/CardoneWarranty.pdf 

"A replacement for a failed or defective A1 CARDONE/CARDONE ULTRA unit is available from the point of purchase.
The unit must be returned with proof of purchase and a written description of the failure or defect"

  Also says: "CARDONE warrants that it will provide a free replacement for any A1 CARDONE unit that fails or proves defective during normal use on the vehicle on which it was originally installed."  The section saying that you have to return it to point of purchase seems more of an administrative detail and I don't think that prevents OP from taking advantage of warranty.  I would push harder on manufacturer or try to return to other store that sells Cardone.

rated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG7lXc4Didg




AvE did a nice video on this type of "lifetime" warranty. OP has a unique situation.

rated:
Forget Nordstrom - sent 2 pairs of new shoes to them using their mailing label and return form in early December. They can't find the shipment and told me too bad. Contacted customer service at least 4 times and wrote to two executives including one of the Nordstroms with no follow up and no response from the executive suite.  

rated:

rated:
Return it to Trak Auto - the Schneider guy.

rated:
devyanks90 said:   Stop buying Cardone parts

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1449928

  
In my 20's, I sold auto parts for a few years. The A-1 stuff always looked like it was coated in 4-5 layers of paint to cover up whatever was underneath. Didn't matter if it was water pumps, power steering racks or whatever. We switched to some other lines after I could really tell their track record.

For water pumps, I'd go with Airtex, or some other brand that didnt look painted to death.

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
atikovi said:   This is not a big ticket item, maybe $50, but this is FW afterall. I bought an A-1 Cardone remanufactured water pump that has a lifetime warranty back in 2003 from a B&M auto parts store. That store closed probably 10 years ago but I still have the receipt. I called A-1 and they said to return it to where I bought it but since that isn't possible, I'm out of luck. Any suggestions besides just eat it?
  $50 item, used it ~14 years. Move on.

OP, even though it sounds to me as if you are rightfully entitled to a replacement, do you want to spend your time getting this resolved for a $50 item?  If it is the principle of the issue, and you have time available, go for it.

rated:
Does this company have any kind of social media engagement (Facebook, Twitter, etc)?  If they are in anyway popular with gear heads, a post on their Facebook page about how they are not honouring their lifetime warranty will surely get you a response and probably a resolution in your favor.

rated:
caterpillar123 said:   
jerosen said:   Here is a A1 Cardone warranty :

http://www.rockauto.com/info/1/CardoneWarranty.pdf 

"A replacement for a failed or defective A1 CARDONE/CARDONE ULTRA unit is available from the point of purchase.
The unit must be returned with proof of purchase and a written description of the failure or defect"

  Also says: "CARDONE warrants that it will provide a free replacement for any A1 CARDONE unit that fails or proves defective during normal use on the vehicle on which it was originally installed."  The section saying that you have to return it to point of purchase seems more of an administrative detail and I don't think that prevents OP from taking advantage of warranty.  I would push harder on manufacturer or try to return to other store that sells Cardone.

  It also says their water pump warranty is 3yr/36k miles.  So that's obviously not the warranty OP is looking at.

My question is about a company offering a lifetime warranty on a remanufactured part that only has a 3 year warranty when new.  And about OP still having the same car he installed it on 14 years ago, when 14 years ago that car was already old enough to need a new water pump.

rated:
Logan71 said:   
devyanks90 said:   Stop buying Cardone parts

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1449928

  
In my 20's, I sold auto parts for a few years. The A-1 stuff always looked like it was coated in 4-5 layers of paint to cover up whatever was underneath. Didn't matter if it was water pumps, power steering racks or whatever. We switched to some other lines after I could really tell their track record.

For water pumps, I'd go with Airtex, or some other brand that didnt look painted to death.

Sounds like Ati did okay with this particular part, though, doesn't it?  14 years out of a remanufactured water pump?  I'd take that deal.  

rated:

94 Cadi (409.59kB)
Disclaimer
Only drove it maybe 3,000 miles in that many years.

 

rated:
sailorbob said:   Forget Nordstrom - sent 2 pairs of new shoes to them using their mailing label and return form in early December. They can't find the shipment and told me too bad. Contacted customer service at least 4 times and wrote to two executives including one of the Nordstroms with no follow up and no response from the executive suite.  
  Wait, you sent an unsolicited complaint email to the president of a $5B company and didn't hear back?! How could that happen?! Boycott Nordstrom!!

rated:
Is the water pump to worn out? Otherwise how about buying another one that is exactly the same and then returning the old one (cleaned and in the box) one week later?

rated:
Pretty sure the impeller broke off inside the housing. Can't clean up a 14 year old pump to look like new.

rated:
marginoferror said:   
sailorbob said:   Forget Nordstrom - sent 2 pairs of new shoes to them using their mailing label and return form in early December. They can't find the shipment and told me too bad. Contacted customer service at least 4 times and wrote to two executives including one of the Nordstroms with no follow up and no response from the executive suite.  
  Wait, you sent an unsolicited complaint email to the president of a $5B company and didn't hear back?! How could that happen?! Boycott Nordstrom! !

  You're implying that the executives should solicit the complaints?     It's fairly common to complain to the executives when no one at their corporations providing the service you expect from them.  It's not like, the executives takes the letter opener and read/responds to the complaints, they have a whole slew of people dedicated just for these sort of things. 

rated:
devyanks90 said:   Stop buying Cardone parts

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1449928

Wow, really standing behind their products. "Hey, your part failed within warranty and the store doesn't help/doesn't exist" "Talk to the hand".

rated:
Ecuadorgr said:   
devyanks90 said:   Stop buying Cardone parts

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1449928

Wow, really standing behind their products. "Hey, your part failed within warranty and the store doesn't help/doesn't exist" "Talk to the hand".

  That's how wholesalers work.

rated:
that is amazing you still have the receipt and it still has ink on it. you should share some organizational skills of yours on how to save those receipts and later on how to find them back.

rated:
Nothing special. I create a file folder on every car I own and toss the receipts in. Then write down on paper every part I purchase or service I do with the date and mileage so I have a running total of what I have in it at any time. I still have the folders from the first cars I sold in the late 70's. I don't throw anything out.

rated:
A quick google search found other B & M auto parts stores.  Try one of them.  B & M is also a brand name of parts sold at O'Reilly Auto Parts.  Perhaps they would exchange it.  My '72 Buick has shocks with a lifetime warranty.  I've replaced them under warranty 5 times now, from 3 different stores.  Original store closed 30 years ago and the original part number is no longer produced.  Each replacement has been the next improved part # up.  Each store just wants me as a happy customer, and I don't think it costs them $ to warranty it out.  Good luck.

rated:
Surprised no one has mentioned the Tommy Boy lifetime guarantee warranty.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4



rated:
Rickmaster said:   A quick google search found other B & M auto parts stores.  Try one of them.  
 FYI  B&M means brick and mortar as opposed to an online store.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017