• filter:

Snow damage to exhaust

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
guys - I'm guessing insurance doesn't cover this at all but thought I'll ask here before reporting damage to them. Backing up into snow, one of the rear exhausts on my car was pushed in - mechanic tells me it's a couple of hundred to fix but he'll give me exact $ in a few hours. Is insurance comprehensive or collision going to cover this? no other car was involved - just me backing into a tight parking spot

thx

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sure, they will cover it. After you pay your several hundred dollar deductible.

rated:
This would be covered under collision.

rated:
With your Collision deductible and the impact it is likely to have on your premiums going forward it probably doesn't make any sense to file a claim for something like this.

rated:
How bad does it look? What kind of car? Your deductible is most certainly going to apply, making an insurance claim worthless. Would you actually spend money out of pocket to fix it, or can you live with it the way it is?

rated:
IMBoring25 said:   With your Collision deductible and the impact it is likely to have on your premiums going forward it probably doesn't make any sense to file a claim for something like this.
  ^^^ Ditto.  You will pay your deductible and depending on your insurance carrier, it would likely be an excuse to raise your premiums for the next three years or so.  I would just pay out of pocket.  

You might not get anywhere with this, but it sounds like you were in a parking lot.  That parking lot is owned, managed, and maintained by some company/companies, and they should all carry insurance.  If there was snow piled up in the parking space (where it shouldn't be), you might be able to file a claim with the insurance carrier of the parking lot owner, management company, and/or maintenance company.  That could avoid the claim hitting your insurance, and might pay for part or all of your repair costs.

rated:
really...we are only talking about a couple of hundred here.

rated:
RidicuRuss said:   really...we are only talking about a couple of hundred here.
  My thoughts exactly. I was going to just not reply, because people say it's all relative... but in this case, it's not. The deductible likely is higher than the "couple of hundred" so if it is going to be fixed (meaning, this isn't a "should I" but rather a "I am going to" thread), the OP is out the dollars no matter what.

rated:
lodak008 said:   guys - I'm guessing insurance doesn't cover this at all but thought I'll ask here before reporting damage to them. Backing up into snow, one of the rear exhausts on my car was pushed in - mechanic tells me it's a couple of hundred to fix but he'll give me exact $ in a few hours. Is insurance comprehensive or collision going to cover this? no other car was involved - just me backing into a tight parking spot

thx

Don't file this.  Pay for it out of pocket.  Unless you're driving something relatively expensive or bespoke, you're not going to pay more than a few hundred bucks to get your exhaust fixed.

rated:
do you have any pictures?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017