New Car or Fix the existing one?

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi Fatwallet Experts
I want to say i have benefited tremendously from the knowledge on this forum. Thanks in advance for the advise.
I have 10 year old mini van with 70K miles. I went for oil change and Dealer gave list of things to fix totaling 3K.
I got another quote from Sears with 2K. I checked online and KBB value is 3K.
My question is what would you do?
Quote from dealer with the items cost is as below
2 tires $134
Rear brakes $301
2 CV AXLES $1685
Valve Cover Gasket $254
Wiper Blades $20
Estimate $3041.33+Tax
Sears Estimate
They said breaks are fine all the other stuff except all 4 tires comes to $2000 with taxes

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Buy your parts at rockauto.com, then have a good independent mechanic install them.

Don't ever get work done at the overp... (more)

ArmchairArchitect (Apr. 03, 2017 @ 11:46a) |

Really?  You must be thinking of the children again!!!

snnistle (Apr. 03, 2017 @ 2:10p) |

There's absolutely no wind noise on he freeway under normal conditions. I do live in socal and it gets windy probably 5 ... (more)

calisoldier83 (Apr. 05, 2017 @ 10:38p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Go on nextdoor.com or ask your neighbors for an honest independent mechanic. You can get all of that done for less than 1k.

1) I'd be concerned about what kind of tires they're quoting for a minivan that would only be $134 for 2, installed.

2) I'd be concerned about the validity of a laundry list of stuff that came up, unsolicited, during a routine oil change.

Are you the original owner, to know whether certain maintenance items have been done in the past?

When was the last time the tires were replaced?
When was the last time the brakes were serviced?

"In general" (especially for a car that young) you are better off doing maintenance than getting a different vehicle.

In this case, there is a good chance that you're just looking at a bunch of deferred maintenance that you should have done sooner, anyway, so it's not even a question. (assuming the items/concerns are legitimate)

amd555 said:   Go on nextdoor.com or ask your neighbors for an honest independent mechanic. You can get all of that done for less than 1k.

If he actually needs new tires, that is going to be at least $500-$600, for the set, installed.

At 70k miles, though, it'd be worth knowing the actual maintenance history of the vehicle.
(i.e. were they replaced at 40k-50k, and he probably has another 20-30k on the set?)

Tires is $134 each so total $268. I owned this vehicle from 2007 and have done all routine maintenance as per schedule in the dealership. I remember replacing tires in 2010 i don't remember if i replaced all 4 or 2. that was also done in other dealership.

This is maintenance that will let your car last you another 5 years (assuming timing belt has been done?). I say keep it, at 70k miles it's still a baby.

Also missed
Oil Oan Gasket $254

Oil Pan Gasket $254

passionit said:   Tires is $134 each so total $268. I owned this vehicle from 2007 and have done all routine maintenance as per schedule in the dealership. I remember replacing tires in 2010 i don't remember if i replaced all 4 or 2. that was also done in other dealership.
  If the tires on the vehicle are from 2010, you're driving on 6-7 year old rubber at this point.

I'd definitely consider replacing all 4 as a set, at that age.  (replacing 2 tires at a time is generally not worth it)
You can get a surprising amount of dry rot on tires that old.

I agree with the other poster about talking to an independent mechanic about the other items, though.

Also, has that routine maintenance involved servicing the brakes at something like 50k or 60k miles?
Or have you not needed to work on the brakes, at all, in the 10 years you've owned the vehicle?

Most of that sounds like BS. What kind of car is it?

CV Axles don't usually go out at 70k miles. Even if it needs CV axles, the job sounds especially overpriced. I have bought CV axles for $40 a pair, remanufactured.
Oil Pan gasket - are you leaking oil? If not, or just a little, leave it.
Valve cover gasket - once again, are you actually leaking oil?
tires - do you need them or not? that's something that you should be able to tell just by looking at them.

1) Don't go to the dealer or Sears. Those are the last places I would go.
2) Find an independent, honest mechanic.

If you need tires, order them from TireRack and have a local installer, like an honest mechanic, put them on.

What kind of car is it?

Front tires definitely need replacement back ones have some life left. The way Sears guy explained to me that the CV axle part made up of rubber and at some point it just breaks and then it causes issues he said it is just age of vehicle and if i would have driven more then it would have been better. I also thought same @ overpriced they are front cv axles. Dealership quoted me 2K for it and Sears came back with $800 only for CV axles and 400$ for 4 tires and rest is for all the leaks.
As for the leak it was like that for last 2 years and dealership also said that i can keep driving with it.
Nowdays i smell gas sometimes while driving also motor makes some more noise than it used to be before.

It is Kia Sedona

CV axles cost a little over $40 a piece for your car:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/kia,2007,sedona,3.8l+v6,14401...

A good mechanic will complete the job in under 2 hours.

I will get the quote from independent mechanic. Thanks for all the responses.

passionit said:   Front tires definitely need replacement back ones have some life left.

Replace all four tires together, if you're going to replace any of them.

Seems silly to do anything else, when you're talking about replacing tires for age.

Get referrals from friends and neighbors on a good mechanic.

For cars, and many other things, it's best to go to someone that gets and keeps business on their reputation, not on their name alone.

2 tires $134
Rear brakes $301
2 CV AXLES $1685
Valve Cover Gasket $254
Wiper Blades $20
Estimate $3041.33+Tax

2 Tires, well tires you most likely need. Do you need 4? Depends on the tread on the back or if this Van is 4WD and when you last changed your tires.  (If over 3 years, yes change them)
Rear Brakes - Interesting, most cars use their front brakes first, and you need rears? This one is suspicious.
2 CV Axles - Ummm...is your car not driving at all? CV Boots are one thing ,but whole Axles? This one is most likely bogus.
Valve Cover Gasket - Why? It's most likely leaking a 'little' but $254 for just a valve cover? For $254 my SUV can get the valves adjusted and a new Gasket. (In most cars the valve cover is 8 screws and a $10 gasket)  This one is bogus.
Wiper Blades - Oh come on you can't change a pair of wiper blades yourself for $15?  Well for $20 they are charging you 'normal' but I don't think they are going to use the 'good' blades.  Just OEMs

You don't need a new car, you need to go to a mechanic who won't rip you off.

When you go to an independent mechanic do not present them with the itemized list the dealer first gave you and ask for a quote on all those items. Instead ask them for an inspection of the car with their recommendations on whats required. Then see if their recommendations match the dealers original list.

jerosen said:   When you go to an independent mechanic do not present them with the itemized list the dealer first gave you and ask for a quote on all those items. Instead ask them for an inspection of the car with their recommendations on whats required. Then see if their recommendations match the dealers original list.
  Very well said. My rule is that if a dealer find an issue and provides you a quote, say $1000, you can take 66% off that price. An independent shop is usually about 1/3rd of what the dealer will charge for the same. 

My recent example. My 2012 Hyundai Sonata was quoted as needing a fuel system flush (GDI) and a coolant flush. Took to a shop in my town. I did not need the coolant flush and the GDI service was $70. The dealer wanted $270 for coolant and $230 for the GDI service.

passionit said:   Front tires definitely need replacement back ones have some life left. The way Sears guy explained to me that the CV axle part made up of rubber and at some point it just breaks and then it causes issues he said it is just age of vehicle and if i would have driven more then it would have been better. I also thought same @ overpriced they are front cv axles. Dealership quoted me 2K for it and Sears came back with $800 only for CV axles and 400$ for 4 tires and rest is for all the leaks.
As for the leak it was like that for last 2 years and dealership also said that i can keep driving with it.
Nowdays i smell gas sometimes while driving also motor makes some more noise than it used to be before.

Axles are original on my 2003 car. The only part that is rubber is the boot (cover) -- and I'd only replace preventatively if they are torn and/or cracked.

Yeah, I had an axle last 200k, on the other hand, the one on the other side I had to replace 3 times. If the boots intact and the grease didn't leak out and it's not making noise, you don't need to replace it. Wait for it to break, it probably won't for a long time unless something hits it while driving on the road.

forbin4040 said:   Rear Brakes - Interesting, most cars use their front brakes first, and you need rears? This one is suspicious.Every Subaru that I've owned or worked on (Mom's, brothers) has needed rear brakes before front brakes. YMMV.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
forbin4040 said:   Rear Brakes - Interesting, most cars use their front brakes first, and you need rears? This one is suspicious.
Every Subaru that I've owned or worked on (Mom's, brothers) has needed rear brakes before front brakes. YMMV.

I thought of that, except OP has a minivan, unless it's a 4WD Minivan, the fronts go first.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
forbin4040 said:   Rear Brakes - Interesting, most cars use their front brakes first, and you need rears? This one is suspicious.
Every Subaru that I've owned or worked on (Mom's, brothers) has needed rear brakes before front brakes. YMMV.

Cuz they're AWD's.

this is 2 wheel drive and i have not seen any break degradation so was surprised when that was line item. I learned my lesson on not to tell the other shop the items upfront from other estimate because they just straight up ended up giving me quote for all the items i told them. I had not told them about rear breaks and when i asked about it they said it is fine.

passionit said:   this is 2 wheel drive and i have not seen any break degradation so was surprised when that was line item. I learned my lesson on not to tell the other shop the items upfront from other estimate because they just straight up ended up giving me quote for all the items i told them. I had not told them about rear breaks and when i asked about it they said it is fine.
  You said you went to Sears.  
Sears auto is a 'chain' store.  Chain stores are told to upsell everything including a new engine to get you to pay more money.  It's why they offer cheap oil changes.  They sometimes get you to pay for 'brake fluid flush' even though your brake fluid is perfect.
And of course a Dealer has a set list of prices and usually 200% of a mechanic. (That's why they are called Stealerships)

Go to Yelp.com and find a local mechanic who has good ratings.

I would go to yelp to find reliable mechanic. I don't know if yelp is viable for your location but for big city like mine, people use yelp to rate dentist, mechanics. 

For my 220k mile camry, I bought CV axles from rockauto for $77/ea and paid $180 for a local mechanic to Swap it out. It turned out I needed the rack and pinion replaced. I bought one from local auto part store which gives you money back if you bring back your old part for $150 and paid mechanic about $200 to replace rack and pinion. The price includes front 2 wheel alignment. 

Your tires sound really cheap. I bought  mine from Costco. Michelin costs at least $110/tire. For my rear brakes, it cost me about $45 in parts and labor at mechanic shop. That's for 2 drum brakes. You can buy valve cover gasket from rockauto for less than $30 and replace it yourself. Watch youtube video to see how to do it. 

For car repair, i stay away from chain store and stealerships. They don't give you better service (even the dealer) and charges you way way way more than local independent shops. Look on yelp and ask the mechanic how much they charge for each item. Or if you bring parts, how much they charge only for labor?

Out of all these items, I wouldn't be surprised the only thing you need to change are windshield wipers, brakes and tires, perhaps, valve cover gasket. My CV axles are fine even after 220K miles. I changed it by mistake. I mistook it for rack and pinion. My rear drum brakes were fine and looked brand new even after 130k miles. 
Hi Fatwallet Experts
I want to say i have benefited tremendously from the knowledge on this forum. Thanks in advance for the advise.
I have 10 year old mini van with 70K miles. I went for oil change and Dealer gave list of things to fix totaling 3K.
I got another quote from Sears with 2K. I checked online and KBB value is 3K.
2 tires $134
Rear brakes $301
2 CV AXLES $1685
Valve Cover Gasket $254
Wiper Blades $20
Estimate $3041.33+Tax
Sears Estimate
They said breaks are fine all the other stuff except all 4 tires comes to $2000 with taxes

Tires and brakes, and wipers are regular maintenance items and relatively low cost to replace considering their life. You can do the wipers yourself, and that price seems high for the rear brakes though.

The front CV axles generally last 80-100k miles on dodge and chrysler minivans so that repair will be needed. Often called a halfshaft repair. I would check with a local independent mechanic for a quote. The job does not require any specialty tools that only the dealer would have. The actual cv axle part is about $70 per side for a remanufactured and with the seals and transmission fluid it should be under $250 total for parts. If you use the mopar/chrysler branded cv axles they can be $250 each. I would expect an independent mechanic charges about $1000 for this repair. Paying ~$1400 is going to be much cheaper than a newer car. If you have another type of car the repair costs may be different but the general advice of going with an independent mechanic to save money stays the same.

ach1199 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

Cuz they're AWD's.

I'm not sure what the drive wheels have to do with the braking, all cars have 4 wheel brakes.

OP is at 70K miles not sure if I missed it, but I'd assume his front brakes were changed at some point before this.  Although I shouldn't be a gauge, my wife goes through brakes on her car like the baby goes through diapers.

as stated, OP needs to find an independent shop if he's maintaining a car like this.  Prices seem crazy for some items.  Brakes, tires and wipers don't seem too bad price wise.  However, like everyone is saying, what do you actually need?

gnopgnip said:   Tires and brakes, and wipers are regular maintenance items and relatively low cost to replace considering their life. You can do the wipers yourself, and that price seems high for the rear brakes though.

The front CV axles generally last 80-100k miles on dodge and chrysler minivans so that repair will be needed. Often called a halfshaft repair. I would check with a local independent mechanic for a quote. The job does not require any specialty tools that only the dealer would have. The actual cv axle part is about $70 per side for a remanufactured and with the seals and transmission fluid it should be under $250 total for parts. If you use the mopar/chrysler branded cv axles they can be $250 each. I would expect an independent mechanic charges about $1000 for this repair. Paying ~$1400 is going to be much cheaper than a newer car. If you have another type of car the repair costs may be different but the general advice of going with an independent mechanic to save money stays the same.

Dealer prices for rear breaks are on par. If rear brakes are disc, they typically do pads for $100, and they are probably having you replace the rotors at $100 each, and that's cheap (usually they'll be $150). Tires at $130 a piece installed and balanced is not bad for a minivan, again at a dealer.

The CV axles looks like a rip off.

passionit said:   It is Kia Sedona
  My Condolences....

Chrisk327 said:   I'm not sure what the drive wheels have to do with the braking, all cars have 4 wheel brakes.

OP is at 70K miles not sure if I missed it, but I'd assume his front brakes were changed at some point before this.  Although I shouldn't be a gauge, my wife goes through brakes on her car like the baby goes through diapers.

as stated, OP needs to find an independent shop if he's maintaining a car like this.  Prices seem crazy for some items.  Brakes, tires and wipers don't seem too bad price wise.  However, like everyone is saying, what do you actually need?

The weight distribution impact of having drivetrain components on both ends would have some small impact on the ideal proportioning of braking force.

The thing is that you don't NEED ideal proportioning of braking force until you're doing a maximum effort stop. Either Subaru is designing their rear brakes for the (lighter) usage they actually see or they're designing their proportioning to brake more aggressively on the rears until the greater capability of the fronts is actually needed.

1. Are you relatively rich or cash constrained?
2. Do you still need a van?

If you are relatively rich and don't need a van, sell the sucker and get a more fuel efficient car. Else - go read everybody's else posts on how to go fix it. In theory any vehicle at 70K is relatively "young" but we are talking about a Kia where I don't know if the same thinking applies.

A 2007 Kia Sedona with just 70k only fetches $3k? Trade-in or private party? I feel like that's just too low.

solarUS said:   A 2007 Kia Sedona with just 70k only fetches $3k? Trade-in or private party? I feel like that's just too low.
  Wow that's a van that did not keep it's value over the years.

I just confirmed that value on KBB.com

passionit said:   
I got another quote from Sears with 2K. I checked online and KBB value is 3K.
2 tires $134
Rear brakes $301
2 CV AXLES $1685
Valve Cover Gasket $254

First off, it makes no sense to take a 10 year old Kia to the dealer for service. The only thing reasonable on that list is the tires, but I'd guess they still have plenty of life left. Best to ask a neighbour or friend who knows more about cars to take a look. Kind of doubt they pulled the wheels to check rear brakes and eyeballed the pads. Corner gas station should do them for $100. CV axles shouldn't be too bad on a 70K mile vehicle unless it was beat on or the boots torn. Still just around $200 a side. Valve cover gasket would only be an issue if oil was leaking onto a hot exhaust causing smoke or smell, otherwise don't worry about a small leak. And unless this van is pretty beat up, 3K is a wholesale value.

Is Kia THAT bad?

To change the valve cover on these engines requires the intake manifold to come off, which isn't the easiest thing to do. First time will take you about 3 hours, after that, about an hour and a half to do it all.

Skipping 41 Messages...
solarUS said:   calisoldier83 said:   However, it drives like a champ on the freeway, which is where I am primarily. Trying to run it to the ground and give it my 12 yo son when he's of age.

really? man i can't stand the xB at highway speeds. it's turning like 3000rpm at 70 and the wind noise is off the charts.

There's absolutely no wind noise on he freeway under normal conditions. I do live in socal and it gets windy probably 5 days out of the year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017