• filter:

Kashisti - remember the guy with the terminal brain tumor? - status update

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I am writing this for my friend (of whom I met through FWF via his thread years ago)... I just read an update by his wife on facebook, and he has unfortunately been moved to hospice care. I am not sure what the rules of FWF are but if anyone cares to donate, here's the link: https://www.gofundme.com/2qt5y3jm

I know the previous fundraising campaign wasn't nearly as successful as the current one (not ran by me), but I think the fact that the word "hospice" is in play, it truly matters at this point. I have been in touch with both Chris and his wife, Stacy, over the years and I have unfortunately watched my friend's health diminish and it's been tough. I know a lot of us felt bad for his situation and followed his progress, but now that he's unable to really communicate via speech and writing, I figured a last ditch effort from the FWF community could perhaps bring up his spirit in these dark times.

Thank you.

PS: he, nor his family, asked me to write this. It may be taken down if asked.

Edit: a word from his wife:
I read that whole post. Can you please tell everyone that I will pass it along to Chris and I really appreciated reading the kind thoughts and words. A lot of times those mean so much and cost so little.

Edit to add (because Chris hated it when OPs didn't come back to update their post): Chris passed away at 7:10pm Eastern on April 23, 2017. Thank you everyone for your support.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
From the GoFundMe update. My heart continues to go out to his family.

4/29/2017.
Yesterday Christopher Hines was laid to r... (more)

BostonOne (Apr. 29, 2017 @ 7:22a) |

I got notice that the Gofundme campaign had been ended. $23,867 raised to help support his family. Thanks to Jaytrader f... (more)

BostonOne (Jun. 28, 2017 @ 4:00p) |

Thanks Boston. Thanks to all of you who participated. I actually asked when the money was going to be sent to Stacy, his... (more)

jaytrader (Jun. 28, 2017 @ 4:07p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I remember him.. I was just thinking about his post a few days ago and hoping all is well.

Very sad news.

rated:
any update on his attempts to increase passive income over the past few years? he mentioned it here 

rated:
edit: stupid april fools

rated:
imbatman said:   any update on his attempts to increase passive income over the past few years? he mentioned it here
  Hi, I think the link got broken somehow.

rated:
fixed, FW decided to double up the http in my link

rated:
@Jaytrader, thanks for bringing this up and posting the link to the GoFundMe page.

If I remember things right, the tumor was inoperable because of its location...and Chris was always so appreciative of how FWF members had his family in their thoughts and prayers.

rated:
Correct, FW10001. The tumor is entangled within his brain stem and/or spinal cord, I believe. Surgery has far too large of a risk (risk for a malpractice suit, I'd imagine).

rated:
jaytrader said:   Correct, FW10001. The tumor is entangled within his brain stem and/or spinal cord, I believe. Surgery has far too large of a risk (risk for a malpractice suit, I'd imagine).

Med Mall LEGAL liability is usually of little concerned when you're dealing with the terminally ill. NOW if an otherwise healthy individual is left a paraplegic THEN the ambulance-chasers start coming out of the woodwork...

In this case, I suspect, there is VERY little chance of excising enough cancer tissue to ensure sufficient remission without causing massive neurological trauma and nerve damage. The patient most likely would not survive the procedure or become an invalid for whatever short time they had left.

Personally, if my doc said I had 1 month to live I would take it rather than waste it on a 2% chance of success under the knife & probably never wake up. Heck, theres probably a 2% chance the cancer would spontaneously go into remission anyway...

rated:
Thank you for the update. I wish the news had been better. Best wishes for him and his family. I made a donation because it's clear that his family is in need of assistance.

rated:
jaytrader - thanks for the update. Sorry that it's not good news.

I gave also. Hope it makes things slightly easier for his family.

rated:
Why would anyone give a red to this post? Some folks are completely heartless and need a kick in the back.

rated:
Good luck buddy... 

rated:
Can we set up a donation round?

rated:
Thanks for posting, OP, I just made a donation and shared it on my Facebook page. Hoping others will too. I remember his story and remember checking but the page was not longer making updates. So sad to hear of this, will be praying for Chris and his family.

rated:
OP, thanks for the update. Without it, would not have known/followed up. I do remember reading the original thread. Donated. Wishing them all the very best. Miracles do happen!

rated:
I remember the original thread. Thanks for being a friend, Jay.

rated:
jaytrader said:   Correct, FW10001. The tumor is entangled within his brain stem and/or spinal cord, I believe. Surgery has far too large of a risk (risk for a malpractice suit, I'd imagine).

There's not going to be much malpractice risk for someone who was dying anyway.

What you have to consider is the loss of a bad outcome vs the gain of a good outcome.

For something like this the bad outcome is quadriplegic or dead on the table.  A good outcome buys some more time as there's no realistic chance of getting all the tumor.  The bad outcome is by far the most likely outcome.  If the average life expectancy with surgery is less than the life expectancy without they you shouldn't do it.

rated:
Thank you for the update, jaytrader.
I was just thinking of Chris last week, wondering how he was doing.
Hard to believe it's already been two years since his thread.
My thoughts are with him and his family.

rated:
Jaytrader,

I, too, remember the original thread and also clearly remember how you got crapped on for trying to help someone who was in need.

As it was then, it still is now - ignore the haters, know that there are many of us here who appreciate the update (and just wish it was better news), and don't let the silly folks bring you down.  Those who want to donate will, those who don't won't, and a subset of folks will get their rocks off by giving red to the post.  Ignore and move on knowing your efforts are appreciated by many.

rated:
It's all good. I learned long ago that internet haters are gonna be internet haters. I just thought it was funny that there were no replies and a single rating, a red one, by rufflesinc.

Regardless, I'm sure his family appreciates the donations. Every bit counts I suppose. Hoping he hops out of bed and refunds everyone's money and continues to live a long life...but I realize that is probably a crazy fantasy.

Thanks all.

rated:
Just got this from his wife...

I read that whole post. Can you please tell everyone that I will pass it along to Chris and I really appreciated reading the kind thoughts and words. A lot of times those mean so much and cost so little.

rated:
Thanks for posting as well! I remember his story some. Terrible situation. Glad that there is a funding page so folks can help if they are able.

rated:
It's sad to hear but not unexpected. My thoughts are with Chris and his family.

I been on the interwub long enough now that I have bear the passing of familiar names/alias over the years. Some of you might remember shopliftinginva and a few others. TM1, was also quite sick about 2 years back and I'm not sure she is still with us. I used my real name in professional technical forums as do most others there. I still feel the presence of some who had passed when I happen to query a technical matter and the answer pops up on a post by someone are no longer with us. That still chocks me up sometimes.

rated:
Godspeed Chris

Such an amazing place the FWF can be

rated:
Wow, I remember making suggestions to pick up his spirit and find a solution. And now the bizarre path my life has taken over the last two years. Godspeed indeed Chris, and best wishes for us all!

rated:
Had he lived in Florida...no malpractice suits are not permitted anymore unless you have children under 24 and are married.
This was done by Jeb BUSH as a big wet kiss to the insurance companies who gave him millions to run for president.
He convinced the stupid Florida public that Medicare and Medicaid paid awards to bad surgeons and this law would
lower the cost of Medicare.....people believed this liar.

rated:
Why the focus on my malpractice comment? Who cares? Sorry I used that term too generally...

rated:
jaytrader said:   Surgery has far too large of a risk (risk for a malpractice suit, I'd imagine).

My dad is dealing with something very similar right now.
(a brain tumor growing back in a very invasive/deeply penetrating shape, after having had a large but operable tumor removed 20 years ago)

The discussion about inoperability was never about malpractice in his case.

It was all about the practical guarantee of significant loss of quality-of-life and ability to care for yourself.
So you do whatever chemo you are able to tolerate and hope for the best (while making the most of the time you have left).

I imagine it was a similar conversation here.

This situation hits really close to home, and he and his family have my deepest sympathy and prayers.

rated:
belgique said:   Had he lived in Florida...no malpractice suits are not permitted anymore unless you have children under 24 and are married.

the guy is married and has 4 kids under 24.

rated:
king0fSpades said:   Why would anyone give a red to this post? Some folks are completely heartless and need a kick in the back.
  What ever God (these red giving folks believe in) have mercy for these folks.

At best, they could have remained neutral if they did not believe this is the correct place to post this thread.

rated:
I have seen a major uptick in the Anonymous donations, and for that I am grateful. You're all very considerate and I know Chris and his family are very appreciative. Thank you, everyone, on behalf of Chris and his family. You really are human beings behind those keyboards and screens...

ETA: in no way to I represent Chris or his family. I just assumed people here would care, and I'm glad my assumption was [generally] correct. Correct assumptions are rare these days.

rated:
I remember the original post and am so sorry to hear the update. When I saw that Chris is only 33, it totally broke my heart as our oldest is the same age. Not that ANY age is a great one for that diagnosis but for one so young, it's heart-wrenching.

rated:
Hey Chris -

Thanks for being so open about a tough situation. I don't relish the prospect of thinking about my own mortality, which is why I've rarely done it. Your honesty has helped me better plan for the future of my own family. Thank you.

You and yours are in my prayers. I wish you much peace.

rated:
Donated and Bump...
I do remember the original thread...Life is too short

rated:
belgique said:   obnoxious comments with annoying ellipses and bolded text

In case anybody else wonders how to block someone, FW makes it easy; just click on their user name and you'll find it there.  Obnoxious comments PLUS lack of grammar and punctuation PLUS annoying bold text finally led me to this for the first time, after more than a decade here!

rated:
jaytrader said:   I have seen a major uptick in the Anonymous donations, and for that I am grateful. You're all very considerate and I know Chris and his family are very appreciative. Thank you, everyone, on behalf of Chris and his family. You ...

Yeah, that's really cool.  About 50 donations made of $10-$100 each since you posted this.

rated:
I remember the original post and thread. Thanks for updating us and helping to raise money for his family. I hope he finds peace and his family finds the strength they will need to get through this.

rated:
Been years since I've posted, and I wish his family the best. Good on you, jaytrader.

Skipping 19 Messages...
rated:
Thanks Boston. Thanks to all of you who participated. I actually asked when the money was going to be sent to Stacy, his wife, and it appears they ended it. Hopefully it'll help, while it won't bring Chris back.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017