• filter:

MERRILL + Visa Signature Credit Card 50,000 points/$3000 spend offer is still alive over the phone

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
EDIT: They pulled the online applications but you can still apply over the phone : 1-866-751-1257

This popular offer is back

Link 
Earn 50,000 bonus points
after spending at least $3,000 on purchases within first 90 days

To check on the status of your application, please wait at least two hours after you apply. Login to the following website: bankofamerica.com/cardappstatus
For reconsideration call 1- (866) 224-7803 
A Guide to redeeming Merrill Points

Thanks DoC 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
dumb question: I can only apply points to buy a ticket through Merrill's portal right? I can't transfer the points into ... (more)

Wise56 (Jul. 10, 2017 @ 11:40p) |

Correct.

daw4888 (Jul. 11, 2017 @ 9:13a) |

If you are a big client with Merrill you probably have access to BoA Preferred Rewards and the 2.625% Travel Rewards car... (more)

calwatch (Jul. 16, 2017 @ 2:14a) |

The steps for maximizing the value on the Merrill Lynch travel portal are as follows:

A $500 travel credit costs 25,000 points. It is good for 1 ticket (one-way or round-trip) for 1 person.

Assuming you spent exactly $3,000 to trigger the 50,000 point bonus, you will have 53,000 points. (If you went a little over $3,000, just substitute your amount)
To extract the most value, you need to book 2 separate flights. It can be 2 round trips or 2 one-ways. This can be done with 2 separate bookings or by booking for 2 people at the same time.

If booking 2 separate times, you just have to make sure you will still have 25,000 points left over after your first booking. So your first flight can't cost more than $530. Then your second flight, to get the most value from your remaining 25,000 points, can be anything over $500. You just have to pay for the amount that goes beyond your point value. Example:
Flight 1: $516 = 26,600 points
Flight 2: $720 = 26,400 points + $206
You get $1000 worth out of your points.

But if you are booking 2 flights by booking for 2 people at once, it looks like you have more flexibility when going over the $500 flight price. When you first search for a flight when booking for two people, it will, for instance, say that a $600 flight will cost 35,000 points per person. Obviously, you don't have 70,000 points. But when you go all the way through the booking process, the default payment option at the end is 50,000 points plus $200 ($100 overage per person).

Essentially, the easiest way to get full value out of this is for two people to travel together on any itinerary over $500 per person.

Also of note, they actually give you a $5 cushion, so a $510.12 flight will cost 25,512 points, instead of 26,012 points. The $5 cushion is not included in any of the calculations above.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Any word on churning this? Close/reopen, or leave open the old one and apply again?

rated:
It says "we can not make a decision right now, we will get back to you with our decision"

Is there a reconsideration line to call?

rated:
fleetwoodmac said:   It says "we can not make a decision right now, we will get back to you with our decision"

Is there a reconsideration line to call?

No need to worry.
It practically says that for everyone.
You can check the status of you application here: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/apply-credit-cards/public/appli...
Suggest you wait for 24 hours or so.

rated:
jaytrader said:   Any word on churning this? Close/reopen, or leave open the old one and apply again?
No DP on that but no harm in trying since the offer codes are different.
Previous offer code: VACSTX
Current offer code: BAABZY

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
jaytrader said:   Any word on churning this? Close/reopen, or leave open the old one and apply again?

Actually, there are some write ups on DoC about churning...

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/merrill-churnable-probably/
Comments here: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-merrill-link-50000-merrill-poi...

rated:
jaytrader said:   
marcopolomle said:   

Actually, there are some write ups on DoC about churning...

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/merrill-churnable-probably/ 
Comments here: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-merrill-link-50000-merrill-poi...

I stand corrected regarding DP.
However, it looks like a huge PIA to get a second card.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   This popular offer is back

Link 
Earn 50,000 bonus points
after spending at least $3,000 on purchases within first 90 days

To check on the status of your application, please wait at least two hours after you apply. Login to the following website:
bankofamerica.com/cardappstatus or call 800.546.6649

Thanks DoC

Thanks OP for sharing this!
Anyone can suggest what these points can be used for?
Thanks in advance!

rated:
$500 in cash, or up to $1000 in flights. Read the other threads for more info.

rated:
Points are good either 1:1cent for cash, or anywhere from 1:1cent to 1:2cents for flights. Buy an exactly $500 ticket on the right airline and you can get that ticket for 25,000 points.

rated:
dealgain said:     Thanks OP for sharing this!
Anyone can suggest what these points can be used for?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1543492?showmessage=197...

rated:
daw4888 said:   $500 in cash, or up to $1000 in flights. Read the other threads for more info.

Have to use their website for the $1000 in flights

Does the cash bonus for the Platinum BOA apply?

rated:
Today is the last day for 75,000 AMEX platinum at the lower annual fee.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-platinum-signup-bonus-increas...

(Don't let title of URL fool you, read the text)

Anyway, it seems like the Merrill deal is better because you get $1,000 travel rewards right? The AMEX is $750 but with $450 annual fee, it's only $350. Granted the Platinum has more perks but am I understanding this correctly? I don't know which deal to take.

rated:
vickh said:   
daw4888 said:   $500 in cash, or up to $1000 in flights. Read the other threads for more info.

Have to use their website for the $1000 in flights

It's in the Quick Summary above.
Also look here

rated:
S197 said:   Today is the last day for 75,000 AMEX platinum at the lower annual fee.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-platinum-signup-bonus-increas...

(Don't let title of URL fool you, read the text)

Anyway, it seems like the Merrill deal is better because you get $1,000 travel rewards right? The AMEX is $750 but with $450 annual fee, it's only $350. Granted the Platinum has more perks but am I understanding this correctly? I don't know which deal to take.

$750-450=$300. And, annual fee is increasing at the end of the month, so if one plans to keep the card, you'll be net negative even after travel credits come next march.

rated:
ML+ has no travel perks like the AMEX plat. product (like lounge access etc.)

rated:
Get both. Cancel the plt after Jan and keep the Merrill.

rated:
vickh said:   Have to use their website for the $1000 in flights

Does the cash bonus for the Platinum BOA apply?

Yes, but it's built like any other credit card travel booking website, so you are getting pretty much all the flights you can get on Orbitz or some other similar site.

No. It's serviced by BoA, but it's a Merrill card, so it is not treated like a BoA credit card with BoA bonuses.
vickh said:   ML+ has no travel perks like the AMEX plat. product (like lounge access etc.)

It has no annual fee, so you shouldn't expect any travel perks.

You can poo-poo this card all you want, but those of us that have seen the heyday of credit card signup bonuses recognize that this is one of (if not the best) sign up bonuses going right now.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Get both. Cancel the plt after Jan and keep the Merrill.
  Unless you absolutely need the MR points, I'd wait until the next 100k offer. Even if the MR account gets frozen, that's at LEAST another $250 in value. Only because you can't churn that stuff anymore.

rated:
jaytrader said:   
  Unless you absolutely need the MR points, I'd wait until the next 100k offer. Even if the MR account gets frozen, that's at LEAST another $250 in value. Only because you can't churn that stuff anymore.

100k offer from MR?

rated:
meade18 said:   You can poo-poo this card all you want, but those of us that have seen the heyday of credit card signup bonuses recognize that this is one of (if not the best) sign up bonuses going right now.
  Agreed. Worst case, it's $500 in true cash, which is what I did - I have more miles and points than I know what to do with at this point.

rated:
gvayl said:   
jaytrader said:   

100k offer from MR?

There have been a couple 100k Plat MR offers over the last few months. I snagged both--one for me, one for wife. Unfortunately both of our MR accounts were frozen for a couple of months, but not a huge deal as we didn't need the points any time soon.

rated:
Tried this one a couple days back and got deferred.  Bunch of BS I have good credit .

rated:
DamnoIT said:   Tried this one a couple days back and got deferred.  Bunch of BS I have good credit .

Deferred? Meaning you don't have an answer yet?

Don't sweat it. The vast majority of data points show that people haven't gotten an immediate approval on this card. I didn't receive immediate approval. A few days later, they gave me an $18,000 credit limit.

rated:
Looks like it's dead again

rated:
Bend3r said:   Looks like it's dead again
Yup, they pulled the online applications but you can still apply over the phone..

rated:
Glad I made DW apply when it came back, she missed it the first time.

rated:
Applied 3/29 and got no instant approval. Just looked and the card is in my BoA account listing.

rated:
I searched for award flights and found a $288 one way trip, but it costs 25k points each (50k points for 2 people). I thought the 50k points were worth $1000 of travel. Am I doing something wrong?

rated:
matrix5k said:   I searched for award flights and found a $288 one way trip, but it costs 25k points each (50k points for 2 people). I thought the 50k points were worth $1000 of travel. Am I doing something wrong?

it has been discussed earlier on this thread.  Tickets (one way or roundtrip) upto $500 costs the same number of points.  So if your ticket price is less than $500 ..  you basically lose value of the points.  If you over $500 .. you basically get 1c per point vs. 2c for $amount above $500.  In your case, if you need roundtrip ticket - each ticket would be $576 .... you might get much better value using 2 round trip tickets.   

rated:
matrix5k said:   I searched for award flights and found a $288 one way trip, but it costs 25k points each (50k points for 2 people). I thought the 50k points were worth $1000 of travel. Am I doing something wrong?
  up to $1000. 

25k points will buy your $288 ticket, or a $500 ticket. 

rated:
Received my Card today.

It has an offer for 0% BT till April 2018 (posting May 2017) with 3% BT fee.

There is another offer: APR for Cash Advances (Direct Deposit and Check Cash Advances) for 0% BT till April 2018 (posting May 2017) with 3% BT fee.

Is it same or different than the first offer except that you can ask for a check or DD into you bank account?

rated:
Applied a week ago and got no instant approval. Checked status today and it's still under review. Should I be worried?

rated:
thuyswallet said:   Applied a week ago and got no instant approval. Checked status today and it's still under review. Should I be worried?
Yes, I'll be worried.
They have started cracking down on this hard.
Read here and/or FT thread for more info.
Mark O said: Got an email yesterday my card was shipping and just got a call today that the card was approved in error and I already have too many BOA cards (I have 2 others). Pretty sure they are freaking out about the leak and trying to shut down what they can – anyone else have this happen?

rated:
Mine just went to approved today. Only BofA card the applicant has, and only BofA account as well. Thanks OP.

rated:
I have a high income, almost perfect credit score and was declined due to not having enough balances with Merrill Lynch. $500 is a nice bonus but be careful you get a credit score ding for no reason. I have not opened a credit line other than a car loan in the past 2 years as well. Also, calling for reconsideration got no where as all they did was repeat that I do not carry enough balances with them.

rated:
What's the number for customer service and/or reconsideration? I applied on 3/30 late evening and still under review.

rated:
sap283 said:   What's the number for customer service and/or reconsideration? I applied on 3/30 late evening and still under review.
Phone # 1- (866) 224-7803 or 1-800-354-0401
For status check login to the website: bankofamerica.com/cardappstatus

rated:
Applied 3/30 and still in review also...

Skipping 25 Messages...
rated:
If you are a big client with Merrill you probably have access to BoA Preferred Rewards and the 2.625% Travel Rewards card, which blows this one out of the water. If Preferred Rewards applied to the points earned then that would make it an up to 3.5% card, but without that it's weak sauce after the sign up bonus.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017