• filter:

The Cons of being an authorized user and new relationships

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
My now ex boyfriend made me his authorized user of his Chase credit card, without telling Me.
I am a person with disabilities on a fixed income. My boyfriend gave me, what I thought was his credit card to use. When I saw my name on it, I freaked. He reassured me that it is done all the time, and not to worry." Go get your hair done", he told me with love and confidence. What a fool, I Was.
Falling in to love, while having very little money is a dangerous place to be. He most likely had good intentions, and I was naive about the credit card scene, not using one for some years. So, as the story goes, I am now overwhelmed with my debt, and I just don't know how to proceed from here.

Thank you for you help.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Being an authorized user does not contribute any debt to yourself. Are you sure he made you an authorized user on his card, or did he sign you up for your own account? Those are two totally differnt things.

If you truly are an authorized user on his account, you have zero responsibility legally to pay back the debt. Its totally in his name.

rated:
Or, It is the case that he signed you up for a new credit card (made himself an AU) and gave you your Primary Card. All the while slipping some of his debts to your account?
I ask so because you say my debt............the debt cannot be your responsibility if he truly handed you a true AU card.

rated:
bethsorama said:   " Go get your hair done"...I am now overwhelmed with my debt.
Expensive hairdo.

Seriously - are the bills arriving in your name?  How much are we talking about here?  Are his charges in there too, or are they only your charges?  

rated:
As said earlier, if you are only an authorized user (and not a co-signer on the account). it is not your legal responsibility.

However, if he opened an account in your name without your consent, it is a serious matter. Normally, you would report that as identity theft. The fact you actually used the card may make this murky.

rated:
can't u just call the number in the back of the card? Tell them bluntly.. i broke up with my ex & i want my card closed?

rated:
prozario said:   can't u just call the number in the back of the card? Tell them bluntly.. i broke up with my ex & i want my card closed?
  You dont need a reason to close the account. Regardless, you still owe the current balance (plus pending charges and interest as applicable) even after you close the account (assuming OP is legally liable to begin with).

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
prozario said:   can't u just call the number in the back of the card? Tell them bluntly.. i broke up with my ex & i want my card closed?
  You dont need a reason to close the account. Regardless, you still owe the current balance (plus pending charges and interest as applicable) even after you close the account (assuming OP is legally liable to begin with).

If there was shady stuff where he lied about being au - obviously damage is done.  Either way call the CC company, find out whether she is an AU or not.  Either way close the card asap to stop any further issue.

rated:
Years ago (2005), right after I graduated, my mom wanted to buy me a couple suits for my first job from Men's Warehouse and she signed up for the store credit card. They asked her if she wanted to put me on the card so I could buy stuff in the future without her and she said yes. I eventually got a mens warehouse credit card with my name on it in the mail, as did my mom, but she got the bills. I don't know if it was because it was done during the initial application process or what, but that account (now closed) is on at least one of my credit reports (listed as closed) even though I was only set up as an authorized user.

I'm sure in some cases, the authorized user doesn't have anything show up on their credit report. And in this case, we honestly don't know what happened because it sounds like the OP doesn't know what happened. But I do have to say, based on my experience, it IS possible for an authorized user to have the card show up on their report. I'm not sure how it happens, or if my mom just checked the wrong box, but it is possible.

rated:
meade18 said:   But I do have to say, based on my experience, it IS possible for an authorized user to have the card show up on their report.

A CC showing up on your CR is not the same as you being liable for the bills. In fact, cards that you are an AU (not co-signer) routinely show up on your CR.
On a recent TU CR, the primary accounts are listed as "Responsibility: Individual Account" whereas for accounts on which I am only an AU, the listing says "Responsibility: Authorized Account".

rated:
fwuser12 said:   
meade18 said:   But I do have to say, based on my experience, it IS possible for an authorized user to have the card show up on their report.
  A CC showing up on your CR is not the same as you being liable for the bills. In fact, cards that you are an AU (not co-signer) routinely show up on your CR.
On a recent TU CR, the primary accounts are listed as "Responsibility: Individual Account" whereas for accounts on which I am only an AU, the listing says "Responsibility: Authorized Account".

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely check for that next time I run the report.

rated:
prozario said:   ...Either way call the CC company, find out whether she is an AU or not.

A quick look at the statement would probably be a good first step.  I've never seen an authorized user listed on a statement.

rated:
meade18 said:   I'm sure in most cases, the authorized user doesn't have anything show up on their credit report.

This varies by issuer, but most issuers do report AUs and those accounts show up on the AU's credit report. These accounts do contribute to their credit score, even though the individual is not responsible for the bills. This has changed slightly in recent years as the FICO models have been updated to differentiate between primary and authorized users, but it is still a factor.

In fact, there are plenty of threads on FW regarding folks trying to help family members build credit by adding them as AUs as well as people who are trying to get an AU account removed from their credit reports because it is hurting their score.

rated:
Are you aware that we are showing OP how to not pay for their debts?

Can you imagine if this was "Chatterweb's" husband? We just taught him to screw her credit up.

rated:
ex: It's your debt too.

Lie.

rated:
doveroftke said:   
meade18 said:   I'm sure in most cases, the authorized user doesn't have anything show up on their credit report.

This varies by issuer, but most issuers do report AUs and those accounts show up on the AU's credit report. These accounts do contribute to their credit score, even though the individual is not responsible for the bills. This has changed slightly in recent years as the FICO models have been updated to differentiate between primary and authorized users, but it is still a factor.

In fact, there are plenty of threads on FW regarding folks trying to help family members build credit by adding them as AUs as well as people who are trying to get an AU account removed from their credit reports because it is hurting their score.

Thanks for the clarification! I updated my post to say "some" cases instead of "most." Green for you 

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
prozario said:   ...Either way call the CC company, find out whether she is an AU or not.

A quick look at the statement would probably be a good first step.  I've never seen an authorized user listed on a statement.

Not as the addressee, but we have a couple that separate the transactions - cards that issue a separate number for each AU. For us, that's an Amex and a Capital One. So it is possible to see an AU listed by name somewhere on the statement.

rated:
SlimTim said:   
dcwilbur said:   

Not as the addressee, but we have a couple that separate the transactions - cards that issue a separate number for each AU. For us, that's an Amex and a Capital One. So it is possible to see an AU listed by name somewhere on the statement.

Yeah, my capital one quicksilver statement separates the transactions with primary and AUs in their own sections. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017