• filter:

Crazy Roommate Troubles

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm wondering what I should do, or what I should be aware of, to protect my time and money.  Back in September, I moved into a new apartment with a new roommate and new landlord, both of whom I just met.  Initially, they both seemed like people I would get along with.  Then after about a month, my roommate started behaving very strangely, following me around bossing me around, yelling at me for all sorts of non-offensive things (like offering to do dishes or pick up items from the store, which I though were polite).  Later, my roommate told me that she has mental health issues, keeping her up at night, causing her to try to control other people, making her irritable, etc.  Problem is, my landlord seems to think that my roommate is an angel and asks me to move out every time my roommate complains.  My roommate is now accusing me of keeping her up at night and in the early evening (she goes to bed at 6PM) by "walking" in the apartment (not even by making significant noise, just by "walking"), and other similarly crummy unreasonable complaints.  I think my roommate enjoys complaining to the landlord because she knows it stresses me out.  Landlord keeps telling me that my relationship with my roommate is not sustainable and that she plans to evict both of us, but I have no clue how...  We are on a lease together.  I'm literally broke so I cannot afford to move.  And I am taking 5 classes in school in a program that expects an A average.  In other words, I have no time for this.  I think I might just try to ignore them both.  What is the worst that could happen if I just ignored by roommate and landlord?  What would you do if you were me?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
i escaped a bad situation doing just this. they had me in an empty dorm room 2 days later, and they just add it to the t... (more)

MDfive21 (Apr. 02, 2017 @ 11:43a) |

It was downvoted into oblivion because it was horrible advice. The police are for emergencies. The courts are for legiti... (more)

meade18 (Apr. 03, 2017 @ 12:35p) |

Because nobody every watches movies that were made before they were born, right?

T800 (Apr. 06, 2017 @ 12:40p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Look for somewhere else to live.

rated:
wormbogep said:     And I am taking 5 classes in school in a program that expects an A average.

I would love to hear about this program. Is this a program where A is the new C and they award A+, A++ etc.

rated:
You're in an amazing position. If the landlord is saying things about moving out, tell him. Okay, just need your half of the deposit back and let out of lease at the end of the month without extra charge.

rated:
wormbogep said:   I'm wondering what I should do, or what I should be aware of, to protect my time and money.  Back in September, I moved into a new apartment with a new roommate and new landlord, both of whom I just met.  Initially, they both seemed like people I would get along with.  Then after about a month, my roommate started behaving very strangely, following me around bossing me around, yelling at me for all sorts of non-offensive things (like offering to do dishes or pick up items from the store, which I though were polite).  Later, my roommate told me that she has mental health issues, keeping her up at night, causing her to try to control other people, making her irritable, etc.  Problem is, my landlord seems to think that my roommate is an angel and asks me to move out every time my roommate complains.  My roommate is now accusing me of keeping her up at night and in the early evening (she goes to bed at 6PM) by "walking" in the apartment (not even by making significant noise, just by "walking"), and other similarly crummy unreasonable complaints.  I think my roommate enjoys complaining to the landlord because she knows it stresses me out.  Landlord keeps telling me that my relationship with my roommate is not sustainable and that she plans to evict both of us, but I have no clue how...  We are on a lease together.  I'm literally broke so I cannot afford to move.  And I am taking 5 classes in school in a program that expects an A average.  In other words, I have no time for this.  I think I might just try to ignore them both.  What is the worst that could happen if I just ignored by roommate and landlord?  What would you do if you were me?
Forgot to quote op

rated:
OP, get the hell out of there asap. Look up "Borderline Personality Disorder". Your roommate has it. You're in the beginning stage of living a nightmare of epic proportions.

GET OUT.

rated:
Time to move.

I'm assuming when you say landlord, you mean another roommate who has sole responsibilitiy for the apartment lease. Otherwise, why would they care?

rated:
how old are you, OP? If you have been around enough to know what's "normal" human behavior, and what you're experiencing does not qualify...then i would definitely just get out of there.

technically, legally (which is [probably what you came here for) - the landlord cannot throw you out without cause. if your rent is paid (do NOT pay through the roommate, but directly - and get a receipt!) and you don't break any other rules, then your LL is generally unable to act on their apparent, exhibited bias.

in the future, frankly - get to know somebody before rooming with them! it's a big step, and one you should never make with a stranger.

rated:
Get a restraining order on the current roomate and become more crazy back, call the cops, sue them or move out.  Once you have police reports on your side the LL will probally see the other tenant in a less favorable light but you better be ready with another roomate or be ready to get packing.  

rated:
24 hours in a day. Use some of em to scrap together some move out money. Wouldn't stay there a day longer than I had to in your situation. Get out ASAP... it just isn't worth the hassle.

rated:
Does your school have any housing? Perhaps talk to that department and see if they can help out in this tough spot.

rated:
solarUS said:   technically, legally (which is [probably what you came here for) - the landlord cannot throw you out without cause. if your rent is paid (do NOT pay through the roommate, but directly - and get a receipt!) and you don't break any other rules, then your LL is generally unable to act on their apparent, exhibited bias.
Keep in mind that such legalities do not stop a landlord from attempting to evict tenants without a valid cause.  I've had it happen.

I feel like the OP doesn't have the emotional and financial wherewithal to fight an eviction.  The quickest way out is to get out.

rated:
Just wait it out.  Surely it'll get better!*

*Sarcasm

rated:
Get help from a local landlord/tenant assistance agency. There are many throughout the country. Here's the one in my area for example: http://bni-maryland.org/ A long time ago they really helped me out--A legal professional affiliated with them wrote a letter on my behalf to my landlord and they gave me a great deal of advice specific to my situation and jurisdiction, all for no charge.

rated:
This may not have a legal solution. Are you working to pay the rent yourself or is someone paying the rent for you?

rated:
Do you live in a one-party consent law state? If so, maybe you could record some of the craziness in case things go south. In any case, I'd start documenting everything to build a case as a protective measure.

rated:
UAIron said:   Do you live in a one-party consent law state? If so, maybe you could record some of the craziness in case things go south. In any case, I'd start documenting everything to build a case as a protective measure.

Nothing says "I'm the sane one" like an extensive dossier of daily interactions and recordings.

The only rational & adult thing to do is to leave. These people & this environment are probably not fixable, and certainly not OP's problem.

rated:
slip some Prozac in her drink or food every night

rated:
roommate or housemate?

rated:
I have just three words to say "Single White Female"

Get out while you still can

rated:
Biggest friend is your phone. Record EVERYTHING on video and send to landlord. Place police reports. Meaning walk around with your cell phone on record ALL the time. Leave on camera at ALL times. Look on your lease about "quiet enjoyment" This will be a small lesson you will experience in life and one day will admire how you survived . Do a go fundme to get a new place. record , record, record because landlord does have a responsibility and should not ding your credit if you have valid cause to demand a safe place to live. Act as if this person will kill you in your options to get out. CRAZY is the new protected clause unless you have proof save yourself Sorry you are going through this

rated:
Wizard83 said:   I have just three words to say "Single White Female"

OP too young to know SWF was a movie. Hey OP? +1 moving (GTFO)

rated:
wormbogep said:   protect my time and money.  
moved into a new apartment with a new roommate
Initially, seemed like people I would get along with.  
Then roommate started behaving very strangely, bossing me around, yelling at me
my roommate ..try to control other people,
my roommate enjoys complaining ...she ..stresses me out.  
We are ..together.  
I'm literally broke so I cannot afford to move. 

Are you sure you are not talking about your wife?

rated:
Move out asap.  Most likely, your landlord was scared of your roommate, and she doesn't want to evict her since your roommate wasn't targeting her.  And your roommate isn't crazy enough to trouble your landlord because she doesn't want to be evicted.  You are not the first person your roommate is targeting.  Your landlord will just look for another tenet after you leave, she doesn't care.

I was in similar situation before, the problem was my landlord who might have bipolar. There is no way to improve the situation even if you lock yourself in your room all the time because she would seek you out. The time you spend trying to kick your roommate out would be more than the time to look for a new place.

rated:
Consider calling the battered womans shelter. They can point you in the right direction. You are in an abusive housing situation.

The erratic antics of the lady could escalate and you could end up spending a night in jail.

I assume you are not formally on a written lease. Call your local shelter and keep us posted.

rated:
DamnoIT said:   Get a restraining order on the current roomate and become more crazy back, call the cops, sue them or move out.  Once you have police reports on your side the LL will probally see the other tenant in a less favorable light but you better be ready with another roomate or be ready to get packing.  
  Ironically, the only practically sensible legal advice in this thread has been downvoted into oblivion.

IANYL

rated:
catanpirate said:   Does your school have any housing? Perhaps talk to that department and see if they can help out in this tough spot.
  i escaped a bad situation doing just this. they had me in an empty dorm room 2 days later, and they just add it to the tuition/fees bill so no cash needed right away.

rated:
Crazytree said:   
DamnoIT said:   Get a restraining order on the current roomate and become more crazy back, call the cops, sue them or move out.  Once you have police reports on your side the LL will probally see the other tenant in a less favorable light but you better be ready with another roomate or be ready to get packing.  
  Ironically, the only practically sensible legal advice in this thread has been downvoted into oblivion.

IANYL

It was downvoted into oblivion because it was horrible advice. The police are for emergencies. The courts are for legitimate legal questions. They are not the mommy and daddy of two adult roommates that can't work out their problems. I don't understand why there are so many people who's first thought when something isn't just peachy is to involve the government.

rated:
ClearanceItem said:   
Wizard83 said:   I have just three words to say "Single White Female"

OP too young to know SWF was a movie. Hey OP? +1 moving (GTFO)

Because nobody every watches movies that were made before they were born, right?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017