Penfed Mortgage (purchase)

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Anyone recently (last 6-12m) closed a mortgage with Penfed. Their 5/5 ARM product is best for my situation.....but we only have right at 6 weeks to get it closed on this purchase. I used them a couple years back for a refi, and they were rather slow (took nearly the full 60 day lock period).

Hoping that purchases are either prioritized, or service has gotten a little more prompt.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Our processor was, not good. There was total radio silence after the closing department told me we'd be pushed back a fe... (more)

kjl1977 (Jun. 15, 2017 @ 11:40a) |

I agree PenFed's customer service has crashed and burned. Just like the PenFed blimp! (Too Soon?)

astrosgp (Jun. 15, 2017 @ 2:09p) |

Only the Mortgage service sucks -- I have never had issues with member services at all.

I did open a NavyFed account as... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Jun. 16, 2017 @ 4:06a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nothing has changed. I started with them on a recent purchase and had to go elsewhere to close on time.

otaymiester said:   Nothing has changed. I started with them on a recent purchase and had to go elsewhere to close on time.

Dang. What's their deal?

They used to be awesome about 10 years ago, their service completely tanked.

I'm in process trying to get a conventional 15 year mortgage right now - they are extremely slow, luckily my closing date is far off.

Going to bump this thread. I'm in the market as well and got my pre-qual with Penfed. Anyone have any suggestions on good lenders these days, in terms of performance at closing?

Thanks!

I was looking into doing a HELOC. Was embarassing how inept they seemed, comedy of errors. I wound up going with another lender.

If you're eligible for PendFed, you're likely also eligible for Navy Federal CU. They have similar 5/5 ARM products and are faster

I'm doing a HELOC with them right now. They are definitely taking their sweet time with it. Application was sent to underwritng on 3/21/2017. I called them on Thursday of last week and they said to expect something toward the end of this week!

imbatman said:   If you're eligible for PendFed, you're likely also eligible for Navy Federal CU. They have similar 5/5 ARM products and are faster
  NFCU gave me a 60-day lock and closed in about 30 days.  Customer service was excellent too.  They made me feel like I was their only customer.

imbatman said:   If you're eligible for PendFed, you're likely also eligible for Navy Federal CU. They have similar 5/5 ARM products and are faster

Everyone is eligible for PenFed with a small $5 donation to the National Military Family Organization. For NFCU you actually need a military connection or a time machine so you can go back and join whatever that CU was in San Diego that was acquired by NFCU circa 2010.

Kevo171 said:   

Everyone is eligible for PenFed with a small $5 donation to the National Military Family Organization. For NFCU you actually need a military connection or a time machine so you can go back and join whatever that CU was in San Diego that was acquired by NFCU circa 2010.

you're right, my bad.

Kevo171 said:   

Anyone can join Navy Federal by first joining the San Diego Council of the Navy League.  There's an enormous thread on this on CreditBoards.

I have used Penfed for the past three mortgages, but this time had a tight closing deadline since we will be out of the country after a certain date. We decided to go with Navy Federal. The spread in rates between the two are much lower than in the past and the customer service is such a difference. Our processor has never failed to answer the phone or respond to emails within a few minutes.

sailinlight said:   I have used Penfed for the past three mortgages, but this time had a tight closing deadline since we will be out of the country after a certain date. We decided to go with Navy Federal. The spread in rates between the two are much lower than in the past and the customer service is such a difference. Our processor has never failed to answer the phone or respond to emails within a few minutes.

Navy Fed has a 1% origination fee, that Penfed waives for the 5/5 product. That's the big difference. Nearly $4k in my situation.

I think I'm going to jump on the 5/5 with Penfed. Devil that I know...  I also don't have a military connection, so Navy is out for me. Good news is that our closing is about 60 days out, so 15 more than Penfed demands.

Their customer service on my HELOC was awful, but it was a couple of years ago. I couldn't get a response and when I called to see how things were going and that no one has called me yet, I was told that they were very busy, but not in a polite way.

My guess is that they reduced their staffing which continues to hurt their customer service, but that is just a guess.

I'm in the middle of it now.  My mortgage closes in June.  My experience has been horrible.  Asked for the same thing over and over.  One rep denied getting 2 specific emails from me even though she responded to one.  They have moved me to a manager to handle my account, but so far I would never use them again.

Maybe in the next 5 weeks they turn it around.

Do either NFCU or Penfed even have competitive rates on most of their products? I got the same 30 year rate with no origination fee on Zillow mortgages that NFCU is offering for 1.0 point.

The only decent product is the 5/5 arm that covers closing costs.

I suggest that you call NFCU because they offered me two options over the phone: one with a point and one without.  Last time I got quotes from Zillow, I googled the top result and their Yelp profile looked very shady to me.

It does look like Navy SERIOUSLY loosened up their requirements recently though, I didn't qualify before and now I do.  (as a Honorably Discharged veteran)  They used to not include the Coast Guard, Army or Air Force unless you were stationed in specific locations.  Now it is pretty much all veterans, active duty and DoD Civilians.  They even added Air and Army NG.  

It used to be a pretty complicated Q&A to determine eligibility.

otaymiester said:   Anyone can join Navy Federal by first joining the San Diego Council of the Navy League.  There's an enormous thread on this on CreditBoards.
In doing a quick google search, seems this method has been discussed in other threads on here before, but like the above it was mentioned in passing in a thread discussing some financial product/deal (that may or may not have been NFCU specific). IMO the info above should be its own thread on here (the way it is on CreditBoards, MyFico, DoC, etc).

elektronic said:   Do either NFCU or Penfed even have competitive rates on most of their products? I got the same 30 year rate with no origination fee on Zillow mortgages that NFCU is offering for 1.0 point.

The only decent product is the 5/5 arm that covers closing costs.

The 5/5 is the only decent regular mortgage offerings. Their HELOCs are ok too.

carrollmg said:   I'm in the middle of it now.  My mortgage closes in June.  My experience has been horrible.  Asked for the same thing over and over.  One rep denied getting 2 specific emails from me even though she responded to one.  They have moved me to a manager to handle my account, but so far I would never use them again.

Maybe in the next 5 weeks they turn it around.

Yeah that sounds like my experience. They say they'll still make my closing date, we will see.

kjl1977 said:   I think I'm going to jump on the 5/5 with Penfed. Devil that I know...  I also don't have a military connection, so Navy is out for me. Good news is that our closing is about 60 days out, so 15 more than Penfed demands.

Anyone can join Navy Federal by first joining the San Diego Council of the Navy League.  There's an enormous thread on this on CreditBoards.

RedWolfe01 said:   

It does look like Navy SERIOUSLY loosened up their requirements recently though, I didn't qualify before and now I do.  (as a Honorably Discharged veteran)  They used to not include the Coast Guard, Army or Air Force unless you were stationed in specific locations.  Now it is pretty much all veterans, active duty and DoD Civilians.  They even added Air and Army NG.  

It used to be a pretty complicated Q&A to determine eligibility.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably use it next time. Already started the process with Penfed and am sort of regretting it.

We signed a contract on a house about 22 days ago. The seller's agent has yet to hear from an appraiser. I had followed up with my processor on Friday and she said that the appraisal was ordered, but as of today the seller's agent has heard nothing. Meanwhile, the house we sold it only took about 8 days from contract to appraiser showing up. Ridiculous.

So I ended up crossing my fingers and going with Penfed 5/5 for my purchase. It was 39 days from contract to closing.....and it appears they are going to get it done. Closing is today, we got the clear to close yesterday. They were so late on getting numbers to title co. that I had to guess and overfund my wire yesterday.

I'll update and let you know how it goes today.

rascott said:   So I ended up crossing my fingers and going with Penfed 5/5 for my purchase. It was 39 days from contract to closing.....and it appears they are going to get it done. Closing is today, we got the clear to close yesterday. They were so late on getting numbers to title co. that I had to guess and overfund my wire yesterday.

Good luck.  I'd appreciate any tips you can give in terms of being proactive with the PenFed people to avoid any delays.  So far, I've been trying to keep in touch with the processor and keep asking on occassion if she needs anything from me.  Hoping that reduces the chances for any last second 'oopsies'. 

kjl1977 said:   rascott said:   So I ended up crossing my fingers and going with Penfed 5/5 for my purchase. It was 39 days from contract to closing.....and it appears they are going to get it done. Closing is today, we got the clear to close yesterday. They were so late on getting numbers to title co. that I had to guess and overfund my wire yesterday.

Good luck.  I'd appreciate any tips you can give in terms of being proactive with the PenFed people to avoid any delays.  So far, I've been trying to keep in touch with the processor and keep asking on occassion if she needs anything from me.  Hoping that reduces the chances for any last second 'oopsies'. 

Ok, so we got it closed.

I was actually doing an 80/10/10 loan, with the 10% being a HELOC. Penfed is fairly difficult, because the 2nd mortgage dept is totally different than the 1st, so it's basically 2 different closers and processors reviewing/approving/funding the closing.

They were both late on wiring the funds, and then we ended up with 3 versions of closing statements before they got it right....then a delay for them to actually wire the funds to title company. So closing took about 2.5 hrs.

But they did get it done, and basically on time.

As for advice....I pestered them constantly for updates from the start. They asked for the same docs multiple times throughout.....almost comically bad. There was one specific question I answered 5 different times. The 1st mortgage processor didn't answer the phone. Or return messages. Fortunately the "advisor"...(very first person I worked with, before being assigned a processor) always responded....and at least would answer questions/give updates.

In the end....it's about your diligence and patience for the inevitable incompetence. Their 5/5 ARM (at the rates and fees they offer) is still the best I have available from anyone. They did close on time and at the rate/fees promised. So I can't complain too much.

Just realize you are going to need to be very actively engaged to keep things on track.

rascott said:   
kjl1977 said:   
rascott said:   So I ended up crossing my fingers and going with Penfed 5/5 for my purchase. It was 39 days from contract to closing.....and it appears they are going to get it done. Closing is today, we got the clear to close yesterday. They were so late on getting numbers to title co. that I had to guess and overfund my wire yesterday.

Ok, so we got it closed.

I was actually doing an 80/10/10 loan, with the 10% being a HELOC. Penfed is fairly difficult, because the 2nd mortgage dept is totally different than the 1st, so it's basically 2 different closers and processors reviewing/approving/funding the closing.

They were both late on wiring the funds, and then we ended up with 3 versions of closing statements before they got it right....then a delay for them to actually wire the funds to title company. So closing took about 2.5 hrs.

But they did get it done, and basically on time.

As for advice....I pestered them constantly for updates from the start. They asked for the same docs multiple times throughout.....almost comically bad. There was one specific question I answered 5 different times. The 1st mortgage processor didn't answer the phone. Or return messages. Fortunately the "advisor"...(very first person I worked with, before being assigned a processor) always responded....and at least would answer questions/give updates.

In the end....it's about your diligence and patience for the inevitable incompetence. Their 5/5 ARM (at the rates and fees they offer) is still the best I have available from anyone. They did close on time and at the rate/fees promised. So I can't complain too much.

Just realize you are going to need to be very actively engaged to keep things on track.

That's about what I figured.  Thanks!  

So close to a pain free close...but they messed it up. We had changed the closing to an earlier date. Verified that we were all good with the processor just about every day. I get a call the Friday before the Monday close by another rep and they tell me that there was a miscommunication and they were still working according to the initial close date. They had to send out a disclosure two days prior to close, by law. So, we've had to bump the closing to two days later.

I should have known something was up, because the loan status page wasn't showing the new closing date. I just assumed, based on my communication with the processor, that it just wasn't​ updated. Word to the wise: always follow up on things like that, because other departments don't see everything you discuss with your processor.

Closed with PenFed on May 30.
Original close date was mid-June.  Seller asked if we could move the date up.  PenFed said they could do it. They did.  No issues at all.
They had great communication through the entire process. 
30 year fixed @ 3.875
0 points, 0 origination
20% down
My Loan Originator 
ETA: Table Funded.  Signed papers, got keys.  No waiting.

nu2this said:   Closed with PenFed on May 30.
Original close date was mid-June.  Seller asked if we could move the date up.  PenFed said they could do it. They did.  No issues at all.
They had great communication through the entire process. 
30 year fixed @ 3.875
0 points, 0 origination
20% down
My Loan Originator 
ETA: Table Funded.  Signed papers, got keys.  No waiting.

Yeah, it's truly luck of the draw.  I have a feeling that I got a younger/inexperienced processor.  Either that or they are just way too busy.  

Man, Penfed is a mess. So, we had all the drama on Friday about the disclosures they didn't get to us when they were supposed to. Now after getting and verifying those on Friday, they've been absolutely unresponsive and unreachable today. Nothing. And we're supposed to close in two days. Makes it a little challenging lining up movers, trucks, lawyers, and title companies when we have absolutely no word from the lender.

kjl1977 said:   Man, Penfed is a mess. So, we had all the drama on Friday about the disclosures they didn't get to us when they were supposed to. Now after getting and verifying those on Friday, they've been absolutely unresponsive and unreachable today. Nothing. And we're supposed to close in two days. Makes it a little challenging lining up movers, trucks, lawyers, and title companies when we have absolutely no word from the lender.

Sounds about right.

Total luck of the draw. My processor got things done in about a month (with a month left til closing). Mine was super responsive (same day). It's hard to beat their rates but your heart might suffer.

Our processor was, not good. There was total radio silence after the closing department told me we'd be pushed back a few days, then I heard nothing until the day before close from her. In the meantime, I left a bad review on their Facebook page and it took the head of their member service department to escalate things and make sure that we closed on the Wednesday. When she did get back to me, the processor was all like "yeah, that was weird, don't know what happened there". The good news is, it's done and I (hopefully) won't have to deal with this again for a decade or two.

I agree PenFed's customer service has crashed and burned. Just like the PenFed blimp! (Too Soon?)

Skipping 1 Messages...
Only the Mortgage service sucks -- I have never had issues with member services at all.

I did open a NavyFed account as a backup though, since they opened up their membership pool a LOT. A year ago I didn't qualify, this year all I had to do was show my DD214. The person opening my account was like "okay, I can mark that I saw and verified your 214 so you won't ever have to worry about a verification letter."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017