Using FSA to buy a Bicycle. Is it possible?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I recently opened up an FSA and signed up for way too much to go into it ($2000). I'm young and healthy and have no way of spending all of this even if I try.

I completely tore my ACL and wore through my meniscus about 2 years ago and have an MRI to prove it. Because of this, running is one of the worst things I can do because of the high impact to the injured knee which is why a bicycle would be a good piece of equipment for me.

I understand that "exercise equipment" is not reimbursable UNLESS a doctor writes a letter of medical necessity.

Does anyone know if it's likely that an ortho will write me a LMN for a bicycle if I go see them?

PS please don't recommend getting the surgery to repair it, there's no way I can get off of work for the amount of time I need

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The only way to know if a doctor would write an LMN is to ask them.

How the hell would we know?

Have you asked a doctor yet? It seems like a reasonable request. 

i had a bike fitting session ($450) reimbursed by fsa a couple years ago. all you have to do is find a doc that says biking is part of your recovery plan and is necessary. should be pretty easy with the boom in sport medicine shops springing up everywhere.

My wife has a senior friend who was able to use the FSA or HSA to pay for monthly gym membership w/ doctor's note.

I can hear the song, Sexual Healing...

ZenNUTS said:   I can hear the song, Sexual Healing...Doctor-prescribed H&B?

ablang said:   My wife has a senior friend who was able to use the FSA or HSA to pay for monthly gym membership w/ doctor's note.

I paid for my gym membership with an FSA in my 20s. Don't have to be a senior.  Dr. wrote a three line letter, and voila.  

cestmoi123 said:   
ablang said:   My wife has a senior friend who was able to use the FSA or HSA to pay for monthly gym membership w/ doctor's note.

I paid for my gym membership with an FSA in my 20s. Don't have to be a senior.  Dr. wrote a three line letter, and voila.  

Was that doctor's note good "forever", or did it come w/ an expiration date?

ablang said:   
cestmoi123 said:   

As I recall, the FSA provider asked for one annually.  

ablang said:   
cestmoi123 said:   

the LMN must have a begin date and an end date, but there's nothing preventing you from getting another letter when one expires.

My doctor said I need a high end Cervelo aero bike as part of my treatment

That brings up another question.... Does that mean I need them to write our an LMN for a specific bicycle and price? I'd hate to have the doctor write a letter for just a "bicycle" but then need to come back with a specific brand/type. I definitely want a mountain bike but have no clue what kind.

egorber said:   That brings up another question.... Does that mean I need them to write our an LMN for a specific bicycle and price? I'd hate to have the doctor write a letter for just a "bicycle" but then need to come back with a specific brand/type. I definitely want a mountain bike but have no clue what kind.

I think the previous post was a joke.  I wouldn't mind getting prescribed for that.  I have over $20k in my HSA.

Cervelo
Disclaimer
brettdoyle said:   My doctor said I need a high end Cervelo aero bike as part of my treatment
Is this the model he prescribed? It looks like rehab equipment to me!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017