Improving credit score through rent

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/credit-report-rent-payme...

Most of these services charge a fee and in exchange it helps your score, if i already have a 740 score would it be worthwhile to use these rent reporting services and paying the fee?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did you even read your own link? It says the most common scoring models don't count rent.

Start here to learn about what makes up the score and how it can be improved almost instantaneously without paying anyone or doing much work really.

740 is already good.

scripta said:   Start here to learn about what makes up the score and how it can be improved almost instantaneously without paying anyone or doing much work really.

I was surprised to see that this thread you pointed to wasn't already a "sticky" in the Finance forum.

Credit scoring must be one of the main topics that newcomers to FWF are interested in,
or at least it's a major one that they should be aware of as they are learning about personal finance issues and tips.

(I should also read through that "FAQ" thread, which I don't think I've ever done.)

I will send a "mod alert" to ask FW to consider sticky-ing it. 

If it were stickied, it would get more traffic and up-to-date discussion.

Or maybe someone could start a new stickied thread on this issue, and FW could link the old one to the new one.

It is: 
"FAQ + discussion: GETTING, KEEPING high credit / FICO scores. Glossary, data points, utilization, etc. Updated 7/23/06"    (I would suggest taking the old date out of the title)
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/634740

Rent is not a CREDIT extended to you by any financial institution. So, it cannot be reported back to the credit agencies as long as you pay on time. But when you don't pay rent (and if the landlord chooses to send it to collections then it will get reported as a collections item).

dealgain said:   Rent is not a CREDIT extended to you by any financial institution. So, it cannot be reported back to the credit agencies as long as you pay on time. But when you don't pay rent (and if the landlord chooses to send it to collections then it will get reported as a collections item).

This is not correct. Credit bureaus do track reported rent payments.

Example:
http://www.experian.com/rentbureau/rental-payment.html

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017