• filter:

suggestions for sites with a focus on finance

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I bounce between bankrate.com to yahoo finance to WSJ finance section to bloomberg.   I thought I'd poll the members here for suggestions on what finance sites/periodicals they follow and how is it working out?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
i like kiplinger magazine (about $20/year for 12 issues)... although they have lot of those content on their website as well.

rated:
FWF, Bogleheads, Mr. Money Mustache, Doctor of Credit, Flyertalk, Slickdeals

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   FWF, Bogleheads, Mr. Money Mustache, Doctor of Credit, Flyertalk, Slickdeals

So true.  Much learned from these sites.  Any more?

I'll put in a plug for whitecoatinvestor (not just for doctors) and reddit - personal finance...

rated:
In addition to the above - Investopedia for definitions/background info on various topics.

rated:
Dave Ramsey
Rachel Cruz
Listen Money Matters
Invest Talk

rated:
forbes - though their pop-over "quote of the day" nonsense is irritating

rated:
Bogleheads for mature discussion, run with lots heavily enforced rules of conduct and a low tolerance for topic deviation.

Fatwallet Finance for puerile entertainment mixed with knowledgeable and thougtful participants.

rated:
mapen said:   Bogleheads for mature discussion, run with lots heavily enforced rules of conduct and a low tolerance for topic deviation.

Fatwallet Finance for puerile entertainment mixed with knowledgeable and thougtful participants.

You seem to have a bias towards "stay the course" over "H&B", "put it on red" and "crown vic"

rated:
damastaodisasta said:   
mapen said:   Bogleheads for mature discussion, run with lots heavily enforced rules of conduct and a low tolerance for topic deviation.

You seem to have a bias towards "stay the course" over "H&B", "put it on red" and "crown vic"

Don't forget to ask for pics. I think that actually has a higher success rate that the other items mentioned. 

rated:

so what's the most useful advice you've gotten on boglehads

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

so what's the most useful advice you've gotten on bogleheads

To ignore noise.

rated:
Thanks for the whitecoatinvestor link. This is literally right up our ally, such a fortuitous post. Thanks.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

so what's the most useful advice you've gotten on boglehads

Hard to pick the most useful, but I've gotten useful information on ISOs, AMT, high-yield bond strategies, DAFs, mega-backdoor Roth conversions, estate planning, etc, etc.

rated:
henry33 said:   damastaodisasta said:   You seem to have a bias towards "stay the course" over "H&B", "put it on red" and "crown vic"
Don't forget to ask for pics. I think that actually has a higher success rate that the other items mentioned. 

erm, a "success" rate of < 1% !

rated:
oppidum said:   
henry33 said:   
damastaodisasta said:   You seem to have a bias towards "stay the course" over "H&B", "put it on red" and "crown vic"

But that might be higher than the other 3 mentioned. At least every once in a while someone actually posts a pic. The other ones, who knows? No one actually comes back and say they did it. 

rated:
henry33 said:   
oppidum said:   
henry33 said:   
damastaodisasta said:   You seem to have a bias towards "stay the course" over "H&B", "put it on red" and "crown vic"

But that might be higher than the other 3 mentioned. At least every once in a while someone actually posts a pic. The other ones, who knows? No one actually comes back and say they did it. 

I am not sure if you are defining "success rate" by how many people actually do the thing, or how many admit on FW to having done the thing.

In many years, I recall seeing 4 or 5 photos after a pic has been requested (and I can remember hazily how each of the photos looked, since it was so rare -- for example, there was a hairdresser ex-girlfriend with crazy hair, nasheedb's girlfriend on a beach in front of a rock formation I think - that one was posted with her permission -, also maybe one of nasheedb's awful cheap hotel room in romania with crazy carpet, one of a young fella just a couple of weeks ago who is taking a poster's daughter away to live in Australia, and, a long time ago, one of a woman who posted a pic or two of herself after getting requests - I think that was the only time I saw someone post a pic of themselves here),

oh and of course there are the pics of things, which I don't consider in the same category of the "pic?" challenge/dare, which to me is more about pics of people --
the things include the Pennsylvania escalator, the broken backyard drainage pipe that empties out into a publicly-owned thicket, the fence that is falling down, the fluffy chickens, the animation of the handyman's truck that pulls up too close to his neighbor's house and makes tracks in the earth next to the driveway, the cctv film of a vehicle crashing into a tree...

I think I saw one or two mentions of someone buying a Crown Vic -- I didn't pay attention to that one because it isn't something I grasped the implications/appeal of,

I think I've seen one or two posters talk about spending money on H (one said that he was married as well, and he still posts here - I recall his username, but won't post it).

But even if they don't post about it, I am quite sure that more than a couple of FW posters have dabbled in either H or B, or both H&B.  (Just statistically, it would be more than a handful of people, across the site and over the years.)  There are good reasons not to go public with those activities, of course.

rated:
mapen said:   Bogleheads ... run with lots heavily enforced rules of conduct and a low tolerance for topic deviation.
  Also an intolerance for suggestions. Here's another example.  And another. Oh wait, here's another.  They just keep on coming.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017