• filter:

Sticky Finance Threads

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Ironically this thread will be sticky.

Over the next week or so, please answer these questions in the thread.

Are there any finance threads that should no long be sticky?

What finance threads should be sticky that are not?

Which sticky finance threads can you not live without?

What is the ideal amount of sticky threads in finance?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You did notice you have 2 stickys for credit cards. Maybe merge them together.

forbin4040 (Apr. 14, 2017 @ 5:29p) |

Thanks everyone for your input. For now I do not think we are going to make any changes, but its always great to get fee... (more)

Neilium (Apr. 23, 2017 @ 4:53p) |

This is an excellent idea that I can support... but I can also see why changes probably won't happen.  The format of thi... (more)

diffeldoof (Apr. 23, 2017 @ 8:48p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What the heck is a sticky finance thread?

rated:
How I feel on the subject is that there's way too many when they take up over half of the threads on the first page of FWF... (or perhaps there's a setting to allow more threads that I've overlooked?)

As to the "right" number of sticky threads? Personally I think no more than 6 is probably appropriate but I'm not sure how best to trim the fat / who should stay & who should go

rated:
Removing "TIME = MONEY: Collection of FWF strategies to **SAVE TIME** (even if it costs $)" will save time for me having to click page 2.

rated:
I just click the "not interested" toggle/button so stickies don't bother me.

rated:
As a saver, I always click on the stickied CD thread and High-APY Liquid threads whenever there is a new post. I would hate to see either one of those two go.

I almost never look at any of the other stickied threads.

Personally, I'm fine with the number of stickied threads as, like Russell said, it's easy enough to just ignore the ones I'm not interested in.

rated:
RussellJohnson said:   I just click the "not interested" toggle/button so stickies don't bother me.

I love learning new things. Thank you for this.

rated:
Personally, I feel like the "Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards" thread is not necessary when there is a "What Credit Card Should I Get ? FAQ" thread as well.

The App-o-Rama game is coming to an end with banks getting more strict on bonuses so that one is a candidate for me.

Why not merge the "Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts," "CD Thread, Post The Best Rates You Can Find Here!--Best Nationally Available Rates--" and "Reward Checking Accounts (High Yield and Available to All)"?

What if a new (locked) thread is created that has some of the Finance 101 threads linked from there? That way the current threads don't get buried forever but can still be accessed and the main page is less cluttered.

rated:
the era of App-O-Rama's is on life support so that can go. Same for the Balance transfer thread (0% offers are few and probably can get their own threads)

rated:
devyanks90 said:   the era of App-O-Rama's is on life support so that can go. Same for the Balance transfer thread (0% offers are few and probably can get their own threads)

Seeing these threads still bring back memories of the good ol' days and what originally brought me to FWF. While I'd hate to see them go, they are no longer useful and could be reinstated at a time that they can hopefully once again be relevant.

rated:
Not only can you hide the sticky threads you don't want to see but you can also create your own sticky threads.

I would suggest one sticky thread with links to all of the important posts in it. Then people can create their own stickies from that list.

rated:
Yes. This one!
Sticky "Class Actions" in finance.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Removing "TIME = MONEY: Collection of FWF strategies to **SAVE TIME** (even if it costs $)" will save time for me having to click page 2.

Removing it is self-fulfilling!

rated:
bigbard27 said:   How I feel on the subject is that there's way too many when they take up over half of the threads on the first page of FWF... (or perhaps there's a setting to allow more threads that I've overlooked?)

As to the "right" number of sticky threads? Personally I think no more than 6 is probably appropriate but I'm not sure how best to trim the fat / who should stay & who should go

Forum Settings --> Forums Content - Topics & Messages - Change Topic & Message Settings

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/account/change_forum_topics_mes...

I have topics per page set to 60 to cover all the stickys plus my own stickys.

That's another thing, you can sticky your own threads. With that in mind, the number of true stickys should probably be less rather than more.

rated:
Why not just make 1 sticky thread and then put all the current stickies in there?

rated:
Thank you for your responses so far. I will leave this sticky for about a week. Then we will decided what action to take, if any at all.

rated:
Whatever you do, keep the new users thread!

rated:
PhDeez said:   Why not just make 1 sticky thread and then put all the current stickies in there?

I was thinking that, but then you wouldn't see how many new posts and have the link to new posts. Unless there's a way to do that.

rated:
Another idea that I think is important is that if a thread is sticky it needs to have accurate info in either the OP or QS sections. The Mortgage rate thread, Best CD rate threads are both examples of this. The QS hasn't been updated with recent rates, and the OP hasn't been updated in years.

Not saying they shouldn't stay, but maybe some guidelines for formatting sticky posts are needed.

rated:
I vote for no sticky threads. This way, I can easily see if there are new posts in those threads. If a thread is really helpful, it will have enough posts to keep it "like sticky" anyway.

rated:
I vote for consolidating them into a single post with pointers to the others.

THere are too many now.

rated:
Keep the Best balance Transfer thread and What Credit Card Should I get thread. They both serve valuable purposes.

rated:
scoutconnor said:   Personally, I feel like the "Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards" thread is not necessary when there is a "What Credit Card Should I Get ? FAQ" thread as well.

Argyll said:   Keep the Best balance Transfer thread and What Credit Card Should I get thread. They both serve valuable purposes.

We're never going to agree on this. Maybe one sticky thread with links to the most useful threads should be implemented. Each user can then decide which thread (from that list or just whatever they feel like) that they want to add as their own sticky. Personally, I have threads like these as stickies, just to name a few:

StickyChase Sapphire Reserve - 100k point bonus after $4k spend - $450 annual fee 
StickyHSA FAQ 
StickyWhere can you buy third party gift cards with store gift cards? 

rated:
I don't understand the point of this thread.  Are classic view users unable to mark threads as sticky? 

rated:
Neilium said:   Ironically this thread will be sticky.

Over the next week or so, please answer these questions in the thread.

Are there any finance threads that should no long be sticky?

What finance threads should be sticky that are not?

Which sticky finance threads can you not live without?

What is the ideal amount of sticky threads in finance?

With all due respect, after all these years, why would you suddenly call into question the stickies that have been there for years? New here? Looking for something to do to make your mark? Please don't be one of those new youngsters that get hired onto a website who "boldly" destroy the content that long time users have spent years creating, "because not shiny anymore".

Keep the bank rate (CD and savings account) ones at least.

In order for a useful thread like those to keep being useful, they must be able to survive a couple weeks of inactivity. They need to be stickied to keep people aware of them and remind them of their existance..

rated:
jerosen said:   I vote for consolidating them into a single post with pointers to the others.

THere are too many now.

Non sticky threads will die. And that includes the ones that are contained in second generation links like your proposal. Stickying them keeps them relevant and in people's mind even with weeks of inactivity.

What is really being asked here is "which of these topics are ok to kill"?

rated:
PhDeez said:   Why not just make 1 sticky thread and then put all the current stickies in there?

The point of a sticky is to keep it front and center in people's minds. Hiding it in a single thread (and thus hiding update alerts) is just going to kill those threads.

rated:
sfchris said:   With all due respect, after all these years, why would you suddenly call into question the stickies that have been there for years? New here? Looking for something to do to make your mark? Please don't be one of those new youngsters that get hired onto a website who "boldly" destroy the content that long time users have spent years creating, "because not shiny anymore".

Keep the bank rate (CD and savings account) ones at least.

In order for a useful thread like those to keep being useful, they must be able to survive a couple weeks of inactivity. They need to be stickied to keep people aware of them.

This is a subject that gets brought up every now and then. I just wanted to try get the communities opinion on the matter. In all likely hood, we might just say "Its not broke so why fix it", but I at least wanted to just ask what people thought. I guess the best way to put it is you do not know if you do not ask. 

rated:
Very useful sticky thread gets stale because the OP had moved on. One solution is to move the Wiki post which sits below the OP to the top, maybe after a certain time.

rated:
Some of the stickys are decades old, outdated, irrelevant. Time to clean house.

rated:
I may have provided one of the impetuses for this discussion with my comment last week in: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1562490 

"I was surprised to see that this thread you pointed to wasn't already a "sticky" in the Finance forum.

Credit scoring must be one of the main topics that newcomers to FWF are interested in,
or at least it's a major one that they should be aware of as they are learning about personal finance issues and tips.

(I should also read through that "FAQ" thread, which I don't think I've ever done.)

I will send a "mod alert" to ask FW to consider sticky-ing it.

If it were stickied, it would get more traffic and up-to-date discussion.

Or maybe someone could start a new stickied thread on this issue, and FW could link the old one to the new one.

"FAQ + discussion: GETTING, KEEPING high credit / FICO scores. Glossary, data points, utilization, etc. Updated 7/23/06" (I would suggest taking the old date out of the title)
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/634740" 

====
====
The "stickies" topic has gone round and round on FW for years -- every once in a while, opinions will be sought about it, sort of like how opinions are sought about improving the Travel and Grocery forums, and then not much will be done.

The attitude isn't so much "if it's not 'broke', why fix it" but "since it's broken anyway, improving it will be a bit controversial and time-consuming, so let's have a different staff member take a little look at it for a week or two, and then leave it the way it was".

Fatwallet has "lost" a lot of good information and discussion threads by not having a way to denote the ones that are particularly good / helpful / popular-at-least-at-one-time / of-reference-quality,
and then by archiving most threads so quickly that they are hidden from user searches and do not accept further comments to be placed on them even when they are dug up by people interested in the topic.

People who have been around here a long time might have their own ways to placehold their favorite threads, or just remember that they are there and know how to find them, but new visitors to the site won't have any idea that this information was even here to begin with.

Not only does that reduce the utility and allure of the site to new people who drop in to have a look and see what it's about,
as well as to frequent visitors who don't have an easy way of seeing what the best threads were in the years before they started visiting,

but it encourages so many copycat threads that bring up the same old stuff over and over,
and there are only so many times that a knowledgeable, long-term contributor to the site is going to type out the same old advice about the same old thing for a new person who has started a new thread (thinking they are bringing up a topic that hasn't been touched on before).

(Yes, you can tell people to do a search before posting a topic, but the search function is bad, the archived threads can become hidden in the system, and many people don't want to take the time to do a search and to read through several meandering threads, they just want the answer given to them 'now'.)

I've said all this before, too, several times.

---
1. It's a good idea to point out the best and most helpful threads on the site that contain great information that stands the test of time.

Especially now that FW isn't a cashback site, what is the point of it, what of value do they have left? It's the shared info and advice.

---
2. The best and most useful threads are not necessarily going to always be at the top of the "most recent comments" view of looking at the forum [which a lot of visitors here don't even use -- I don't], but that does not mean that they are out-dated and pointless.

---
3. The solution of making a few threads "stickies" at the top of a subforum is just one possible way to highlight the best/most-useful/reference-source-level threads here.

It was a quick and agile (easy to undo) way to do it, but if there are not people "curating" the site and its knowledge content, then it's all going to drift and some of the stickies will become space-wasting fossils.

Then when a few people say, "Hey what are all these space-wasting ancient threads doing at the top of my view?", every few years the stickies are cleared out and some are removed. That doesn't go to the heart of the issue, but rather throws another layer of dirt over the larger quantity of buried classic threads and classic topics.
(Of course, many old threads were only of their time and place, and contain out-dated information, or pointless chatter, and are best consigned to the dustbin of history.)

---
4. Then we come round to asking why FW doesn't do a very good job of organizing and showcasing the topics that are discussed and keeping an easy-to-use "library" of the most valued knowledge that has passed through here (and has mostly been lost/forgotten) over the years,

and the answer is that they do classify topics, they do provide one or two ways to pick out the sub-topic you are interested in, the topics are indeed categorized and made available to visitors,

and the answer is that it's not really meant to be a reference type of website but an of-the-current-moment discussion website (that used to be about cashback mainly and coupons, but isn't now),

and the answer is that if some visitors want to volunteer their time to make the most of certain threads and topics and keep them highlighted and active, they can do so with their own efforts (and a few stalwarts do that, but many have left the site by now),

then one or two stickies are removed, and one might be added,
then it goes quiet for a while,

and new (or unwitting) people will still put up new threads about the same old topics, asking for the dedicated oldies to type out the advice they've typed out dozens of times before,
but it all dwindles,

and it's hard to remember how helpful and active the site used to be --

Admittedly, times have certainly changed on the wider stage -- the areas of coupons/savings and financial tips/angles/deals aren't what they once were, and there are many more information sources on the internet (blogs, social media, other forums).

=====
I think all the stickies should be removed from the top of every subforum -- except for one that is addressed to new visitors that contains all the info that a new visitor should know about the site, about how to post something, about how to search for a topic, how the forums are divided up, how to vote red/green, etc. etc.

I think that the best/classic/reference-quality threads should be highlighted in a different way, other than being stickied. Maybe they have their own forum, maybe there is a button that links to them, who knows.

[The people who want a notice/an alert that a new message has been added to a certain thread can be informed of that without needing the thread to be "stickied" and in the (visual) way of everyone else who visits that subforum.]

=====
I also still think that there are some subforums that hardly get any traffic and should be folded into other forums, such as Technology, Travel, Grocery -- put them in Deal Discussion or Hot Deals (which is really not about "hot" deals now, but about any deals, so could simply be called "Deals").

The few things in grocery can be easily put into Deals -- labelled with a grocery label so the people who want email alerts and to be able to sort the page only seeing grocery-related threads can easily do that.

To add insult to injury, the Technology forum was actually pranked by the Off Topic forum the other day, being teased because so few people put new threads there.
Most Technology threads actually could be in Deal Discussion, again with a special label so the people who only care about technology-related threads can see just those, on their own, by sorting Deal Discussion accordingly.
A third of the Technology threads are already hit with multiple labels since they straddle so many subforums like Computers and Deal Discussion and whatnot.

The Online Auction forum has totally dried up, just put it into Deal Discussion.
There are more subforums that I haven't even visited which probably are pretty quiet nowadays.

Streamline the site, snazz up its appearance, bring it into the 21st Century, focus on the value that it still does have/offer, most of which is due to the contributors and what they built up over the past 10-15 years.

=======
After I say something like this, then I might get a PM saying, in so many words, "What are your ideas, do you want to choose a topic to sponsor and to personally patrol a thread about, etc." and then I might give some ideas, but then I'll say, "I've been asked this before, I've given the same ideas before, it's same situation with different personnel... I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem to make a difference in the end, so what is the point", and then things will go quiet for a year or two. 
Maybe with the loss of cashback and the lack of success with drumming up different identities for the place, maybe some of the reference-level stuff will be resuscitated and showcased, maybe that will encourage people to add to it and build up a personal finance reference resource/library that is fit for modern times. 
Or maybe not, it's okay, this information is out there online if one even knows to look for it (which many don't; there are a lot of topics which I don't even know that I should become aware of), and times move on.

rated:
I doubt most of us even know the full gamut of stickied threads, long time users have been here long enough and have un-stuck some/most/all. If you visit fatwallet in incognito mode (and not counting this one), 65% of the first page (13 out of 20) is stickied threads. That has to be extremely intimidating to any new user: Ignoring this thread and the 'star of the week', the total age of the other 12 threads is 114 YEARS. Which is fine because there are 68000 posts in those threads, it will take you the full 114 years to catch back up.

My suggestion is that many of the sticky threads be replaced with a select few sticky threads that cover the groups. Bold are items that aren't currently stickied, but I think should be added.

1. Welcome new users
!!! WELCOME NEW USERS !!! Ask your questions here! (flame-free) !!!
List of helpful links to other websites

2. Best rates
Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards
CD Thread, Post The Best Rates You Can Find Here!--Best Nationally Available Rates
Best Mortgage Rates from Big & Reputable Lenders
Reward Checking Accounts (High Yield and Available to All)
Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

2. FAQ
FW Finance FAQ: IRA plans, 401(k) plans and rollovers to IRAs - 2014 UPDATE
The INVESTMENT / RENTAL PROPERTY thread!!!!!!
What Credit Card Should I Get ?
Links to the great, older threads that are worth reviewing (like IBjanky)

3. Advanced Finance Strategies
 SIS comes back with the App-O-Rama FAQ
 TIME = MONEY: Collection of FWF strategies to **SAVE TIME** (even if it costs $)
Links to the great, older threads that are worth reviewing (like heavy hitters)

rated:
I vote for sticking flame free, and then the rest all under one sticky post that you can't post to (ie locked post).
I think this is a tough environment to post in and the flame free thread should be highlighted. The rest can be rolled up into one sticky post for those who want to drill in.

My two cents

rated:
Thank you everyone for your feed back so far. It is really great to have so many passionate members who are willing to be active in the community and help make it better every day.

rated:
You did notice you have 2 stickys for credit cards. Maybe merge them together.

rated:
Thanks everyone for your input. For now I do not think we are going to make any changes, but its always great to get feed back.

rated:
Czechmeout said:   I doubt most of us even know the full gamut of stickied threads, long time users have been here long enough and have un-stuck some/most/all. If you visit fatwallet in incognito mode (and not counting this one), 65% of the first page (13 out of 20) is stickied threads. That has to be extremely intimidating to any new user: Ignoring this thread and the 'star of the week', the total age of the other 12 threads is 114 YEARS. Which is fine because there are 68000 posts in those threads, it will take you the full 114 years to catch back up.

My suggestion is that many of the sticky threads be replaced with a select few sticky threads that cover the groups. Bold are items that aren't currently stickied, but I think should be added.

1. Welcome new users
!!! WELCOME NEW USERS !!! Ask your questions here! (flame-free) !!!
List of helpful links to other websites

2. Best rates
Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards
CD Thread, Post The Best Rates You Can Find Here!--Best Nationally Available Rates
Best Mortgage Rates from Big & Reputable Lenders
Reward Checking Accounts (High Yield and Available to All)
Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts

2. FAQ
FW Finance FAQ: IRA plans, 401(k) plans and rollovers to IRAs - 2014 UPDATE
The INVESTMENT / RENTAL PROPERTY thread!!!!!!
What Credit Card Should I Get ?
Links to the great, older threads that are worth reviewing (like IBjanky)

3. Advanced Finance Strategies
 SIS comes back with the App-O-Rama FAQ
 TIME = MONEY: Collection of FWF strategies to **SAVE TIME** (even if it costs $)
Links to the great, older threads that are worth reviewing (like heavy hitters)

This is an excellent idea that I can support... but I can also see why changes probably won't happen.  The format of this forum would make it even more daunting to layer the topics into yet another level.  It's not like Facebook or Reddit where you can neatly group replies to sub-questions within a thread since it uses the the nested quoting system to handle divergent conversations.  In a thread like this, no big deal... but in a thread like the Investment Property thread, you have to read the thing every single day to stay on top of it.  The search function helps to isolate specific ideas, but it is still easy for your question to get buried and not get the attention it would if it was its own thread.  So... absent a major overhaul of the forum system, I'd bet maybe adding more stickies and letting users un-sticky them is probably what we'll see happen.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017