Flexible spending account renewal

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Have you ever had or heard of a FSA plan that did not automatically renew for the next year?  With the exception of changing providers or coverage I thought most plans automatically renew pretty much everything (401k, medical, FSA) if you don't do anything.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FSA should not auto renew since it is a commitment to spend certain amount of money or lose it.

FSA elections default to $0, you have to actively make the election each year.

It's in our plan documents and emails every year - "Unlike all your other benefits, you must renew your election for your flexible spending account..."

I'll pile on.  You must reconfirm during open enrollment.  Along the same vein, my wife's company automatically ups your 401k contribution by .5% annually to maximize the company match, and lets you continue automatic increases up to 12% (I think).  This is their default configuration.  You can change it, but must consciously do so.  Er, I guess you can do it unconsciously too.

honkinggoose said:   I'll pile on.  You must reconfirm during open enrollment.  Along the same vein, my wife's company automatically ups your 401k contribution by .5% annually to maximize the company match, and lets you continue automatic increases up to 12% (I think).  This is their default configuration.  You can change it, but must consciously do so.  Er, I guess you can do it unconsciously too.
  On important difference:
You cannot change FSA election or contribution amount mid-year, unless some specific qualifying event happens.
401k contribution can usually be changed at any time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017