Avoiding closing fee with Chase checking

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I opened a checking account with Chase on September 2, 2016  and got a $300 sign-up bonus on October 4, 2016.  How long do I have to wait to close the account so that I get to keep the bonus and not be charged any closing fee? What is the easiest way to close it?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

At least six months which you technically have. Personally, I would give it a few more months. However if you contact your Chase banker, they can change the type of account you have to a basic checking requiring only $1500.00 to be free of monthly fees.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-checking-300-savings-200-bon...

JW10 said:   At least six months which you technically have. Personally, I would give it a few more months. However if you contact your Chase banker, they can change the type of account you have to a basic checking requiring only $1500.00 to be free of monthly fees.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-checking-300-savings-200-bon...

Six months is what I have seen and I have closed Chase checking accounts (several times) right after six months without any issue. Zero-out the balance and send a bank mail to close it.

I opened an account recently and did not find an "early closure fee" listed. I could not find it in any of the documents they give upon signing up. Not sure if this is new or I am not looking carefully. 

fwuser12 said:   Zero-out the balance and send a bank mail to close it.

How do you send a bank mail to Chase to close your checking account?

I just zero out the balance and let it automatically close.

That won't work if you have to do something with the account to avoid fees.

read your link about min 1500 to avoid fee

looking at the rules posted

MIN BALANCE TO AVOID MONTHLY FEE $1500

OTHER WAYS TO AVOID MONTHLY FEE Direct Deposits totaling $500 or more made to this account OR an average daily balance of $5,000 or more in any combination of qualifying linked deposits/investments.

that checking account only need 1500 monthly to avoid fee? If that true then why they saying 5k daily balance in linked deposit/investments? why would it matter if the min is 1500 in the account monthly?

sechs said:   I just zero out the balance and let it automatically close.

I was actually told by branch staff that that zeroing out the balance would work.  I zeroed out the balance, they left the account open and assessed an insufficient balance fee (to reflect the balance after I zeroed out the account, not before).  I went back to the branch, which reversed the fee bringing it back down to zero, which I ws told will close the account.  I was then credited a penny interest, so the account remained open.  It remained open with the penny balance (and no further fees) for a few monthes, until I went to the branch and withdrew the penny (which required the requisit ID) and specifically closed the account.  
This information may not reflect current policy, as I withdrew the pennhy and closed the account at the World Trade Center branch, which obviously ceased to exist.

cows123 said:   
sechs said:   I just zero out the balance and let it automatically close.

I was actually told by branch staff that that zeroing out the balance would work.  I zeroed out the balance, they left the account open and assessed an insufficient balance fee (to reflect the balance after I zeroed out the account, not before).  I went back to the branch, which reversed the fee bringing it back down to zero, which I ws told will close the account.  I was then credited a penny interest, so the account remained open.  It remained open with the penny balance (and no further fees) for a few monthes, until I went to the branch and withdrew the penny (which required the requisit ID) and specifically closed the account.  
This information may not reflect current policy, as I withdrew the pennhy and closed the account at the World Trade Center branch, which obviously ceased to exist.

I have a grandfathered business account that waives the fee on a personal checking account.  So, I never have to do anything to cover the fees.

I second zeroing out your balance and then sending them a message through their online banking system.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017